Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay for hospital?

Options
  • 22-01-2016 8:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, few weeks ago my son was sick. Doctor sent us to hospital with letter. In hospital they kept us for 3 days. Now we got a bill from hospital for 225€ to pay in 7 days . We have a free GP visit card for kids under 6. Lady in reception in hospital said this card is cover our visit. Do I have to pay this bill? This 225 make a big difference in my budget especially if I have to pay in 7 days. Maybe can I pay later on in few payments?
    Thanks for advice.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

newstyle wrote: »
    Hi, few weeks ago my son was seek. Doctor sent us to hospital with letter. In hospital they kept us for 3 days. Now we got a bill from hospital for 225€ to pay in 7 days . We have a free GP visit card for kids under 6. Lady in reception in hospital said this card is cover our visit. Do I have to pay this bill? This 225 make a big difference in my budget especially if I have to pay in 7 days. Maybe can I pay later on in few payments?
    Thanks for advice.
    Regards

A GP Visit card covers GP visits, not hospital stays. However it would be worth a phone call to the number on the invoice and seek clarification. Either way, if the bill is payable, the HSE will be happy to accept payment over an extended period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Ask them to provide you with the form you signed accepting liability for this bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ejabrod wrote: »
    Ask them to provide you with the form you signed accepting liability for this bill.

This isn't a civil contract; so this is irrelevant. Charges are state levied and laid down in law.

The bill has to be paid, but the 7 days is pretty safe to wilfully ignore - they don't get payment at all from about 20% of patients and until recently had no real enforcement method for them - they do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

L1011 wrote: »
    This isn't a civil contract; so this is irrelevant. Charges are state levied and laid down in law.

The bill has to be paid, but the 7 days is pretty safe to wilfully ignore - they don't get payment at all from about 20% of patients and until recently had no real enforcement method for them - they do now.

From recent personal experience, having requested the hospital to provide this information, the could not and wrote a letter to advise that they would not be requesting payment.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/hospital_services/hospital_charges.html - see the section "Public in-patients in public hospitals"

There is a standard charge of €75 per night levied by the hospital. Assuming your son is more than 6 week sold, then you do not appear to fall into one of the groups that are exempt from the charges, and seem to have been correctly charged

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From recent personal experience, having requested the hospital to provide this information, the could not and wrote a letter to advise that they would not be requesting payment.

So you've happy to have them patch you up but you'd rather everyone else fits the bill? Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Your under 6s card covers gp visits and A/e only.
    The lady at the desk did not know that you would be admitted to hospital when she told you there was no charge.

225 is very cheap when you consider staff wages. IV lines, blood work chest X-ray etc. you are getting a really good deal there. Pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It sounds like the receptionist thought you had a full medical card, which would have meant you wouldn't be charged however the GP visit card is clearly defined and is of no use in hospitals, unfortunately.

Patient accounts will work with you, ring them on Monday and ask. You could set up a payment plan with them and spread the cost over a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that attitudes like this will eventually result in policies like "Sorry, I can't give you an emergency tracheotomy until you give me cash up front."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not provide dubious advice that could leave the OP legally exposed.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Take take take and cry when it breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I was recently sent to the Mater hospital by a GP, with letter etc, got billed by them and I just went in to them and showed them the GP letter again, told them I'd been sent in by GP and they said not to worry about the bill in that case.

With the Mater at least, having a GP letter referring you to the hospital negates the hospital's bill but I will note that I'm not sure if this applies to all hospitals or if it's just the Mater's policy though so may not apply to you. Worth a try though maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

JustShon wrote: »
    I was recently sent to the Mater hospital by a GP, with letter etc, got billed by them and I just went in to them and showed them the GP letter again, told them I'd been sent in by GP and they said not to worry about the bill in that case.

With the Mater at least, having a GP letter referring you to the hospital negates the hospital's bill but I will note that I'm not sure if this applies to all hospitals or if it's just the Mater's policy though so may not apply to you. Worth a try though maybe?

Was that just for A&E though? The OP had been admitted and that should be paid for, with or without a GP note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Was that just for A&E though? The OP had been admitted and that should be paid for, with or without a GP note.

Ah yeah, that was just A&E. My mistake, disregard my statement so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

A GP referral letter covers the e100 A&E charge, regardless of whether you have a medical card.

A GP card does not cover the e75 per night charge for being an inpatient in a hospital. Only medical cards cover this, and certain health insurance policies.

Unfortunately, you will need to pay the e225, but perhaps you could contact the billing department to ask if you could set up a payment plan. They might help you out. But either way you will have to pay.

Hope your kid is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't worry about the 7 days notice thing, just call them and agree a payment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

newstyle wrote: »
    Hi, few weeks ago my son was sick. Doctor sent us to hospital with letter. In hospital they kept us for 3 days. Now we got a bill from hospital for 225€ to pay in 7 days . We have a free GP visit card for kids under 6. Lady in reception in hospital said this card is cover our visit. Do I have to pay this bill? This 225 make a big difference in my budget especially if I have to pay in 7 days. Maybe can I pay later on in few payments?
    Thanks for advice.
    Regards

Have you got health insurance? If so contact them, they may be able to pay this for you. If not you can claim 20% of your medical expenses back on the MED 1 form from Revenue, if you pay tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Hospitals can be very accommodating regarding paying the bill over time.

If you do not have the means to pay discuss this with your community welfare officer

The fees do attract tax relief at 20% that can claimed the year following payment

Advertisement