Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

90s Movies

• 21-01-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

So stayed up the other night and watched 3 movies which were all from the 90s. Have decided to keep the trend with an ongoing 90s movie marathon for a while and just wanted to see what people would class as their go to 90s movies. Considering the three i watched were Wolf, Demolition Man and Beverly Hills Cop 3, anything goes not just the top rated Shawshank Pulp fiction types!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Point Break, Cliffhanger & The Big Hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Volcano

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Total recall and true lies. Actually just watch every Arnie movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

A lot of Harrison Ford's output in the 90s was cheesy; one good man against the system with a trophy wife and perfect offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

MfMan wrote: »
    A lot of Harrison Ford's output in the 90s was cheesy; one good man against the system with a trophy wife and perfect offspring.
    Like most of Fords movies and the Fugitive from that era was a damn fine one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

A golden age of cinema. The huge big budget block busters only started to come in the second half of the decade & there were very few actors commanding more than $10m a movie. Here's IMDB's list by box office revenue: Knock yourself out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I really enjoyed Lethal Weapon 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

12 monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Face/Off
    The Rock
    Con Air
    Broken Arrow
    US Marshalls
    Under Siege
    T2

golden age is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Blown Away...An instant classic of irishness:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Man, the 90's were great for big ass budget blockbusters that flaunted their ability for swearing and violence like no other decade.

Die Hard 3 and Speed are great ones.

Also, Last Action Hero is a great parody of all these films too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Man, the 90's were great for big ass budget blockbusters that flaunted their ability for swearing and violence like no other decade.

Also, Last Action Hero is a great parody of all these films too.

I love Last Action Hero. I really need to watch that again, it's such a good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Total recall and true lies. Actually just watch every Arnie movie.

True Lies is very underrated and one of my favourites.

The late 80s and 90s were really a golden age for the summer blockbuster.

Some of my favourites

Daylight
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    Independence Day
    Armageddon
    Starship Troopers
    Enemy of the State
    The 13th Floor
    Air Force One
    The Hunt for Red October - which was on last night on SyFy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Grosse Pointe Blank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Grosse Pointe Blank. Though it does have an 80s theme, it does so in a 90s style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Big Lebowski
    Chungking Express
    Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
    La Haine
    Hard Boiled
    Jackie Brown
    Office Space
    Rushmore
    Sonatine

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

The Truman Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I love Last Action Hero. I really need to watch that again, it's such a good film.

That and My Cousin Vinny are two films I can actually watch countless times and never get sick of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Stargate, Independence Day and Armageddon for some cheesy 90s action.

Jurassic Park would probably be my favourite 90s film, was only very young at the time (it was my first PG film!) and it left a lasting impression that none of the others could ever hope to approach.

Only problem with watching 90s films though is how old they make you feel! (assuming you were around for them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Stargate, Independence Day and Armageddon for some cheesy 90s action.

Jurassic Park would probably be my favourite 90s film, was only very young at the time (it was my first PG film!) and it left a lasting impression that none of the others could ever hope to approach.

Only problem with watching 90s films though is how old they make you feel! (assuming you were around for them)

• Advertisement

Ya studios weren't afraid to release a film with a higher age rating. Nowadays its pretty much 12a toned down muck with the super "extended cut" for DVD. Better times for the action fan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seemed to be a decade for films leveraging off history. Dances with Wolves, Schindler's List , Saving Private Ryan, Titanic, Braveheart, Michael Collins and the Patriot (2000).

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Trainspotting.

First time I heard the title I thought who is going to watch a film about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Miller's crossing '90
    Edward scissorhands '91
    Unforgiven '92
    Groundhog day '93
    Leon '94
    Se7en '95
    Trainspotting '96
    Event Horizon '97
    American History X '98
    Lake placid '99

Some great films that may not show up in box office figures and lake placid for a laugh !!

Blockbusters now > > > > Blockbusters in the 90s.

Independent/International cinema were where the 90s reigned supreme.

