Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk space checker / cleanup?

Options
  • 22-01-2016 8:59am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm 99% full on my 120gb ssd hard drive. I have two and my other is a 1tb where I keep all my data. The only thing is lightroom but I don't think its all because of that. I don't really keep anything on the C drive so not sure why its full. What tools can I use to see whats taking up all the space?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm 99% full on my 120gb ssd hard drive. I have two and my other is a 1tb where I keep all my data. The only thing is lightroom but I don't think its all because of that. I don't really keep anything on the C drive so not sure why its full. What tools can I use to see whats taking up all the space?

Windirstat is excellent for that sort of thing

https://windirstat.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Ccleaner for temp files and old restore points. Disable hibernation if you don't use it. Shadow volume copies can use a lot of space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TreeSizeFree + CCleaner. Nothing else needed.

With SSDs I've risked Win Installer Cleanup, but that causes more pain than its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

As mentioned a large amount of space can be set aside by having hibernation enabled, and the pagefile i think defaults to the amount of ram you have. Hibernation can be disabled, and pagefile can be set to a lower amount. Other than those two items, find whats using space with windirstat/treesize

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And if you're researching 'disk cleanup' on the web, ignore any advice to run defrag as you have an SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Disable windows restore if you think you don,t need it,
    the restore point files take up gig,s of space .
    also go to web browser.menu, settings, delete internet history,
    apart from password, cookies, for sites you use frequently .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys. I used winderstat and found a 67gb log file that was giving me all the problems haha

Advertisement