Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double Gameweek Planning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Given the possibility of rotation if this happens, TCing a defender or keeper might give you a better chance of getting three games. Madness, i know, but...

Robles triple captain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

wardides wrote: »
    Assuming that won't be announced anytime soon? Who are they most likely to face in the triple week do you think?

Apologies for the questions, this thread is essentially like Inception for me.

First batch of DGWs are supposed to be announced by March 10, any news of a TGW wouldn't be until the FA Cup semifinals are finalised and the we've already seen Arsenal v Hull be played on a European night. I'm saving it for a DGW but Aguero against Villa is a fine TC shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Deise Vu wrote: »
    2 2 2 for a triple captain is 18.;)

I'd be damn glad of those 18 points! even 12 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Given the possibility of rotation if this happens, TCing a defender or keeper might give you a better chance of getting three games. Madness, i know, but...

Ideal scenario everton make the semis but lose giving us a tgw. Everton don't have an fa cup final to rest up for and lukaku is in the hunt for the golden boot so wants to play every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

A single gw may be the time to use it. It ends up costing you one player. If you captain aguero for the villa game and the double newcastle and chelsea. Player 1 triple captains against villa he gets aguero 3 times + 4times for the double. Player 2 triple captains for the double he gets aguero 6 times + 2 for the villa game. It costs you one aguero score in the long run but you are getting a triple on his most favourable fixture.

I'm not sure I follow? Your saying useing it in a single game week rather then triple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2 2 2 for a triple captain is 18.;)

What about when big Rom scores two O.G's in the first two games and gets sent off after ten mins in the third?

:D

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow? Your saying useing it in a single game week rather then triple?

No if there is a triple it would have to be used then. However a triple has only happened once I believe. What I was saying was that by playing your triple capt in a dgw you only get 1 more captain than playing it in a single gw.
    Play it in dgw 2 x3 + 2 x 1 = 8
    Play it in sgw 1x3 + 2 x 2 =7
    If the sgw fixture is better than the dgw fixtures it could make more sense to play it in a sgw. I won't be doing it but the triple captain chip makes little or no difference when you play it and as we are beginning to realise the bench boost won't either as most wont play 15dgw players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No if there is a triple it would have to be used then. However a triple has only happened once I believe. What I was saying was that by playing your triple capt in a dgw you only get 1 more captain than playing it in a single gw.
    If the sgw fixture is better than the dgw fixtures it could make more sense to play it in a sgw. I won't be doing it but the triple captain chip makes little or no difference when you play it and as we are beginning to realise the bench boost won't either as most wont play 15dgw players.

A worked example might help show the lack of difference:

Assuming you keep captaincy on Aguero and he scored 6 points against Villa and 5 points against New & 4 points against Chelsea in the DGW.

TC'ing in:
    SGW: 18 (3*6points) + 20 (2*5 points in both games) = 38 points
    DGW: 12 (2*6points) + 27 (3*5 vs New + 3*4points vs Che) = 39 points

So basically, if you think he will score 1.5 times as much in the Double (9 points in the above example) vs the Single (6 points vs Villa) then you captain him in the DGW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »

Assuming you keep captaincy on Aguero and he scored 6 points against Villa and 5 points against New & 4 points against Chelsea in the DGW.

TC'ing in:

So basically, if you think he will score 1.5 times as much in the Double (9 points in the above example) vs the Single (6 points vs Villa) then you captain him in the DGW.

these double gameweeks could be around the time of city's champ league quarter final ?
    I dunno anymore I was very very tempted to TC him for the Newcastle game
    and if he looks good tomorrow night ........the threat of a rest Saturday is a real one though. doubt he will play the full 90

km79 wrote: »
    these double gameweeks could be around the time of city's champ league quarter final ?
    I dunno anymore I was very very tempted to TC him for the Newcastle game
    and if he looks good tomorrow night ........the threat of a rest Saturday is a real one though. doubt he will play the full 90

I'll probably be opting for a differential TC, time to get my gamble on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lost me.

Looking at it as in players played using Aguero for example.

Dgw. TC you get Aguero x 2 games x3 for the TC = Aguero x 6.

SGW. TC you get Aguero x 1 game x3 for the TC = Aguero x 3

EDIT. Get you now actually. Still though given (barring bookings ogs) that you start on 4x3 in the dgw rather than 2x3 you're slightly ahead and given Aguero is pretty fixture proof and could score against anyone it's hard to see oast the dgw for 180mins vs 90.

Good points though.

TC'ing in:

I like it parlance good way of thinking about it. In the sgw its 18 + 18 so 36 a 3 pt difference.

FHFC wrote: »
    Lost me.

Looking at it as in players played using Aguero for example.

Dgw. TC you get Aguero x 2 games x3 for the TC = Aguero x 6.

SGW. TC you get Aguero x 1 game x3 for the TC = Aguero x 3

EDIT. Get you now actually. Still though given (barring bookings ogs) that you start on 4x3 in the dgw rather than 2x3 you're slightly ahead and given Aguero is pretty fixture proof and could score against anyone it's hard to see oast the dgw for 180mins vs 90.

Good points though.
    You have to factor in both the sgw and dgw option when working out your calculation though. People playing it in the dgw will compare it to people that didnt but forget that they gained an advantage(not as big) at another stage.
    Im assuming your talking about the 2pt appearance pts which is another good way of looking at it actually.
    Play it dgw 2x2x3(dgw) + 2x2(sgw)= 16pts
    Play it sgw 2x2x2(dgw) +2x3(sgw) = 14pts
    DGW is better but depending on fixtures there may not be too much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Assuming you keep captaincy on Aguero

This is where lies the potentially big downfall of your reasoning lads!

If I remember correctly, DGW34 could see Arsenal with Palace & WB at home and United with Villa & Palace at home. City away to a Newcastle fighting for its survival and home to an improving Chelsea that could well be in a position to fight for a top4 position by then won't be necessarily games where you'd fancy City and Agüero to shine. Especially if they're still alive in CL!
    I'm not saying they won't care about PL silverware but they won it twice lately, won both the FA & League Cup (twice the latter) with Pellegrini getting once each trophy. But they fared well below par in CL. They're "already" through to the 1/4f and if they don't get Barça, Atlético and/or Bayern, they'll be confident enough in hoping to make the semis. So more focus and energy for this comp' and inevitably a bit less for the domestic league. We may be looking in the wrong direction here with Aguero.

On the other hand, Palace & WB could be close to safety and with nothing to play for and Villa could almost be "condemned" while both Arsenal & United should still be pushing hard for the PL title and a top4 spot respectively! Arsenal are "already" out of European duty. MU, if they continue playing their second string squad, won't be affected by it too.

iroced wrote: »
    This is where lies the potentially big downfall of your reasoning lads!

If I remember correctly, DGW34 could see Arsenal with Palace & WB at home and United with Villa & Palace at home. City away to a Newcastle fighting for its survival and home to an improving Chelsea that could well be in a position to fight for a top4 position by then won't be necessarily games where you'd fancy City and Agüero to shine. Especially if they're still alive in CL!
    I'm not saying they won't care about PL silverware but they won it twice lately, won both the FA & League Cup (twice the latter) with Pellegrini getting once each trophy. But they fared well below par in CL. They're "already" through to the 1/4f and if they don't get Barça, Atlético and/or Bayern, they'll be confident enough in hoping to make the semis. So more focus and energy for this comp' and inevitably a bit less for the domestic league. We may be looking in the wrong direction here with Aguero.

On the other hand, Palace & WB could be close to safety and with nothing to play for and Villa could almost be "condemned" while both Arsenal & United should still be pushing hard the PL title and a top4 spot respectively! Arsenal are "already" out of European duty. MU, if they continue playing their second string squad, won't be affected by it too.

It doesn't really matter who we picked as our example to captain. The argument I'm trying to make is that by playing the TC in a dgw over a sgw is that you get the equivalant of 1 more 90 min from a player or a guaranteed 2 pt appearance pts. It's highly unlikely I'll be going aguero TC in the Dgw due to his fixtures and the possibility of having to use bench boost in gw 34.
    Another example aguero home to villa is on paper the best sgw fixture left all season. Let's say the best double is ozil wba and palace.
    You can have agueros score against villa 3 times and ozils score against wba and palace doubled or aguero's score against villa doubled and ozils score against wba and palace trebled. For arguments sake if you think aguero gets 13 against villa and you expect ozil to get 16 from that double.
    Option 1 13x3+16x2= 71
    Option 2 13x2+16x3=74
    There isn't much in it and the TC in a dgw isn't the huge advantage people think it is. Of course we don't know what scores players will get so it could go one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Jeez, you need a degree reading some of that :):)

Highly tempted to but TC on Augero v Villa.

