Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router/switch/NAS settings for home network, help needed

Options
  • 22-01-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of building a home network, but need some help in correctly setting up the components of this. It'll consist of the following:

1. Network cables (about 10) brought to a patch panel and 16-port switch. The sitting room and office will also each have a 5-port switch (multiple devices in each room, but only 1 cable per room).

2. A modem/router (Technicolor TC7200 from Virgin Media) to the outside world.

3. A NAS (Synology DS215j) for storage, backup and hopefully personal cloud services. This will hold personal information and has to be secure, even at the expense of access.

I'm now realising that I don't know nearly enough to setup the modem/router and NAS correctly and securely (the switches will probably be unmanaged). Can someone advise on this setup, or point me towards a good guide? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VM Kit is useless, bridge to a decent router for starters.

Cabling wise you're fine, personally I wouldnt expose anything on the WAN interface, too many exploits get found with bespoke webUIs like the kind you'd find on a synology NAS. Prefer to run a VPN within the network as a single point of entry. Arguably the most secure setup. Takes a little work to config though, a router running DDWRT is a decent way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

ED E wrote: »
    VM Kit is useless, bridge to a decent router for starters.

Cabling wise you're fine, personally I wouldnt expose anything on the WAN interface, too many exploits get found with bespoke webUIs like the kind you'd find on a synology NAS. Prefer to run a VPN within the network as a single point of entry. Arguably the most secure setup. Takes a little work to config though, a router running DDWRT is a decent way to do it.

Thanks, from what I read though the TC7200 is no longer bridgeable (or at least not reliably); VM have disabled the feature. Presumably then I'm stuck with their standard setup?

Understood on the WAN interface, but doing a router config, VPN setup etc. are way beyond my knowledge level. Any recommendation for a 'home networking for idiots' guide? I'd like something at Fisher Price level and go from there...

Advertisement