Tremors, Species, From Dusk Till Dawn, Under Siege, Executive Decision, Universal Soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm gonna say Predator because it's awesome. And I know its from 87, but like I said, it's awesome.
    Gonna have me some fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just watched The Fugitive this morning. Fantastic film that has aged very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Bad boys!

Life is also great :) Martin Lawrence was good in the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Theres so many and lots of good ones mentioned already.

I loved "Interview with the Vampire" and as someone else said, "Dusk til Dawn". Some really good vampire movies.

Bullet (1996) - the one with Mickey Rourke is another favourite of mine.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas too (1998)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Unforgiven was a great movie,Gene Hackman,Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood.

Brilliant movie,well worth watching.

e_e wrote: »

Completely disagree.

What would you consider a recent blockbuster?

Yes Star Wars 7 was better than Star Wars 1, but thats kind of the exception to the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

e_e wrote: »

Independent/International cinema were where the 90s reigned supreme.

Slacker (1991) sums up a certain sort of 90s-ness too.

'Sorry I'm late'
    'Aw that's ok, time doesn't exist'

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Space Jam!

• Advertisement

True Romance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

LA Confidential. Saw it again recently, very well made, pacy film with plenty of memorable scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The 2 movies of the 1990s for me are the Shawshank Redemption and the Unforgiven just for the amount of times I've watched them and just never tire of seeming them again.

syklops wrote: »
    Completely disagree.

What would you consider a recent blockbuster?
    Mad Max Fury Road was for me the best blockbuster sequel since T2, and we've had Chris Nolan do some really original and ambitious work on a large canvas of late. Not to mention great Pixar work like WALL-E, Inside Out, Toy Story 3, Ratatouille and Up. These aren't just merely solid films like the safe shots Marvel consistently take but are legitimately great ones imo. Plus for all the doom and gloom about the state and direction of cinema we still live in an age where what is ostensibly a 3 hour tone poem by an arthouse director (The Revenant) can gross over 100 million domestically.

Even looking at the highest grossing movies from 1995 to 1999 (barring maybe The Matrix) I'd easily take the last 5 or 6 years over it. There's some rubbish for sure but I think there's an even greater variety in quality where a film like Fury Road could have a really big budget, R rating and grand authorial vision while still being hugely critically acclaimed and financially successful. We're also in a much better place in terms of mainstream cinema than the 2000s too, digital has revitalized so much. People were likely all rose-tinted glasses about the early days of Hollywood during the 60s and 70s too, it's kind of inevitable and nostalgia plays a huge part.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Clueless yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Duggy747 wrote: »

Speed is a terrible film IMO and if you watch it now, it really hasn't aged well.

Speed is a terrible film IMO and if you watch it now, it really hasn't aged well.

Whats wrong with Speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

LA Confidential undoubtedly for me the film of the decade. Shawshank just gets more schmaltzy the more you watch it and Unforgiven starts out as a 'new wave' western before ultimately reverting to Eastwood-type where he kills everyone without incurring a scratch himself.

I think its one of the best action movies that has been made. Especially when you look at the drivel that Hollywood has pumped out in the last 15 years in regards action movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lameusername

5th element for me. On Bluray soon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Terminator 2
    Jurassic Park
    The Matrix

What a perfect film night

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fargo
    The Usual Suspects
    Chasing Amy
    Singles
    Dead Man

All great movies

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Terminator 2
    Hard Boiled
    The Matrix

What a perfect film night
    Fixed. ;)
    Nah Jurassic Park is good enough.

syklops wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Speed?

The plot, characters, Keanu Reeves etc. Everything is wrong with it.

John Wick is 10x better.

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think its one of the best action movies that has been made. Especially when you look at the drivel that Hollywood has pumped out in the last 15 years in regards action movies.

I agree about the past 15 years but when you compare it to Die Hard, Terminator 2, Aliens, True Lies, Predator, Under Siege etc. it doesn't even come close.

• Advertisement
Advertisement