Itching to use it. Other options are Barkley and Lukaku but hoping Kun would score more as Villa are as useful as a fart in space.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Jeez, you need a degree reading some of that :):)

Highly tempted to but TC on Augero v Villa.

Itching to use it. Other options are Barkley and Lukaku but hoping Kun would score more as Villa are as useful as a fart in space.

I tend to overcomplicate things. If I knew aguero would play 90 mins against villa I'd be very tempted to TC this week. I'd imagine there won't be a game for the rest of the season where you would get shorter odds on a player scoring a hat trick than aguero this sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Be a brave man to put it on Barkley or Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Be a brave man to put it on Barkley or Lukaku

If anyone is going to be scoring big for Everton its likely to be them. But agree given that one of their DW is Liverpool away(where the have an awful record) its a massive risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It doesn't really matter who we picked as our example to captain. The argument I'm trying to make is that by playing the TC in a dgw over a sgw is that you get the equivalant of 1 more 90 min from a player or a guaranteed 2 pt appearance pts. It's highly unlikely I'll be going aguero TC in the Dgw due to his fixtures and the possibility of having to use bench boost in gw 34.
    Another example aguero home to villa is on paper the best sgw fixture left all season. Let's say the best double is ozil wba and palace.
    You can have agueros score against villa 3 times and ozils score against wba and palace doubled or aguero's score against villa doubled and ozils score against wba and palace trebled. For arguments sake if you think aguero gets 13 against villa and you expect ozil to get 16 from that double.
    Option 1 13x3+16x2= 71
    Option 2 13x2+16x3=74
    There isn't much in it and the TC in a dgw isn't the huge advantage people think it is. Of course we don't know what scores players will get so it could go one way or the other.

It's all about opportunity thou, your player is getting a potential 180 mins to score points (baps too, your limiting yourself to max 3 baps in sgw vs 6 for dgw) Vs 90 mins for a sgw. however you word it, they're simply given more time to gain points, which in my opinion is more valuable than choosing a sgw vs poor opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

A certain Spacecraft Experience has a DGW doesn't he if we're talking about TC? :)

*runs, and runs fast*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A certain Spacecraft Experience has a DGW doesn't he if we're talking about TC? :)

*runs, and runs fast*

There's punts, and then there's punts by Punty McPunt, who punts boats in Puntsville, Puntsylvania.

This is one of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It's all about opportunity thou, your player is getting a potential 180 mins to score points (baps too, your limiting yourself to max 3 baps in sgw vs 6 for dgw) Vs 90 mins for a sgw. however you word it, they're simply given more time to gain points, which in my opinion is more valuable than choosing a sgw vs poor opposition.

This is the crucial thing. I like the mathematics of the SGW propostion but it only holds if, to stick with the example, Aguero, actually does better in that one game than in each of the doubles. This year Aguero has featured in 19 matches and in 10 of them he has scored 2 points or less. That's a better than 50/50 chance that your TC will return 3 or 6, whereas you are practically guaranteed that the worst you can do on a DGW is 12 and it is massive odds-on that he will deliver a goal, an assist or a bonus point over two games.

Incidentally, Aguero has scored 9 of his 14 goals in 3 matches and he got 1 of his 2 assists in one of those games. He has 5 goals and 1 assist in the other 16 matches and only received bonus points in one of those games. He is probably the single greatest reason why us old hands are having a nightmare season.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

This is the crucial thing. I like the mathematics of the SGW propostion but it only holds if, to stick with the example, Aguero, actually does better in that one game than in each of the doubles. This year Aguero has featured in 19 matches and in 10 of them he has scored 2 points or less. That's a better than 50/50 chance that your TC will return 3 or 6, whereas you are practically guaranteed that the worst you can do on a DGW is 12 and it is massive odds-on that he will deliver a goal, an assist or a bonus point over two games.

Incidentally, Aguero has scored 9 of his 14 goals in 3 matches and he got 1 of his 2 assists in one of those games. He has 5 goals and 1 assist in the other 16 matches and only received bonus points in one of those games. He is probably the single greatest reason why us old hands are having a nightmare season.

