Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance companies declining cover for cars 'over 15 years old' - classics affected?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Listen thanks for reply,must check them out myself,my present insurer dropped me down to 3rd party fire and theft last year on a 99D and my renewals up in march and haven't heard back from them.Was looking back on milage on NCT certs and for the last five years have only done roughly 10,000 so around 2,000 a year,ive only done about 38,000 miles in 12 years since I bought the car and 86,000 milage now was due to always having the use of company transport getting to work and back,cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

OK, I got the renewal letter today. 1992 Merc 190 2.0L Diesel. I'm 37. Used for commuting to work about 350 miles per week. Stored indoors in the country. Third party fire and theft. I'm with the AA underwritten by Axa.

I had a look back at previous years with the same insurer:
    2012: 424.04
    2013: 438.29
    2014: 407.94
    2015: 401.80

So, a 33% hike this year.

Waiting for a call back now to see if they can bring it down at all.

Edit:
    Boom! AA lady said her system wouldn't give her any alternative quote, so for some magic reason she was able to provide the same cover with the same underwriter for 464 Euro.

It's that time of year again. This year the quote came out in the post as 661.88. I called them up and hey-presto they knocked 100 bucks off. So, now the list looks like this.

All these prices are with AA underwritten by AXA
    2016: Quoted 536.60 reduced to 464
    2017: Quoted 661.88 reduced to 561.88

1992 Merc 190 2.0L Diesel. 40 year old living in the sticks in Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

pryantcc wrote: »
    It's that time of year again. This year the quote came out in the post as 661.88. I called them up and hey-presto they knocked 100 bucks off. So, now the list looks like this.

never mind, i realised my broker was robbing me blind haha

voz es wrote: »

Do you ind me asking what your occupation is?
    I'm driving a 00 five door civic, 1.4 petrol. I have ten years no claims and never got a penalty point in my life, they quoted me 1280 at the brokers. I'm 32
    My quotes are third party, fire and theft cover.
    I'm a telecoms engineer.
    That quote is nasty, is it because it's a Civic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

My quotes are third party, fire and theft cover.
    I'm a telecoms engineer.
    That quote is nasty, is it because it's a Civic?

It was relevant to it, there is a loading on them but nothing like 600

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hugo habicht

My situation is similar. Driving an '83 Mercedes as every day vehicle. Insured with AXA. No claims, points, convictions (and whatever they ask you) ever.

AXA is increasing the renewal quote by 60% every year and then seem to settle at 10% increase which I consider too much at this stage.

I phoned ALL insurance companies. Not one quote. So AXA is operating a de facto cartell than enables them to increase the premiums as they like and they use it.

I really hope the EU commision finally steps in (see: https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/commission-confirms-unannounced-inspections-in-the-motor-insurance-market-in-ireland_en). Irish politicians don't seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭O.A.P

It really is an unjust shambles of a motor insurance system here in Ireland but my post wont change it .
    As a nation we almost completely depend on the car as a mode of transport because most of us have no other option , so insurance firms milk every last drop possible from us because they can .
    The government want us driving newish diesel cars or else tax the **** out of an older or petrol car.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hugo habicht

No, your post won't change anything.   But a lot of things can be done:

What everybody affected by this insurance cartel should do:

1. Send a written complaint to your insurer.  
         - tell them you are being treated unfairly
         - tell them that the increase is unjustified and cannot be based on risk assessment
         - tell them since all other insurance companies do not quote they are operating a cartel
           (keep recording of phone calls to insurance companies for quotes, advise them of the recordings and ask for refusal letters)
         - tell them that they are in breach of European Union law, particularly (but not limited to) TFEU101

2. When you get a response that you are not happy with (most likely) then escalate your complaint to the insurance ombudsman.   They have to respond within 40 working days otherwise you can submit a complaint to the ombudsman after 40 working days.

3. Notify the European Commision of anti competitive practices of the Irish insurance industry.

4. get onto your local TD that he/she has to get off his/her backside and this situation has to be addressed and corrected.

5. encourage everybody that is in the same situation to do the same thing.

Waste as much time as possible of the insurance companies (point 2. and 4.) so that they may reconsider the nonsense they are doing at the moment.

Don't just accept the situation as it is.    Remember the water protests: people have power and can change things even against an unjust system when they stand and act united.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

No, your post won't change anything.   But a lot of things can be done:

What everybody affected by this insurance cartel should do:

1. Send a written complaint to your insurer.  
         - tell them you are being treated unfairly
         - tell them that the increase is unjustified and cannot be based on risk assessment
         - tell them since all other insurance companies do not quote they are operating a cartel
           (keep recording of phone calls to insurance companies for quotes, advise them of the recordings and ask for refusal letters)
         - tell them that they are in breach of European Union law, particularly (but not limited to) TFEU101

2. When you get a response that you are not happy with (most likely) then escalate your complaint to the insurance ombudsman.   They have to respond within 40 working days otherwise you can submit a complaint to the ombudsman after 40 working days.

3. Notify the European Commision of anti competitive practices of the Irish insurance industry.

4. get onto your local TD that he/she has to get off his/her backside and this situation has to be addressed and corrected.

5. encourage everybody that is in the same situation to do the same thing.

Waste as much time as possible of the insurance companies (point 2. and 4.) so that they may reconsider the nonsense they are doing at the moment.

Don't just accept the situation as it is.    Remember the water protests: people have power and can change things even against an unjust system when they stand and act united.

Fair play, everything you've wrote is on the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement