Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limping dog suppliments.

• 21-01-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

A good few weeks ago my boy started limping after playing. Vet was pretty sure it was soft tissue and tendon damage so strict rest and anti inflams were given and we were told healing could be a long process. Now for the most part he's doing great and only seems to limp occassionally if he's over done it or lay on it funny.

After a busy morning play fighting with his sister yesterday he seems to be limping again and holding his leg up which he did occasionally. The vet said its nothing serious but setbacks are par for the course and he is generally ok and showing no obvious signs of pain except for limping.

So my question is I've today ordered luposan and salmon oil in the hope it'll help his recovery and thinking it can do no harm but can anyone recommend anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

http://www.holistichound.ie/#!gels/cfpf

its the one called golden paste..

she's doing 15% off until the end of January if you use the code "love15"

my guy is on the Luposan pellets, salmon oil and now the tumeric paste..

since starting him on the paste i do notice a spring in his step :D

all 3 together are working great for him.

I ordered 3 of the tumeric paste, one is in my fridge and i popped the other 2 in the freezer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

piperh wrote: »
    After a busy morning play fighting with his sister yesterday he seems to be limping again and holding his leg up which he did occasionally. The vet said its nothing serious but setbacks are par for the course and he is generally ok and showing no obvious signs of pain except for limping.

This is your problem and I have it myself atm with Bailey. All the supplements in the world aren't going to stop him limping and make him heal faster if he's not getting adequate rest. With my two I'm having to stop them playing multiple times in the evenings so he's not jumping around too much - the have excess energy because we've been having shorter walks during the week. I usually give them a kong or chew to keep them busy and separated - they'll go to their separate beds/mats until they're ready to swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

tk123 wrote: »
    This is your problem and I have it myself atm with Bailey. All the supplements in the world aren't going to stop him limping and make him heal faster if he's not getting adequate rest. With my two I'm having to stop them playing multiple times in the evenings so he's not jumping around too much - the have excess energy because we've been having shorter walks during the week. I usually give them a kong or chew to keep them busy and separated - they'll go to their separate beds/mats until they're ready to swap.

Ahh Tk it's a nightmare as soon as our backs are turned they are off and their favourite game is grab a hind leg until one falls over.... really helpful to his healing :-/ We do give them bones and kongs to help with the boredom unfortunately they are both high energy so it's a constant battle to keep him quiet. Initially I got 2 weeks sat on my ass as the only time he's settled is at my feet ;-)

cocker5 wrote: »
    http://www.holistichound.ie/#!gels/cfpf

its the one called golden paste..

she's doing 15% off until the end of January if you use the code "love15"

my guy is on the Luposan pellets, salmon oil and now the tumeric paste..

since starting him on the paste i do notice a spring in his step :D

all 3 together are working great for him.

I ordered 3 of the tumeric paste, one is in my fridge and i popped the other 2 in the freezer

Thanks I'll give it a try as I said it can't hurt.

piperh wrote: »
    Ahh Tk it's a nightmare as soon as our backs are turned they are off and their favourite game is grab a hind leg until one falls over.... really helpful to his healing :-/ We do give them bones and kongs to help with the boredom unfortunately they are both high energy so it's a constant battle to keep him quiet. Initially I got 2 weeks sat on my ass as the only time he's settled is at my feet ;-)

My two like to bite/crush each other..often with one or both of them on the couch so they jump up and down non stop!! I tell them 'that's enough!!" and one will go and sit on the bed..then the other is over either shoving themselves or a toy in the other's face until they start playing! :rolleyes::pac: The other day Bailey was stretched out on the couch with my mum petting him and Lucy had murder barking - we assumed she was 'jealous' that he was getting attention.. NO she wanted him to stop talking to my mum and play with her instead lol!! :D

I let Bailey off lead 2 weeks ago and he ran wild and was hobbling for days... he had a hydro session last week (and last night) and fine after being off for a few mins on Saturday and Sunday so I'll try him again over the weekend and see how he gets on.
    I just didn't rest him enough initially "oh just 5 mins at the end of our walk" so this has been dragging on months!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    My two like to bite/crush each other..often with one or both of them on the couch so they jump up and down non stop!! I tell them 'that's enough!!" and one will go and sit on the bed..then the other is over either shoving themselves or a toy in the other's face until they start playing! :rolleyes::pac: The other day Bailey was stretched out on the couch with my mum petting him and Lucy had murder barking - we assumed she was 'jealous' that he was getting attention.. NO she wanted him to stop talking to my mum and play with her instead lol!! :D

I let Bailey off lead 2 weeks ago and he ran wild and was hobbling for days... he had a hydro session last week (and last night) and fine after being off for a few mins on Saturday and Sunday so I'll try him again over the weekend and see how he gets on.
    I just didn't rest him enough initially "oh just 5 mins at the end of our walk" so this has been dragging on months!

Haha it sounds just like my two nutjobs :-D

I think I did the same "ohh he's fine now a run won't hurt him" and I let him do to much to soon. Where do you do hydro and is it referral only? I'd like to try it for my 2. My girl has hip dysplasia and loves swimming (although the smellier and more stagnant the better :-/ ) and the lump would try and swim in a puddle, it's just been to cold and wild to take them lately.

We'd been going to Sharpwells for years... but after he had an operation on his jaw he wouldn't let us lift him into the pool so had to take a break for the last year or so. I've been to Canine County Club as well a couple of times and while it's brilliant it's just no workable as evenings and weekends are booked up .. Tried him back at Sharpwells on Thurs and he gave one grumble but had a swim and was very good. I let him off for a few mins yesterday evening and he went running around with Lucy but no lameness or stiffness last night.:D You need a referral for both if there's an injury. I had Lucy swimming last year and didn't need a referral for Sharpwells but did need one for CCC and that was just for fun/fitness.

https://www.facebook.com/Sharpwells-K9-Hydro-centre-116842325047111/?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I thought these supplements mentioned in this thread were for bone and joint (cartilage) issues. Are they not to help lubricate the joints? How would they help soft tissue and tendon damage? Surely the only thing that would help is rest and avoiding further stress on the injured area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I thought these supplements mentioned in this thread were for bone and joint (cartilage) issues. Are they not to help lubricate the joints? How would they help soft tissue and tendon damage? Surely the only thing that would help is rest and avoiding further stress on the injured area?

Its the anti inflammatory effect of supplements such as turmeric/curcumin, fish oils, glucosamine thats helpful for soft tissue injury healing.

Advertisement