I definitely take on board all of this. I just can't get away from how bad Aston Villa have been. Am I right in assuming the only DWG city can have will be either Newcastle & Chelsea in GW 34, or Arsenal & newcastle in the 2nd last GW. Of those potential 3 match ups, 2 are away, with the Arsenal game being the only home game. 10 of Agueros 14 league goals this year have come at home. Villa conceded 11 in last 3 games.

I'm going to be debating this decision for the rest of the week. Obviously the extra minutes in a double game week are attractive, but could they be dead minutes so to speak? Maybe I'm being close minded by just focusing on placing it all on Aguero as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

There's punts, and then there's punts by Punty McPunt, who punts boats in Puntsville, Puntsylvania.

This is one of the latter.

Stop!!

It's an irresistibly ridiculous notion that I wish I never put into words. Its like PVA on crack :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Stop!!

It's an irresistibly ridiculous notion that I wish I never put into words. Its like PVA on crack :D

He likes a DGW as well ;)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/31617025
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/31670542

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but regarding the possibility of TC Aguero vs Villa this weekend - City play Liverpool tonight and Villa on Saturday. However, it is then a full week before their next game vs Norwich before the Dynamo Kiev match.

So the chances of him being rested/subbed early in the Norwich game are quite high.

BUT I see no real reason to rest/sub early for the Aston Villa match barring either an injury or a massive half time lead.

Based on this I feel I will pull the trigger and Triple up!
    He who dares - might move up slightly from OR 1m :P

OK I crunched a few figures on this. All things being equal not allowing for favourable fixtures and assuming in the three games in question (the single gw and the 2 games of the dgw)the captained player gets the same number of points. Over the course of the 2 gws choosing to triple captain in a dgw will give you 14% more points than someone who captains in a sgw. As this difference isn't that big I've been thinking that it make sense to triple captain in a sgw. However when looking at the figures to make it worth your while as in a net gain your sgw captain e.g aguero against villa needs to outscore aguero in games against Chelsea and Newcastle combined for it to be worthwhile. To summarise the boost from a dgw captain isn't that much but it doesn't really make sense to use it in a sgw. When I get to a laptop I'll put some figures in to explain this better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I definitely take on board all of this. I just can't get away from how bad Aston Villa have been. Am I right in assuming the only DWG city can have will be either Newcastle & Chelsea in GW 34, or Arsenal & newcastle in the 2nd last GW. Of those potential 3 match ups, 2 are away, with the Arsenal game being the only home game. 10 of Agueros 14 league goals this year have come at home. Villa conceded 11 in last 3 games.

I'm going to be debating this decision for the rest of the week. Obviously the extra minutes in a double game week are attractive, but could they be dead minutes so to speak? Maybe I'm being close minded by just focusing on placing it all on Aguero as well?

Another one to throw into the mix is that in a DGW there is an increased likelihood of bench time, even for Aguero, so you might only be getting one game anyway. With Cl football still to play, imagine if City decided Villa were easy meat and Bony would do, only to bring on Kun with 10 minutes left?

OK, it's time to stop thinking and start employing some monkeys to throw darts at a list of options.

Another one to throw into the mix is that in a DGW there is an increased likelihood of bench time, even for Aguero, so you might only be getting one game anyway. With Cl football still to play, imagine if City decided Villa were easy meat and Bony would do, only to bring on Kun with 10 minutes left?

OK, it's time to stop thinking and start employing some monkeys to throw darts at a list of options.

As someone posted above though, they have a full week before their next match at Norwich. I think they would be mad not to want to try and put as many past Villa as possible, considering how tight things are at the top. If they win tonight, and Spurs don't then there's probably a good chance they go above Spurs if they stuff a few past Villa & Spurs lose to Arsenal.

I have absolutely no idea. A bit of me hopes Aguero gets injured tonight so the decision is taken out of my hands.

I'll then triple captain Bony on saturday.

Dear god, help me.

