Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vet said its ok for dog to lick stiches

• 21-01-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My dog was in today to get spayed. I had planned on getting her a collar and was so unorganised that I didn't get one.
    I collected her this evening and was dreading using the cone!!!

She didn't have one on and the vet said that she didn't need one. Now I really do trust my vet but I find it so strange that he thinks she will be ok and that it is good for her to lick the stitches.

He said that it is 3 layers of stiches deep so even if she pulled at them it would be ok.

What do people think? She is here sleeping beside me but I don't mind admitting I will be a bit worried that she will be at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Does your dog have a coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Does your dog have a coat?

Do you mean a coat that I put on her?
    She is a Siberian husky crossed with samoyed and has a big coat of her own!!!

Ah I see. My westie has a coat for when she gets clipped. When she got spayed she didn't have a cone so I put her coat on so she couldn't get at the stitches.

Ah I see. My westie has a coat for when she gets clipped. When she got spayed she didn't have a cone so I put her coat on so she couldn't get at the stitches.

The vet said that it is ok for her to be licking them. It is that that has me worried but hopefully he is right and knows what he is talking about!

I would have thought saliva would be full of bacteria, I would worry about the wound getting infected. I would definitely not be letting her lick the wound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Most dogs almost completely ignore the wound.
    Some dogs start licking, but then won't stop... It's almost hypnotic for them, and these are the dogs that need a cone or inflatable collar.
    The problem is, neither you nor your vet know which category your dog will fall into, and in my experience, if the dog decides tostart licking (and often nibbling), then it doesn't matter how many layers of stitches there are... All the more to nibble on.
    Pain medication will usually minimise licking, so hopefully you either got some, or have been advised by your vet re same.
    I would rather err on the side of caution until I know better, and I have a strong preference for the inflatable collar for any abdominal surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Fully agree with the last post. Some dogs are lick a lot normally as that is the breed habit. Then there could be a problem but all you need to do is watch for the first day and get s collar if needed. Personally my preference was to have a collar but we had a tradegy. A beloved collie that we had for nine years had to have his tail off because of an ulser. He was trained not to chase cars but the stress of the collar cause him to return to instinct and he was knocked down in our yard by a neighbours car. Suggest you watch the dog and decide what's best depending on the dogs behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

The Vet I go to is of that same mind set, he flat out refuses to do cones. He also says its fine for them to lick the wound!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The Vet I go to is of that same mind set, he flat out refuses to do cones. He also says its fine for them to lick the wound!

He must never have had a dog come back to him with wound pulled open in that case... My own vet used to say the same, but after a couple of incidents of bitches licking, rooting and pulling out stitches with pretty horrible consequences, it's one she's pretty fussy about now! I think a vet is potentially leaving themselves wide open by not assuming the worst until they know more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I used a tshirt on my girl with a knot tied on her back to be safe. She had no interest in it but wasn't taking any chances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A toddler onesie worked for us to prevent my dog licking at her stitches post-spay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Leo got neutered a couple of weeks ago, and my vet kept reiterating not to let him lick the suture or get it too wet. He only had three stitches.

I used a cone on him when I wasnt going to be able to supervise and bed time.

To be honest, the cone bothered me more than it did him. All other times when I could supervise I removed the cone. He never attempted to lick.

I was a bit worried about her this morning...
    There was Blood in her urine. I called the vet and he said that it was fine. He said that she had a tough operation and he had to move the bladder and that a bit of blood is fine. He reckons that its ok that she has no energy today and that she should be feeling better tomorrow. She had pyometra and he put in a strong pain killer and antibiotic that is slow release and she is on antibiotics for a few days. I asked again about her licking the scar and he said to leave her to it if she wanted.

Then about an hour after I got up I noticed that she was licking at the stitches and that there was a bit of blood coming of one of the stitches (the rest of it looks nice and clean). I decided to call into a new vets and they said that she should have the collar on and to keep her away from the stitches.. they say that there will now be a worry about infection and to keep an eye on it (I didn't bring her in cause she is wrecked) and I am to bring her in if it looks red or keeps bleeding.

I am now worried because I forgot to ask the second vet about the bleeding in the urine... Does anybody on here know if that is ok and normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The blood in urine happened to a friends bitch, she was fine after about 36 hours(of complete panic and stress for owner).
    My girl never touched her stitches, but did get jumped on and rolled by a large escaped dog, which popped 2 stitches. She was about 5 days post op and I just kept it dry and vet advised a cut off sleeve of a jumper to cover it at night, heeled up fine if a little slow, she did lick a couple of times but didn't try and pull out or bite stitches. My vet doesn't like comes either, but does say if they go near stitches call him for a cone.

