Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to sign a new Contract every year?

Options
  • 21-01-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Just some quick background.

Was in my last property for about 7 years and after the 1st year (day one) was never asked to re-sign a new contract (rent changed, as agreed between me and the landlord during this time, but was never put to paper)

I moved into a new property almost a year ago, my landlord has said to me that since our 1st year is now finished, that they'll drop out a new contract soon to sign and review (for another year)

Is this normal? I understand it gives me more security in terms of Not being evicted and not having my rent raised.

But I don't see any major benefits to me really and think the landlord would just like the security of shoring up another year of guaranteed, hassle free rent (I'm a very good tenant and have glowing references).

I was under the impression I'm now on a "Rolling" contract, same as if I had Sky TV for a year or got a phone from vodafone on billet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cormac... wrote: »
    Just some quick background.

Was in my last property for about 7 years and after the 1st year (day one) was never asked to re-sign a new contract (rent changed, as agreed between me and the landlord during this time, but was never put to paper)

I moved into a new property almost a year ago, my landlord has said to me that since our 1st year is now finished, that they'll drop out a new contract soon to sign and review (for another year)

Is this normal? I understand it gives me more security in terms of Not being evicted and not having my rent raised.

But I don't see any major benefits to me really and think the landlord would just like the security of shoring up another year of guaranteed, hassle free rent (I'm a very good tenant and have glowing references).

I was under the impression I'm now on a "Rolling" contract, same as if I had Sky TV for a year or got a phone from vodafone on billet

You are under a Part 4 tenancy if you do not sign a lease now. Have a read on the Threshold and PRTB web sites re the exact meaning of this. When my 11 month lease here ended I opted not to sign another and am now in the 4th year which gives me a longer notice period.

Advertisement