Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating used toys

Options
  • 21-01-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Does anyone know where used toys can be donated, they are in great condition but no charities seem to take them..athlone or galway area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Barnardos will take toys that are not electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Maybe check with the nearest hospital to you? Crumlin hospital were only too happy to take a playstation and a few other bits from us, she said I wouldn't believe the types of things people "take" from the childrens recreational areas in the hospital :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Also many Doctor's surgeries are delighted to recieve toys/kids books. Again like hospitals they get taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or try the local women's refuge, they've always taken mine

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

crunchie1 wrote: »
    they are in great condition but no charities seem to take them..athlone or galway area
    I'm guessing only places with the facilities to wash stuff with industrial laundries will take the washable toys, to ensure compliance with their health and safety?

A dog shelter I volunteer at wash all toys/blankets/etc that get donated, to ensure that the dogs don't have a bad reaction to anything that may be on them, and/or the detergents used, especially when you consider that there's a good chance that they may be eaten by the dogs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Some primary school might be glad of them for the infant Aistear programme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

How about to the hse early intervention teams? They could use them during speech or occupational therapy sessions. Maybe a local community Creche either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

As someone who has worked with donations I can tell you that I will never, ever try to donate toys to a charity as the laws on use and sale of secondhand toys are extremely strict and a lot of the time if a charity accepts the toys the person who accepts them had no authority to do so and they end up having to be sent to landfill by the organisation who will be charged commercial rates to do so. There is really only one surefire way to turn your old toys into a charitable donation and that is to sell them on adverts/donedeal/ebay etc and then donate the cash you raise. It's more of a hassle but it guarantees that the toys go to someone who will use them rather than landfill and genuinely helps the charity rather than cost them time and money to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I put any toys my kids are finished with up on Adverts for free, they are usually snapped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely adverts, everything gets taken. I had a load of alerts saved for things I needed. My sister got her cot bed for free, beautiful cot too. She just had to replace the mattress

• Advertisement
Advertisement