Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value hotels in SF & NY

Options
  • 21-01-2016 3:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm in the middle of trying to put together a trip to the US for this summer, taking in San Fran and New York as well as a stop or two in between (budget and time allowing).

Given the state of the exchange rate it's working out an expensive affair so I'm looking to cut corners where I can - at the same time, though, I'd like to know we're not going to a dingy hotel.

Given how deceptive websites and online reviews can be, can anyone here recommend some good value hotels for either city. The more central the better, but failing that somewhere that's not going to be too hard to get to/from.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Hmmm, value is thin on the ground in either city. I wouldn't recommend the place I stayed in last time I was in San Fran, but my friends stayed here

http://hayesvalleyinn.com/

They had to share a bathroom, but apart from that, it was lovely and reasonably priced. And in a very nice area too. Other time I was there, I settled for a Holiday Inn near Fisherman's Wharf, which still cost a fortune. Public transport is good in San Fran, so I wouldn't worry about staying outside the center. I'd also consider Airbnb.

Cant really help you with NYC. Last couple of times I was there, I overpaid in both Manhatttan and Long Island

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hmmm, value is thin on the ground in either city. I wouldn't recommend the place I stayed in last time I was in San Fran, but my friends stayed here

http://hayesvalleyinn.com/

They had to share a bathroom, but apart from that, it was lovely and reasonably priced. And in a very nice area too. Other time I was there, I settled for a Holiday Inn near Fisherman's Wharf, which still cost a fortune. Public transport is good in San Fran, so I wouldn't worry about staying outside the center. I'd also consider Airbnb.

Cant really help you with NYC. Last couple of times I was there, I overpaid in both Manhatttan and Long Island

Yeah - I know I'm not exactly going to hidden gems that you can get for a song, exchange rate aside!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd heard transport was good in San Fran so know I don't need to be on union square. Was in NY a few years ago and feel it's the same once you're close to a subway station.

Had a look at AirBnB and it's not working out any better than hotels - in fact it's a lot worse in many cases, which is a bit of a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

flogen wrote: »
    Yeah - I know I'm not exactly going to hidden gems that you can get for a song, exchange rate aside!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'd heard transport was good in San Fran so know I don't need to be on union square. Was in NY a few years ago and feel it's the same once you're close to a subway station.

Had a look at AirBnB and it's not working out any better than hotels - in fact it's a lot worse in many cases, which is a bit of a surprise

No problem. Yep, I've actually found that myself with Airbnb lately, not that much value in it anymore.

Advertisement