• Advertisement

Option 1 13x3+16x2= 71
    Option 2 13x2+16x3=74
    OK I crunched a few figures on this. All things being equal not allowing for favourable fixtures and assuming in the three games in question (the single gw and the 2 games of the dgw)the captained player gets the same number of points. Over the course of the 2 gws choosing to triple captain in a dgw will give you 14% more points than someone who captains in a sgw. As this difference isn't that big I've been thinking that it make sense to triple captain in a sgw. However when looking at the figures to make it worth your while as in a net gain your sgw captain e.g aguero against villa needs to outscore aguero in games against Chelsea and Newcastle combined for it to be worthwhile. To summarise the boost from a dgw captain isn't that much but it doesn't really make sense to use it in a sgw. When I get to a laptop I'll put some figures in to explain this better.
    I tend to overcomplicate things.

Nope but you tend to use your highly analytical mind to suit your (always interesting) points :p. Which is, nevertheless, always a good read.

What I highlighted in bold either makes no sense in reality or is a single example that suits perfectly your reasoning. I understand why you did it and you did mention that it theoretically makes more sense to use the boosts in a DGW. But if I follow your example from your first post and I apply it to the 2 most explosive players in the game (Aguero & Sanchez) considering their best real returns of this season (it was ironically at the same time, GW7 & 8).

Agüero single GW home to Newcastle : 25 pts
    Sanchez away to Leicester & home to Man U : 20 + 16 pts.

So. Aguero TC + Sanchez DGW (C) => 75 + 72 = 147 pts
    .... Aguero C + Sanchez DGW TC => 50 + 108 = 158 pts

Granted 11 pts isn't that huge. But in my position (104k) it'll move me 30k up to 75k! So it's not nothing.

Now. What could also happen is Agüero home to Watford (2 pts). Using the same numbers than above
    6 + 72 vs 4 + 108 = 78 vs 112. 34 pts diff.

Of course the opposite could be true also. Sanchez double 2 pointers.
    75 + 8 vs 50 + 12 = 83 vs 62. 21 pts diff.

Anyway, my point is that it DOES matter A LOT who your TC will be and what his form, his team form, his fixtures, his opponents form will be and what his team and his opponents will play for when you'll use it.

So, if Arsenal wins tonight, considering they're out of CL, and bar injury, Sanchez could be a fantastic captain for this DGW34. Because they'll be 100% fighting for a long-awaited PL title while both WB & Palace should be 90% safe.
    In fairness, if Sanchez was not that much out of FPL form, I'd change my mind about playing BB during DGW34 because taking into account this context with Sanchez history you could look at a 100+ pts captain !!!

Despite everything I wrote above, these are very interesting numbers!

Again, Arsenal have messed up all our anticipations by going into a replay since we don't know yet if they're gonna get a DGW or not.
    The Lukaku potential TGW could also be appealing, though what will Everton be playing for at this stage? Maybe nothing...

--

Let's have a thorough look at potential TC GW by GW.

GW29: Agüero home to Villa
    GW30: none
    GW31: none
    GW32: Ozil or Sanchez home to Watford
    GW33: Agüero home to WB?
    DGW34: Man U attacker home to Villa & potentially home to Palace too
    ............ Ozil or Sanchez home to Palace & potentially home to WB too
    ............ Payet away to Leicester & potentially home to Watford
    GW35: Agüero home to Stoke?
    GW36: Ozil or Sanchez home to Norwich
    D(T)GW37: Lukaku away to Leicester & potentially away to Palace & away to either 'Pool or Sunderland (all away games though whatever the combination)
    ............ Payet home to Swansea & home to United
    (D)GW38: Could be a double for Everton if necessary and they don't make a TGW37. In that case Lukaku home to Norwich & potentially away to either 'Pool or Sunderland
    ............ Ozil or Sanchez home to Villa
    ............ Man U attacker home to Bournemouth

Conclusion

If you/we BB for DGW34, it's true that Agüero TC home to Villa is appealing a LOT. And it DOES MATTER A LOT that it's him, it's this particular fixture, at this time of the season (City battling for PL title, 1 week free before Norwich away, no close CL commitment ; just these 2 and half days after 'Pool away tonight).

Because outside this option, we'll have to either rely on a Lukaku TGW (all away games though), a Payet rebirth for DGW37 or a GW38 (C) which could be a lottery depending on what teams still have or have not to play for!

Ah jesus, when I read the that last post, I'm no interested in getting involved with maybe a United striker for that potential double gameweek with Villa & Palace. Similar with Arsenal.

