Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

980Ti Differences between brands/clock speeds?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

In my opinion for anything other than powering a 4k monitor there would be no difference in any of the 980Ti models. Just ensure the model you choose has good reviews regarding cooling - some of the dearer cards are dearer due to improved/quieter fans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The dearer ones will give you more FPS then the lower priced ones and be the ones most likely to have good OC potential so you can squeeze even more FPS out of them. I have a non gaming 970 and it won't OC as much as the Gaming version does. Its a case of diminishing returns though, do you want to spend an extra 200 quid to get a few FPS extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Im looking at various 980Ti's and am a little confused. Theres almost a £200 difference between the cheapest model and the most expensive one. Is there really a circa 30% performance boost between these models?

Cheapest model:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-palit-gtx-980-ti-super-jetstream-pcie-30-(x16)-7000mhz-gddr5-gpu-1152mhz-boost-1241mhz-cores-281

Dearest Model:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-asus-gtx-980-ti-20th-anniversary-gold-ed-gaming-pcie-30-7200mhz-gddr5-gpu-1266mhz-boost-1367mhz-

As for that, where do mid priced one like this stack up? Is there any way of knowing if any of the extra tech like bundled software, added bells and whistles really make that much of a difference?

Mid Price Model:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/6gb-msi-gtx-980ti-gaming-6g-twin-frozr-5-pcie-30-7096mhz-gddr5-gpu-1178mhz-boost-1279mhz-cores-2816-

Dearest model- don't bother, its a special limited edition, so it cost more that the other two.
    From the others two, msi would be the one to go for.

Other one I would strongly recommend would be gigabyte gaming and evga classified.

I have msi myself, and it clocks to 1496 mhz no problem, while keeping temps around 74-75 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

So long as the voltage is locked by nVidia on 980ti, there's no point in paying for more OC ability. Get a decent cooler from Gigabyte, MSI or ASUS, and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fourtwozero

Thanks for the replies, plenty of food for thought. Which would you say is the best model of the better brands like Msi, EVGA, Asus? There are so many options its a bit bewildering.

I'm considering this as first step to going 4k once it matures - ie an extra 980ti before it goes off sale, and upgrading to Kaby Lake. I already have a seasonic 1000w PSU and 4 x 512mb SSDs and 32Gb of ram. Am I jumping the gun on 4K:confused::confused: Would I be better to wait for later model GPU's and Cannonlake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Overclockers have a Zotac 980Ti for 499, clocks are pretty basic though and won't be as fast out of the box than others, if you don't want to overclock yourself.

I got a super deal from them on the ichill 980ti hybrid, it's got a strong overclock out of the box, it's actually hard to get much more out of it.

The jetstream model you're looking at has decent clocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dual 980Ti's would be needed for 4K gaming realistically, assuming you wanted to run games with all the bells and whistles enabled.

Going SLI with something like the GTX960 or 970 is one thing...but dual 980ti's would not be a good return on investment really, scaling isn't great in a lot of titles, can vary from 20-9x%.

If your goal is gaming at 4K, better off waiting for the next range of cards in the summer and see what the high end models can do at 4K.

I had a 4K monitor myself and with my 980Ti at ultra it wasn't cutting the mustard overall. Back to 1440p now and happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

From my own research for my 970, MSI looks to be the best bet. The ASUS one does about the same, but is a little louder, and Gigabyte's one does the best, but it's also the loudest by quite a bit. EVGA's isn't quite as good as the rest, and it's not as quiet as MSI's either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I have the msi 980 ti. Works like a charm. Very quiet, and keeps cool.

Advertisement