Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOUSEHOLD TRAVEL SURVEY , December and Annual 2015

Options
  • 22-01-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I received a form from the Central Statistics Office recently. The accompanying letter said my household had been randomly chosen.

"The survey seeks information on all domestic and foreign trips involving any overnight stay that any members of the household returned from.."

The survey request details of where we travelled to, what accommodation we booked, how we paid, how much we spent etc. etc. :eek:

I did not fill in the form.
    Today I received the survey again with a reminder to complete it.

Has anyone else here been "randomly" chosen for this survey?

More importantly, is one obliged to respond to these surveys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has anyone else here been "randomly"chosen for this survey?

Yes, but not recent. It is random. Its also anonymised - they're not looking for info to try catch someone cheating or something.
    More importantly, is one obliged to respond to these surveys?

Depends which part of the Statistics Act it has been presented under; but nearly always no.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

Thanks for your response L1011.

How can I ascertain which part of Statistics Act ?
    I can't see any reference to it on the letter or on the survey itself.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

I've also received (and filled in) one of these; L1011 is correct in saying they are anonymised and I've no issues with returning it.

The next time they mention "a report from the CSO" on the radio or TV you'll know you were part of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks for your response L1011.

How can I ascertain which part of Statistics Act ?
    I can't see any reference to it on the letter or on the survey itself.

I'd take a stab in the dark and say its not one with powers of compulsion then. Think its S24 that they normally work under but my memory is fairly rusty on this.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

The CSO Webpage only seems to refer to the relevant EU Regulation http://cso.ie/en/surveysandmethodology/tourismandtravel/householdtravelsurvey/

I'd say just calling them up will give the information you're looking for: http://www.cso.ie/en/contactus/customercomplaintsprocedure/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

Thanks Spocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I encourage you to reply with info to the CSO.

We need reliable stats, so we need the co-operation of people in CSO surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes I got the same one.Filled it in and sent back. I seem to get one every three years or so.

Advertisement