Dear god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Imagine after all this time waiting for DGWs we decide its best to TC during a regular week! Good arguments put forward there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My head is really, really sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Good analysis, iroced! A lot of food for thought

And thanks to everybody else sharing their hard work too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

No argument will persuade me to TC on a single gameweek I don't think. Double the time to rack up a score no matter what way you swing it.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    No argument will persuade me to TC on a single gameweek I don't think. Double the time to rack up a score no matter what way you swing it.
    Yes I went for Aguero in a single last year when Kane has a double
    Didn't end well
    Same principle I guess

I AM GOING TO BE SUCH A SMUG BASTARD IN HERE ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

*Or a drunken mess crying as I've blown any chance of winning my money leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeh I can't imagine doing it. Even in a tough fixture Aguero is going to have a points expectancy of >4 and there aren't many single games where its going to be 8+ and even if it all does go a bit wrong those extra points will almost seem like an assist!

One other point that's holding me back is that the majority of people will captain Aguero this weekend anyway so you will only gain one set of points if ya get me !
    By the time the DGW comes around the triple captain chips may have been played by a few and the gains more

• Advertisement

There is a lot of ground to be made up with the BB and TC. My main rival for 2nd place in our pay league has played both. He TC'd Wijnaldum in GW17, 3 * 2 points and his bench boost was poor enough.

He's 40 points ahead and I'm hoping the 2 chips, a bit of luck and his lack of planning for GW30 will help me bridge most of that gap.

All of you who do not wish to use your TC in a single GW, do you still have your BB? And if you don't you're therefore gonna TC in GW37?

On who? Aguero default? But if City gets DGW34 they'll only get a single GW37!!!
    Only United & WH are guaranteed to have a DGW37.

And between all the other potential teams I don't see any obvious candidate considering their potential DGW fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

iroced wrote:
    All of you who do not wish to use your TC in a single GW, do you still have your BB? And if you don't you're therefore gonna TC in GW37?

On who? Aguero default? But if City gets DGW34 they'll only get a single GW37!!! Only United & WH are guaranteed to have a DGW37.

And between all the other potential teams I don't see any obvious candidate considering their potential DGW fixtures.

This is what's been leaning me towards using the TC next week.
    If I don't triple captain Aguero this week I won't triple captain him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

On who? Aguero default? But if City gets DGW34 they'll only get a single GW37!!!

Aguero when he has a dgw and BB for the other DGW. I'm more of a wait and see kinda guy and play it when it feels right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Personally my biggest concern is having a well prepared squad for DGW 34 and WC after. I will TC only in a DGW and not only on Aguero. Last season I was one of the gang on Austin/Phillips as I chased a minor placing in my main money league.
    For me it's all about getting in players with meaningful games and that wont become clear until after GW30 at the earliest.
    I'm still thinking of playing a max of 10 in GW30 with that plan in mind so will probably take a hit this week in the hope of having 2 FTs post GW30.
    Defoe Wickham Martial Sanchez KDB Lukaku Sturridge.....could all be options for me if I'm still around top 1k and with a similar cushion of 80pts in my money league.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

km79 wrote: »
    One other point that's holding me back is that the majority of people will captain Aguero this weekend anyway so you will only gain one set of points if ya get me !
    By the time the DGW comes around the triple captain chips may have been played by a few and the gains more

This has just completely changed my mind again. People will know how bad Villa are - it's no big secret. Therefore Kun will be very highly captained this week.

Currently over 1m teams own him. Id say 90% of those will captain him.

Also KdB isn't in the mix this time so can't see a lot of people captaining Yaya or Silva.

Having a weeks break before Norwich will not see Aguero on the pitch for any longer against Villa, only my opinion though.

Because of the serious amounts of minutes played recently he will be hauled as soon as Villa are dead. The risk of injury is too great and Bony desperately needs minutes now to boost match fitness.

He could easily score 3 in the first half and get hauled at halftime or he could be rested, because of the gap to the Norwich game, and Bony could get gametime for fitness.

Pell knows he can rest Aguero and still win that game 5-0.

Having a weeks break before Norwich will not see Aguero on the pitch for any longer against Villa, only my opinion though.

