Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a lease short of 6 months

Options
  • 21-01-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

I intend to sell my apartment in the summer but in the meantime I want to rent it short-term. Am I correct that if I give either a fixed term tenancy lease or a periodic tenancy lease of 6 months, the tenant can choose to stay on for up to four years? Therefore to ensure the tenant doesn't claim a Part IV tenancy I would have to give a lease for (example) 5 months and 3 weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you let the apartment, you are tempting fate that you will be able to get the tenant out without any hassle before you sell, think of the problems associated with viewings etc.

Would you considering registering with AirBnB? Short lets with more money, also they insure you for any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks for suggestion though, I will look at all options - if guests were short-term I'd have to clean apt, wash & change bedlinen etc after every changeover which wouldn't would work in the circumstances but if they were longterm, it might be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

You can advertise it as short term. Any perspective tenants should be told that the apartment is going up for sale. You can ask them before signing anything if they are ok to allow viewings when you give x amount of notice. And make it very clear there will be no extending. The price should reflect this.
    Even in a part 4 lease, you can end it due to selling.

You should only pick tenants that agree to your terms. We were hoping to buy in the summer but can't find any short term lets available. I'm sure there's plenty of people in the same situation

Advertisement