That is horrible that your dog got attacked while recovering... hard enough as it is!

Nymeria is doing much better today. She did not mind the solar too much and I have it of her today while I can watch her... She will have to wear it again tomorrow.

I rang the second vet and he said that it can be normal for her to have a bit of blood in the urine and to make sure she takes her anti biotics and she should be ok. He says to keep her away from the stitches completely.
    I find it mad that two vets can have such different opinions about weather it is ok for her to lick the stitches or not!

Now my only worry is that she has not woo woo'd or howled at all since coming home and she used to talk all day... I have opened another thread for that though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

AryaStark wrote: »
    That is horrible that your dog got attacked while recovering... hard enough as it is!

Nymeria is doing much better today. She did not mind the solar too much and I have it of her today while I can watch her... She will have to wear it again tomorrow.

I rang the second vet and he said that it can be normal for her to have a bit of blood in the urine and to make sure she takes her anti biotics and she should be ok. He says to keep her away from the stitches completely.
    I find it mad that two vets can have such different opinions about weather it is ok for her to lick the stitches or not!

Now my only worry is that she has not woo woo'd or howled at all since coming home and she used to talk all day... I have opened another thread for that though!!!

It is mad that vets can differ so much and frankly some vets are a bit stupid. Years ago we were with a certain vet (whom we've since left), and I was told I didnt need a cone after getting my Labrador spayed. Well she started licking her belly and just wouldn't stop, and within no length a huge raw patch had developed. The vet STILL said she didn't need a cone!!! He also said if she kept at it it might mean shes allergic to the internal stitches!! I mean honestly, talk about trying to make life complicated!
    Anyway had to follow her round for two weeks supervising her and I used antiseptic powder to dry it up and heal it. On reflection I can't believe I didn't change vets there and then , and just get a cone off another vet, twas 10 years ago and you get wiser over the years I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

She actually wasn't attacked as such, it was a mastiff cross puppy of about 5 months who bounded over to play and had awful coordination, half landed on, half kicked my poor pup (Lhasa Apso so small girl) and the owner was so apologetic and upset my pup may have been hurt, she was fine except the popped stitches, didn't seem sore or anything after couple hours was back to normal.

Glad your girls bit better, mine was quiet too (she's a talker too, but Lhasa groans and grunts with occasional woo's), it's actually harder after a few days to keep them from jumping around.

Vets all have differing opinions, one of ours is very much a you know your pet best, kind of guy (or at least he is with us, and has taken on board info I've given him) another is very by the book.

mymo wrote: »
    She actually wasn't attacked as such, it was a mastiff cross puppy of about 5 months who bounded over to play and had awful coordination, half landed on, half kicked my poor pup (Lhasa Apso so small girl) and the owner was so apologetic and upset my pup may have been hurt, she was fine except the popped stitches, didn't seem sore or anything after couple hours was back to normal.

I can see how that can happen! Our border collie wants to play now... they usually play a lot and he is wondering why she is not coming to play (live in two different houses on the same land!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'd always use the cone or whatever other form of protection. We didnt for our dog a couple of years ago, she opened the wound and died (sparing graphic details).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

The tshirt idea is a good one. Less distressing for them than a cone and it works well (as long as you make sure you get it on properly so it isn't loose.)

Re the blood in pee, as long as it isn't more than a day or two at most, I have heard of that before. More than a couple of days, and I would think dog needs back at vets.

Our vets wouldn't put a cone/tshirt etc on dogs UNLESS the dogs start licking. Not like cats that have the abrasive tongues. Some dogs will lick, some won't.

Good luck, I hope your pup comes round well.

• Advertisement

kathleen37 wrote: »
    The tshirt idea is a good one. Less distressing for them than a cone and it works well (as long as you make sure you get it on properly so it isn't loose.)

Re the blood in pee, as long as it isn't more than a day or two at most, I have heard of that before. More than a couple of days, and I would think dog needs back at vets.

Our vets wouldn't put a cone/tshirt etc on dogs UNLESS the dogs start licking. Not like cats that have the abrasive tongues. Some dogs will lick, some won't.

Good luck, I hope your pup comes round well.
    Thanks.. I am not needing the cone at all now as she is not at it at all and the stitches look great.
    The poor thing is now having a false pregnancy and convinced that a teddy is her baby.. She is all distressed and trying to settle her now. I feel so sorry for her :-(

So sorry to hear about the above posters dog .. that is a terrible thing to happen.

Advertisement