Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QQI Level 5 - Nursing Studies/ Emergency Care Personnel Query

Options
  • 21-01-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

So this course has caught my eye, it's the QQI Level 5 - Nursing Studies/ Emergency Care Personnel in Limerick. It's a one year PLC course.

If completed, does this stand in lieu of a leaving certificate?

I have emailed the HSE and received a very kind and informative reply although it was said that PHECC require 6 passes either honours or pass in the leaving certificate? But on the HSE website it says a minimum of 5 is allowed?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

So this course has caught my eye, it's the QQI Level 5 - Nursing Studies/ Emergency Care Personnel in Limerick. It's a one year PLC course.

If completed, does this stand in lieu of a leaving certificate?

I have emailed the HSE and received a very kind and informative reply although it was said that PHECC require 6 passes either honours or pass in the leaving certificate? But on the HSE website it says a minimum of 5 is allowed?

Any help greatly appreciated!

From my expierence that's nonsense. Phecc didnt set that stadards ucd did when they became the hse's educational partner, before them they only asked for a good standard of general education in their recruitments.

Last time(which is liable) to change from each recruitment drive the hse asked for a leaving cert with 5 passes at ordinary level one to be maths and one to be science. They have taken the emt course in lieu of science before.

Look at the dfb, they train paramedics and only require a junior cert, their educational partner is the rcsi.

The hse will only take a degree in lieu on a leaving cert is seems, ao a level 7 or above type of course. Bit mad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

From my expierence that's nonsense. Phecc didnt set that stadards ucd did when they became the hse's educational partner, before them they only asked for a good standard of general education in their recruitments.

Last time(which is liable) to change from each recruitment drive the hse asked for a leaving cert with 5 passes at ordinary level one to be maths and one to be science. They have taken the emt course in lieu of science before.

Look at the dfb, they train paramedics and only require a junior cert, their educational partner is the rcsi.

The hse will only take a degree in lieu on a leaving cert is seems, ao a level 7 or above type of course. Bit mad really.

Really appreciate that GoPro!

DFB never crossed my mind, cheers for that.

Just got a confirmation email on the leaving certificate entry requirements stating that from 2015, the minimum is 6 passes either at honours or pass.

It's a bit mad to think that the HSE currently have paramedics that may not have done a leaving cert but have a good standard of education and yet today, it's near impossible for mature students to gain entry (Correct me if I'm wrong there).

Thanks again, would love to hear more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Normally the application forms will state "or equivalent", on the national framework of qualifications QQI Level 5 is the equivalent as a leaving cert, but yet the Hse/Ucd seem to have made their own conclusion that you need a level 7.

It's a bit of a sham in the sense that you can apply for medicine or practically any other course as a mature student with no previous qualifications and still be considered, yet the Hse/Ucd will turn you down immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Normally the application forms will state "or equivalent", on the national framework of qualifications QQI Level 5 is the equivalent as a leaving cert, but yet the Hse/Ucd seem to have made their own conclusion that you need a level 7.

It's a bit of a sham in the sense that you can apply for medicine or practically any other course as a mature student with no previous qualifications and still be considered, yet the Hse/Ucd will turn you down immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

5500 wrote: »

Cheers 5500!

It's crazy really.

Students with 6 passes with little or no experience applying or a mature student doing a one year PLC course specializing in emergency care and voluntary work... doesn't add up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 anthony gggg

Hi, I'm just wondering if any one knows if there is an Infection, Prevention and Control module taking place soon. I need it to finish my course and need this module by April. I would prefer to have it mid week and over a few days. Cheers.

The course I'm doing is QQI level 5 in Health Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheGunRunner

Anthony to study Emergency Care Personnel in LCFE I had to organise with my local hospital to sit in on an infection control course with the HSE

Advertisement