Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving advice

Options
  • 22-01-2016 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I am about to move from house and there is just so much stuff. Just wondering what is best way to pack up? everyone says just put everything in box's?

If boxes where do I get them? go to local shop and ask them to keep them for me?

Any ideas would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am about to move from house and there is just so much stuff. Just wondering what is best way to pack up? everyone says just put everything in box's?

If boxes where do I get them? go to local shop and ask them to keep them for me?

Any ideas would be great

Depends what you have to pack. I have moved 8 times in ten years so am good at this! Boxes are available in most supermarkets. Ask at the checkout and often they have a place they keep them. Crockery needs padding; I use eg pillowcases. Big bin bags for soft things; you can get heavier blue rubble bags at many supermarkets. Remember to label boxes where you can see the label. KITCHEN etc. to avoid a search for the kettle and tea when you get there. Put all that you will need immediately in one box. I set all packed boxes aside in one room; that way you are organised and can see progress and keep the upheaval to a minimum ..Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends what you have to pack. I have moved 8 times in ten years so am good at this! Boxes are available in most supermarkets. Ask at the checkout and often they have a place they keep them. Crockery needs padding; I use eg pillowcases. Big bin bags for soft things; you can get heavier blue rubble bags at many supermarkets. Remember to label boxes where you can see the label. KITCHEN etc. to avoid a search for the kettle and tea when you get there. Put all that you will need immediately in one box. I set all packed boxes aside in one room; that way you are organised and can see progress and keep the upheaval to a minimum ..Good luck!

We have to pack everything, we have lived in house since 08 and I live in it since 02. Two kids and a dog as well :P

So everything but the kitchen sink....it will be fun as there is attic full of stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Since you've lived there so long there's probably a lot of junk accumulated. If you have the time, I'd at least go through the attic and the shed, kids toys etc and throw out anything broken, donate things etc. then pack anything that is left. Otherwise you'll be packing junk and unpacking junk on the other end!

There's probably a free cycle page on fb for your area. Lots of times people on there have moving boxes to give away.

If you are near ikea they do very sturdy boxes but I've no idea of price

Also give the kids a box each to put their favourite toys in, mark it especially so that this can be unpacked first.

A week before the move, get them to fill their box, and then you pack every other toy up.

For bed clothes, simply roll the entire set off the bed into a kind of sausage , using the fitted sheet underneath to secure. Then when you get to the other end you just have to unroll it straight into the new bed.

For other sheets in the hotpress etc. a great minimising technique is to put a whole matching set into one pillowcase. So matching Pillowcases, duvet cover, fitted sheet all folded into one case. Makes them very easy to pack and find later. They also stack well.

Edited to add: if you are also working full time or very busy a thing that helps me get started packing was every day picking a room and making myself fill one box. It doesn't take that long but it makes you feel like you are making progress!

I done a quick google and there is a couple of companies like below selling packs of boxes and wrap etc, are they worth looking into?

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

• Advertisement

I done a quick google and there is a couple of companies like below selling packs of boxes and wrap etc, are they worth looking into?

They are if you can find a good price, but 5€ a box is way too steep if you are packing an entire house!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They are if you can find a good price, but 5€ a box is way too steep if you are packing an entire house!

Dreadful cost! I have never had any problem getting boxes; they are often very glad to get rid of them. Never dreamed of BUYING them... The house I had before this had been empty a while and the place was full of kids stuff. Toys, books etc; most of it went to Vincent de Paul.

We bought a few but only because we were moving a ton of books and really needed sturdy boxes that could hold that weight. Also things like power tools etc went in them. Everythign else went into supermarket boxes.

Another thing I did at the time of moving was get some plastic storage boxes from ikea and organise things like the attic or the office. The boxes just got moved directly to their new home and weren't unpacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Wondering how much it would cost to have my things moved to a new apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

Wondering where the one bed duplex apartment is situated in leas na Mara knocknacarra as I may be moving there and tuath housing have not given me the number of the house yet. Any info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Don't use that crowd :mad:, let me down at the end of last year just before I moved home, I'd avoid.

I used a removal company and they provided all the boxes I needed a couple of weeks beforehand so I had time to pack everything up.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Don't use that crowd :mad:, let me down at the end of last year just before I moved home, I'd avoid.

I used a removal company and they provided all the boxes I needed a couple of weeks beforehand so I had time to pack everything up.

Thanks, I ended up going to local tesco who are giving me boxes so packing at the moment

Who was removal crowd? they expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I moved for the 6th time in my 20s just before christmas (hopefully it will be my last move for a while as I've bought now rather than renting)

My BF and I had only been lving in our 2 bed apt for 14 months and we still had so much stuff! I'd started going through stuff weeeks in advance, throwing out rubbing and donating anything that was still ok but unwanted, and it still didnt seem to make much of a difference.

When I move again, I'll definitely be paying for professionals. Nest time there will be furniture and all sorts to move, so I would fancy doing that without help :o

Advertisement