Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target crown with silencer query

Options
  • 21-01-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about the need/benefit of a target crown when using a silencer. On my .17hmr rifle I've a 11° target crown and when it's used with no silencer fitted i get the perfect star pattern on the crown but after I've used the rifle with a silencer fitted its just dirty, no star pattern.
    I understand the purpose of the target crown is to do with the exit of the gases as the round leaves the chamber but does it still apply when the round is exiting the barrel into a silencers internals?
    Contemplating a new .17 and wondering if I really needed the target crown in the first place as I rarely use the rifle without the silencer fitted and deciding whether I'd get it done again.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A suppressor allows the gases to expand but not escape as they would without a suppressor on. So you'll get a completely different pattern or lack of one with the mod on as opposed to off.

I get it with my .223 also. With the mod on i get fouling around the muzzle of the rifle and even a little down the barrel (it's an over the barrel mod). Without the suppressor i get a perfect star pattern.

The crown will work as well with the mod on or off. If it's accuracy you're interested in then harmonics would be a bigger issue than the crown.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

You cant see the "star" as the mod is screwed up to the barrel and as far as I know the "star" is made by the number of grooves in your barrel - 5 groove = 5 point star. As Cass says above, the barrel harmonics should have more impact on the accuracy especially with a rimfire, even more evident with a sporter barrel and less so with a centerfire and bull barrel, presuming the crown isn't damaged.
    The star does looks cool though :-)

Advertisement