Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper acknowledgement

Options
  • 21-01-2016 7:20pm

My father passed away last September. Is there any guidance available on writing a newspaper acknowledgement? Also I'm wondering is there a custom on how long you should wait before putting one in the local rag?

Would be grateful for any direction on this please. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Normally if you contact your local paper they will have some one who will advise you on the wording etc they often have temples that you can go by. In my area Westish Cork your normally see the acknowledgement on the first anniversary of the person who passed away, although you might also see it on the deceased birthday.

I noticed in the last few years that often it is sooner particularly if the family of the deceased live abroad. They put it in before they return home. Many people do not put in an acknowledgment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Normally if you contact your local paper they will have some one who will advise you on the wording etc they often have temples that you can go by. In my area Westish Cork your normally see the acknowledgement on the first anniversary of the person who passed away, although you might also see it on the deceased birthday.

I noticed in the last few years that often it is sooner particularly if the family of the deceased live abroad. They put it in before they return home. Many people do not put in an acknowledgment at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

First of all, my condolences on your loss.

As the previous poster has said, some people place an acknowledgement notice, on the anniversary, with details of an anniversary mass, if applicable.
    Some do so, on the month's mind, so there is no real hard and fast rule.

In relation to wording, I would suggest writing down first, just your own list, of who you want to mention, especially anyone you want to mention by name, then you could choose a notice from your local paper, and follow that format.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

With regards to sooner rather than later, I believe some papers charge less if it is within a certain (fairly short) amount of time. This was the case with my father's acknowledgement.

Advertisement