Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying off Debt

• 21-01-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

I've got about €15k worth of debt between credit cards and bank overdraft.

Recently I was able to cash in a company pension so have cash taken as a tax free lump sum, some money in an ARF and some in an AMRF.

My question is that assuming I want to pay off all the debt which pot do I pay it off from. I realise that credit card interest is expensive also that taking from the ARF or AMRF will be subject to tax, and possibly USC etc.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can draw up to 4% of the value of an AMRF and/or any portion (potentially 100%) of the ARF in each calendar year but such withdrawals will be subject to PAYE and USC.

If you can afford to, I'd advise you to immediately pay off the credit card balance and do so from your cash reserves. Over the next few years the rates of USC will in all probability come down and if conditions are right, they may also increase the standard rate (20%) band of PAYE so delaying taking money out of the ARF and AMRF would be advisable until you really need the cash. You should try to negotiate the conversion of the bank overdraft into a term loan with monthly repayments you can afford but get rid of the credit card debt as a matter of financial urgency.

Advertisement