Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a commercial vehicle for private use.

• 22-01-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

So, I've the chance to buy a Discovery at a decent price but it's a commercial vehicle. I'd need to get it classed as private and insured as such. What would I need to do. Literally no idea how tax, ncT come into it and what I'd have to do. Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just off the bat if you want a private one buy a private one.

You'll need to talk to the revenue as there may be some kind of Vrt owed as commercial rate would have been paid initially, you'll also need to convert it back to passenger, so may need seat belts fitter etc.
    A commercial will always be cheaper than private so if your comparing the 2 it's not really like for like.
    Best of luck getting the answers, I've s feeling you'll give up before you get them all. It's an unusual thing to do. The savings would probably be lost in the conversion and re-classifying process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you buying it to use for ferrying stuff around, or do you see yourself converting it into a passenger vehicle?

If it's the former, then getting it reclassed and insured as private is pretty straightforward. Though you might have some convincing to do with your insurance company - why would you have a van if you're not going to use it to carry goods?

If it's the latter, then drunkmonkey is right. Unless someone is giving you a mint condition van for next to nothing, the cost of converting it to a passenger vehicle might not be economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

seamus wrote: »
    Are you buying it to use for ferrying stuff around, or do you see yourself converting it into a passenger vehicle?

If it's the former, then getting it reclassed and insured as private is pretty straightforward. Though you might have some convincing to do with your insurance company - why would you have a van if you're not going to use it to carry goods?

If it's the latter, then drunkmonkey is right. Unless someone is giving you a mint condition van for next to nothing, the cost of converting it to a passenger vehicle might not be economical.

It's a five seat Discovery, the third row was removed and welded etc. Don't need the 7 seats so I'm sure it's physically up to scratch. Thanks again. I'm clueless on paying the tax and VRT etc and Google wasn't helping much.

Also, if I do get it insured and taxed does that cause problems down the line in terms of selling it on for potential commercial buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Although an old post, this post poses the exact question I have.
    I'm the look out to replace our 7 seater MPV with a larger 8 seat vehicle (secondhand) that can give kids a bit of room and carry decent amount of luggage in the boot in-comparison to MPV.

It seems the most secondhand vehicles that suit my needs (e.g Renault Trafic Passenger https://www.renault.ie/vehicles/new-vehicles/trafic/design.html) are found under the 'Commercial Vehicles' category on car sites. I don't intend using it as Commericial Vehicle, and I'm sure that the vehicles I'm looking at were probably used as mini-buses, so probably in a different motor tax category again. I intend on taxing PRIVATELY. So...will the (private) motor tax for vehicle be based on emissions of vehicle or does it revert to engine size simply because it wasn't a private vehicle from new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

soc wrote: »
    Although an old post, this post poses the exact question I have.
    I'm the look out to replace our 7 seater MPV with a larger 8 seat vehicle (secondhand) that can give kids a bit of room and carry decent amount of luggage in the boot in-comparison to MPV.

It seems the most secondhand vehicles that suit my needs (e.g Renault Trafic Passenger https://www.renault.ie/vehicles/new-vehicles/trafic/design.html) are found under the 'Commercial Vehicles' category on car sites. I don't intend using it as Commericial Vehicle, and I'm sure that the vehicles I'm looking at were probably used as mini-buses, so probably in a different motor tax category again. I intend on taxing PRIVATELY. So...will the (private) motor tax for vehicle be based on emissions of vehicle or does it revert to engine size simply because it wasn't a private vehicle from new?

9 seat vehicles or less are classified as private and taxed on engine size or co2 emissions depending on age.

To be taxed as anything but a private vehicle or taxi the vehicle has to have at least 9 passenger seats plus the driver, and that type of vehicle requires a D licence to drive.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    9 seat vehicles or less are classified as private and taxed on engine size or co2 emissions depending on age.

To be taxed as anything but a private vehicle or taxi the vehicle has to have at least 9 passenger seats plus the driver, and that type of vehicle requires a D licence to drive.

Cars are 2013 onwards. So I will use emissions as a basis to calculate motor tax, when factoring in overall cost of car. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

soc wrote: »
    Cars are 2013 onwards. So I will use emissions as a basis to calculate motor tax, when factoring in overall cost of car. Thanks

No such thing as emissions based tax for commercial cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kceire wrote: »
    No such thing as emissions based tax for commercial cars.

But an 8 seat minibus isn't a commercial, so is taxed on emissions.

Got a reply back from Motor Tax office. Vehicle would be taxed on CO2 emissions. Thanks all for help.

Advertisement