Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PC upgrade

Options
  • 22-01-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I was thinking of buying a new PC, but when checking what was wrong with my old one, I realized that the only reason I would upgrade is because the graphics, in one of the few games I play, Overwatch, is broken, while it still plays well. So I have the option of buying a new PC or replace the graphics card, but my PC is really old, about 10 years, and the SSD keeps it running imo.
    Actual specs:
    CPU: Intel e6600 (ironically the processor when I buy new, would be an i5-6600)
    Graphic Card: Asus GT610
    Motherboard: ASUS P5B
    Memory: 4GB

The minimum requirements for Overwatch are:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 or AMD Phenom™ X3 865
    Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460, ATI Radeon™ HD 4850, or Intel® HD Graphics 4400
    Memory: 768 MB VRAM, 4 GB System RAM

Would it make sense to replace the graphic card? Usually I play on low setting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your graphics card isn't a gaming card, it's designed for HD decoding and the like, not for playing games - it's only a fraction of the power of the cards listed as the minimum requirement, so if the game even works at all it's somewhat of a miracle!

The processor is also going to hold you back, but nowhere near as badly as the GT610. That's just relating to that one specific game however. Broadly speaking your whole PC needs an overhaul.

A €100 GTX750 is about 800% faster than that GT610 and would be a good buy.

If you can overclock the Q6600 it will help also.

edit: those minimum requirements also don't make sense....an i3 is way faster than an X3 processor, and Intel HD4400 graphics are nowhere near close as fast as a GTX460 or HD4850...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you can overclock the Q6600 it will help also.

He's got the E not the Q, the dual core variant.

Very weak at this point, even with a 50% OC that might be possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dead right, good spot!

Sorry OP, I think it's game over with the current PC.

If you want to keep costs to a minimum, if the board accepts Core2Quads, a 2ns hand Q6600 is 30, something like a GT640 is 30, so a total of 60 should see you through for the next while with those titles at a somewhat reasonable improvement.

After that, it's upgrade time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Thanks for that, i will now look up the final components of my new pc and check back here to be sure not to buy a wrong part again. :)

1. What is your budget? €1100

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming but PC will be on a lot of the time, so needs to be stable and reliable. Overwatch will be main game. Also like to install linux from time to time, so if this works together would be a plus.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? hard drives

5. Do you need a monitor? no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Have keyboard and speakers, might need a gaming mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? credit card, paypal or bank transfer

9. When are you purchasing? February

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Hardwareversand would build it for a 10er, else if someone is enthusiastic in Cork and would like to help me, I am happy to provide drinks, food and some dosh.

So I used one of the pre-set configurations "High end gaming" at the page and downgraded the graphic card and the mainboard as I dont think it will be beneficial to me. Also removed the hard drive as I have two in my old one I can use. So I came up with this configuration, but no idea if the graphic card, cpu and motherboard is a good combination.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator/meinpc/1379546

Intel Core I5-6600K Bx, Sockel 1151, ohne Kühler 254,99 €
    ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming (1151, ATX, DDR4) 162,99 €
    be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 42,99 €
    16GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (4x 4GB 100,99 €
    be quiet! SILENT BASE 800 Orange, ATX, ohne Netzteil 115,99 €
    be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 10 600W 102,99 €
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 Windforce2 OC, 4GB GDDR5 227,99 €
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 250 GB 82,90 €
    HV207GB4DE LG GH24NS bare schwarz 12,99 €

Price overall is 1114 Euros atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Your build is in a good direction, but it can be improved here and there;
    Drop the 6600K to a 6400 and BCLK overclock it. Look up "Skylake BCLK Overclocking" on Google for details.
    I would drop the motherboard to an MSI Z170A Pro or a Gigabyte Z170 UD-H3 (or something) to save money. Stay in the Z series to overclock the BCLK on Skylake.
    Drop the 16GB RAM to 8GB DDR4, as you won't see any performamce increase, and you can always add on later.
    The beQuiet Silent 800 is a good case, but if you want to save some money, the Silent 600 is just as quiet, but lacks some water cooling features.
    The PSU is expensive for 600W. I would try and source the Pure Power 9/8 series with 80+ Bronze instead for €20 less or so.
    You could drop the Samsung SSD for a Crucial BX200. Same capacity but €15 cheaper.
    You could put all your savings into the AMD R9 390 by Powercolor (the quietest version) or the Sapphire version (the longest, but fastest version. Still just as quiet)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Intel are locking down on the Non-K over clocking Eoin. Will still work, but not if you want to keep the newest BIOS for your board.

Just to let people know, not sure how big a deal an old BIOS is. The old BIOS could be pulled from the sites at any time imo

Thanks for your feedback, I took it on and have modified the build

http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator/meinpc/1380224

Intel Core I5-6600 Box, Sockel 1151 233,99 €
    Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P, Sockel 1151, ATX 120,99 €
    be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 42,99 €
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 MT/s DIMM 288pin, 4GBx2 49,99 €
    be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 Orange, ATX, ohne Netzteil 95,99 €
    be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 600 Watt 76,99 €
    Gigabyte R9 380 Gaming G1, 4GB DDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, Displayport 233,99 €
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 250 GB 82,90 €
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz 12,99 €

Total value: 988,81 €

As I am not thinking about overclocking, I decided to go for the non K version, as in my twisted mind the step from a e6600 to a i5-6600 is simply a sign. Also it seems that performance wise the 6400 is 20% weaker but the difference is only 60 Euros, so I am fine with spending more here.
    For the graphics card, didn't go with the 390 as I don't think I will fully use it and the price gap is not worth it, so picked the 380 from Gigabyte, the other option would be the Sapphire but I couldn't find any test to show which one of those cards would be better. General there seems to be a preference for Sapphire but that is because of the brand.
    And for the PSU, is 600 enough? I think Sapphire or Gigabyte mention on their homepage for the model, 500 Watt is needed, so I think 600 should be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get a cheaper motherboard to save a few bob.

What's the Shadow Rock 2?

600w is loads

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What's the Shadow Rock 2?

208658_3596762582.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Intel are locking down on the Non-K over clocking Eoin. Will still work, but not if you want to keep the newest BIOS for your board.

Just to let people know, not sure how big a deal an old BIOS is. The old BIOS could be pulled from the sites at any time imo

I heard about this actually. Well, you could always download the current BCLK OCable BIOS today and just store it on your old PC for future use.

Intel man.

Advertisement