Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ITALIAN GREYHOUND

• 21-01-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I recently adopted an Italian Greyhound from a local rescue. They seem to be rare enough in this country and only my friends in greyhound rescue even recognize what she is! Most people think she is a greyhound puppy or a whippet. I am wondering if there are any other Iggy owners on here, I've joined a few Facebook groups but it would be good to know if anyone's vet has experience with this breed.
    She is an adorable dog, fabulous temperment and great fun. I'm really surprised they are not more popular.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm sorry I have experience to offer, but what a beauty!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm really surprised they are not more popular.

They do have a reputation of being rather fragile (just look at those long, thin legs)...rarity and price probably don't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

One of the most fun things about an Italian Greyhound (and many sighthounds in general) you get to buy them jumpers, onesies and jackets, not only because they look good, but it's practical as well. /Envy.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I met two on a train in the UK couple of years ago, they were so sweet and curled up into such tiny spaces, we sat by them and had cuddles for ages, the guy had them in a kind of backpack! About the floor space of a cat carrier but much taller, they sat upright side by side very comfortably, he said it was safest way to get on and off trains in busy station without them getting stepped on or hurt. They also had fleeces on, and I would love one myself one day, but worry about exercise requirements.
    They had such lovely natures and he said they were amazing pets, but did like to chase so he had to be careful about where he let them off, and he said they were great at jumping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marylennon86

Wow have you came across any breeders or owners in ireland? Italian greyhound is my dream dog but cannot seem to find a breeder. I'm also in iggy groups on facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I love Italian greyhounds! Our family dog is a cross between an Italian greyhound and a pug. I know it sounds like a strange combination, but he is so cute and has the sweetest temperament. I love the way his curls his legs up underneath him when he jumps.
    Our biggest struggle is not overfeeding him. He LOVES to eat and my stepdad loves to give him whatever he begs for. So he's got this round, sausage body that his long skinny legs have to support and it's not good for him.
    He does love his sweaters though! My mother knits him his own sweaters. They live in Florida, so he doesn't get to wear them that much, but when he does he looks quite handsome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I love Italian greyhounds! Our family dog is a cross between an Italian greyhound and a pug. I know it sounds like a strange combination, but he is so cute and has the sweetest temperament. I love the way his curls his legs up underneath him when he jumps.
    Our biggest struggle is not overfeeding him. He LOVES to eat and my stepdad loves to give him whatever he begs for. So he's got this round, sausage body that his long skinny legs have to support and it's not good for him.
    He does love his sweaters though! My mother knits him his own sweaters. They live in Florida, so he doesn't get to wear them that much, but when he does he looks quite handsome!

photo please?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

aonb wrote: »
    photo please?!

Well if you insist!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Wow have you came across any breeders or owners in ireland? Italian greyhound is my dream dog but cannot seem to find a breeder. I'm also in iggy groups on facebook

I have only met one other person who has an Italian Greyhound in the seven months I have had Ziggy. Unfortunately the dog wasn't with her at the time. She got her from a breeder in Kerry but she said that that person was not going to breed anymore. Her puppy was seven months old and had broken her leg twice already:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

just looked them up, looks very fragile....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Well if you insist!! :D

Thats so cute - the colouring, tail and head of the Pug are very obvious...

OP, your attached photo is blank (or is it just me thats having problems) My friend had blue Italian Greyhounds - beautiful elegant little creatures. Very prone to cold and being so light would terrify you when they flew by at high speed, fearing injury! I seem to remember she said hip dysplasia was common in the breed? Also known for their attachment to their humans, and very bright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aonb wrote: »
    OP, your attached photo is blank (or is it just me thats having problems)

This thread was started 7 months ago... I'm assuming the op has removed the photo from the photo hosting website album in the interim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marylennon86

I have only met one other person who has an Italian Greyhound in the seven months I have had Ziggy. Unfortunately the dog wasn't with her at the time. She got her from a breeder in Kerry but she said that that person was not going to breed anymore. Her puppy was seven months old and had broken her leg twice already:(

Yes I remember there being iggy pups for sale on donedeal in kerry but unfortunately never saved the seller's contact details. Looks like my only option is getting one from the uk

I didn't remove it. Don't know what happened. I'll try and post another of my little monster!

Here's a couple of photos. Hope you can open them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

oi..how tiny...I'd be way too weary they'd break...>melts<:p

oi..how tiny...I'd be way too weary they'd break...>melts<:p

Everyone comments on how fragile she looks but she's a little toughie. Likes nothing more than playing rough and tumble with a couple of little doggie friends that she has. She holds no prisoners!

Advertisement