Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode discussion

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

If such changes were restricted to the largest Eircode geographical areas, such as H91, the impact would be much more limited if done now. Royal Mail has changed postcode areas in the past and as Eircodes are not yet in that widespread use yet small changes could work without much fuss.

But this is all hypothetical.. I can't see any changes being made anytime soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

This is why I've always refuted claims that eircode is no good in an Road accident or non dwelling emergency. It's simply not the right solution to begin with. Far better ways of doing exist.

It's utter nonsense to see the anti eircode crowd using pictures of a chalk body outline on the ground in a field with "eircode can't find you here" as the tag line.

Mobile phones will soon text your exact location to emergency services when you dial 999
    http://jrnl.ie/3440742

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

ukoda wrote: »
    ... the anti eircode crowd ...
    Minor point, but you are talking about an individual there - not a crowd.

Just to return to the point made earlier about using OSI small area codes for property statistics. I'm sure that would be a useful thing to do, but it requires (direct or indirect) access to the Eircode database, which costs money etc etc and the fact that small area codes themselves are not publicly known identifiers limits their casual use.

You can publish a set of property stats by routing key, purely from information in the public domain (the property price register itself). And people can relate the stats to their own address, simply by checking their own Eircode. That is why routing keys will continue to be used for some statistics.

There's another amusing example of how the limited amount of public information in Eircodes finds unexpected uses, in this article in the Times
    Finally, though, I have come across the definitive argument that proves the system has been worth every cent of the €38m it cost. Using Eircode, you can find out whether a person or estate agent is trying to aggrandise their address. It’s useful if you live in Dublin. You can find out that the house on Grand Canal Street Lower isn’t in Dublin 4, it’s in Dublin 2, or expose the person with notions who turns their Dublin 11 Glasnevin address into Dublin 9. We all know them.
    Useful in Dublin, less so elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

plodder wrote: »
    Finally, though, I have come across the definitive argument that proves the system has been worth every cent of the €38m it cost. Using Eircode, you can find out whether a person or estate agent is trying to aggrandise their address. It’s useful if you live in Dublin. You can find out that the house on Grand Canal Street Lower isn’t in Dublin 4, it’s in Dublin 2, or expose the person with notions who turns their Dublin 11 Glasnevin address into Dublin 9. We all know them.

Useful in Dublin, less so elsewhere.

What is the difference anyway? Postal district snobbery, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

Eventhough this thread is old, I'm wondering if someone might be help with our holiday home issue. It's eircode has been 'Deactivated.'

We still pay property tax and use the property frequently.

Only found out about 'deactivation' in recent weeks when seeking competitive quotes for holiday home insurance. Most Insurers wont quote without 'active' eircode.

What should we do next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

They really should have taken the opportunity to turn Dublin 6W back into its originally intended D26 - 6W only came about because some had conniptions about Templeogue being in a seemingly logical sequence after Palmerstown, Clondalkin and Tallaght.

Advertisement