Because of the serious amounts of minutes played recently he will be hauled as soon as Villa are dead. The risk of injury is too great and Bony desperately needs minutes now to boost match fitness.

He could easily score 3 in the first half and get hauled at halftime or he could be rested, because of the gap to the Norwich game, and Bony could get gametime for fitness.

Pell knows he can rest Aguero and still win that game 5-0.

3rd game in 6 days and extra time
    He won't play 90 mins if it's going well
    I'm holding off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Aguero was lost tonight. Wouldn't dream of using my TC this weekend on him. Saving it for a DGW for sure now

• Advertisement

Nope but you tend to use your highly analytical mind to suit your (always interesting) points :p. Which is, nevertheless, always a good read.

What I highlighted in bold either makes no sense in reality or is a single example that suits perfectly your reasoning. I understand why you did it and you did mention that it theoretically makes more sense to use the boosts in a DGW. But if I follow your example from your first post and I apply it to the 2 most explosive players in the game (Aguero & Sanchez) considering their best real returns of this season (it was ironically at the same time, GW7 & 8).

Agüero single GW home to Newcastle : 25 pts
    Sanchez away to Leicester & home to Man U : 20 + 16 pts.

So. Aguero TC + Sanchez DGW (C) => 75 + 72 = 147 pts
    .... Aguero C + Sanchez DGW TC => 50 + 108 = 158 pts

Granted 11 pts isn't that huge. But in my position (104k) it'll move me 30k up to 75k! So it's not nothing.

Now. What could also happen is Agüero home to Watford (2 pts). Using the same numbers than above
    6 + 72 vs 4 + 108 = 78 vs 112. 34 pts diff.

Of course the opposite could be true also. Sanchez double 2 pointers.
    75 + 8 vs 50 + 12 = 83 vs 62. 21 pts diff.

Anyway, my point is that it DOES matter A LOT who your TC will be and what his form, his team form, his fixtures, his opponents form will be and what his team and his opponents will play for when you'll use it.

So, if Arsenal wins tonight, considering they're out of CL, and bar injury, Sanchez could be a fantastic captain for this DGW34. Because they'll be 100% fighting for a long-awaited PL title while both WB & Palace should be 90% safe.
    In fairness, if Sanchez was not that much out of FPL form, I'd change my mind about playing BB during DGW34 because taking into account this context with Sanchez history you could look at a 100+ pts captain !!!

!
    This is getting as bad as the points hit theory;)
    I think your missing my point somewhat here. The outcome is somewhat irrelevant as thats something we cant control its why I said using aguero as an example isnt important it could be any hypothetical player. All you can do in this game is try to make decisions that give you the best chance of picking up as much points as possible.

My initial point was that the TC in dgw over a sgw isnt likely to be a huge bonanza that people expect.

3 examples
    1 The Player captained in sgw and dgw gets 2 pts in all 3 games.
    Triple captain dgw 2x2x3 + 2x2 =16 pts
    Triple captain sgw 2x2x2 + 2x3 = 14 pts
    Your up 2 pts if a captained player blanks in all 3 games
    2 The highest PPG player that should have a double Ozil 6.5 pts
    Triple captain dgw 6.5 x2x3 + 6.5 x 2= 52 pts
    Triple captain sgw 6.5 x 2 x 2+ 6.5 x 3 =45.5 pts
    your up 6.5 pts
    3 Lets say things go really well 13 pts from all 3 games played so your captain gets 26 pts in the dgw
    In this example using the triple captain in dgw gets you an extra 13 pts overall. You gain 26 pts in the dgw but you lose out on 13 when the sgw player played it.
    Of course any outcome can happen pts wise but its fairest to compare like with like.
    Due to these calculations I felt that maybe playing the triple captain in a sgw could be an option. As you have the added advantage of picking your ideal fixture instead of having to go with what your dealt with in a dgw.
    Thanks to Parlance and Deise Vu they got me thinking of what would need to happen in a sgw to make it worthwhile. You need your captained player in a sgw to match a dgw captains score over 2 games just to break even.
    Due to this its a No brainer to triple captain in a dgw even allowing for the fact that you can pick a better fixture for the sgw.

Those of us with the TC left can expect to make some nice gains over those that have used it. However the net gain isnt likely to be that much.

Next week Ill start up a conversation on the pros and cons of the bench boost:p

Advertisement