Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to wear for duathlon.

Options
  • 22-01-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

So this is probably a stupid question, anyway, I run a bit and cycle a bit and was thinking of doing the duathlon in Athy but don't know how to organise the clothes. I wear much more clothes cycling than running so do you wear the cycling layers for first 3k run or quickly drag them on after the run and off after the cycle. A friend thinks that your time stops when in the changeover area. I know I'm probably overthinking this and should just go and do it but I'd like to be a bit prepared. Any advice anyone.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

time doesn't stop until you finish the race, so if you take ages changing clothes in transition it all counts.

are you doing to complete or race? if you're going to be pushing on the bike, then the same attire for the run will likely be enough for the bike. if it's a really cold day, have a cycling jacket in transition, put on after first run, take off after cycle. that's about as much extra clothing as i'd be worrying about .each leg in most duathlons tend to be short so you won't have time to get too cold or hot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah cycling shorts/tri shorts and a cycling jersey should be fine for the whole race. Cycling jacket maybe in transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Great. Thank you for replies - just are people not freezing on the cycle at this time of year or maybe it's just cold blooded me.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Arm warmers are great, you can roll them up or down or take them off on the go depending on how warm or cold you are. Buffs handy for same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Shorts..A base layer and tri top is more than enough.oh and light gloves for first run /bike Most people wear too much and end up strawberry faced. I have made that mistake before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

following on from the clothes advice, what do people wear shoes wise. is there any point in switching to proper cycling shoes/cleats with the pedals or just stick with whatever runners you have and switch out the pedals.

I am signed up to do 2 of the 3 Athy races, have never done a Duathlon, just wondering whats the best option there.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

following on from the clothes advice, what do people wear shoes wise. is there any point in switching to proper cycling shoes/cleats with the pedals or just stick with whatever runners you have and switch out the pedals.

I am signed up to do 2 of the 3 Athy races, have never done a Duathlon, just wondering whats the best option there.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

my club will have a series of duathlons starting soon, i wear the bike shoes and switch to the runners, i see it as good practice for transitions for later in the year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

woody1 wrote:
    my club will have a series of duathlons starting soon, i wear the bike shoes and switch to the runners, i see it as good practice for transitions for later in the year..

Are you still being timed when you make the transition?

I'm planning to do my first duathlon later in the month and this thread is super helpful as I was also wondering what to wear :)

yeah generally the whole thing is timed, your not timed out for transition its part of the race, so you can make or lose time here..its probably faster to use runners and flat pedals for transitions, but you may lose time cycling in runners as compared to bike shoes,
    some races will give you a break down of your time, run 1 , t1 , bike, t2, run 2, some will just give you the overall.. ours is just a club race so its an overall time from start to finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Last season I used toe clips with runners and therefore had some of the fastest transition times. But then also I was more a push pedal cyclist rather than push and "scrap the crap off your shoe" cyclist so didn't fully benefit from wearing clip-ins. You cant really "scrap the crap off your shoe" with runners on flats/toe-clips. Also another negative for runners on the bike is that if its a wet day your feet are going to get soaked and runners fill up with water and therefore the second run leg feels like you are running with bricks. This season I'm using clip-ins as I have improved my pedal stroke.

Re clothing, I wear a tri suit and depending on the weather may add a short sleeve Skins/base top layer under the tri suit, arm warmers, gloves and hat. Its a sprint race, so you are going to warm up very fast. Once warm, can roll down the arm warmers and remove gloves and hat if needed. Remember your skin is water proof and too many wet layers will weight you down and feel restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Last season I used toe clips with runners and therefore had some of the fastest transition times. But then also I was more a push pedal cyclist rather than push and "scrape the crap off your shoe" cyclist so didn't fully benefit from wearing clip-ins. You cant really "scrape the crap off your shoe" with runners on flats/toe-clips. Also another negative for runners on the bike is that if its a wet day your feet are going to get soaked and runners fill up with water and therefore the second run leg feels like you are running with bricks. Also, very easy for wet runners to slip off the pedals...ouch. This season I'm using clip-ins for duathlons as I have improved my pedal stroke and therefore hopefully able to put out more power than with runners and flat pedals to make up more than the difference.

Re clothing, I wear a tri suit and depending on the weather may add a short sleeve Skins/base top layer under the tri suit, arm warmers, gloves and hat. Its a sprint race, so you are going to warm up very fast. Once warm, can roll down the arm warmers and remove gloves and hat if needed. Remember your skin is water proof and too many wet layers will weight you down and feel restrictive.

Really useful advice here thanks.The duathlon I'm doing is only a 14k cycle and two 4km runs. I think tri suit would be OK though I've never worn a tri suit before. I guess it's probably a good idea to break it in. Will I look mad going for a run in a tri suit though at this time of year?

Also, I know it's all subjective etc, but what would a relatively good time for a duathlon?

most people will be wearing tri suit or some version of it, stick a base layer top under it for a bit more warmth..times are very subjective..depends on the person and the course..

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm back with what is probably another stupid question!

I've decided I'm going to use trainers for the run and then cleats for the cycle. I'm just wondering where do people put their trainers to stick them back on after the cycle? Do you always come back to the same transition area so can you just leave them there, or do you stick them on your bike somewhere? I'm doing my first duathlon next weekend in Limerick and trying to figure out how this all works!

panda100 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm back with what is probably another stupid question!

I've decided I'm going to use trainers for the run and then cleats for the cycle. I'm just wondering where do people put their trainers to stick them back on after the cycle? Do you always come back to the same transition area so can you just leave them there, or do you stick them on your bike somewhere? I'm doing my first duathlon next weekend in Limerick and trying to figure out how this all works!

limerick has the same t1 and t2. so you run, get back to your bike, go cycle, then come back and rack your bike in the same spot. so leave your shoes where you take your bike and come back to that spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

spned a few minutes before the race to visulize exactly where your bike is ( for instance the 5th bike in the 2nd row )
    you will be suprised how stupid you can get in a race ;-)
    many people cant find their bikes.
    also make sure you put on your helmet befor your touch your bike after the first run !!!!!!
    dont be afraid to ask people that look like they know what they are doing before the race ( because at some stage they leanred it from somebody too)

actually, looks like i might be doing limerick as well. if you've any questions come find me and i'll help you out, i'll be the on there with the cannondale slice tri bike, tend to be the only one at races with one so should be easy to spot. I'll also probably be shivering and looking miserable if any previous duathlons are anything to go by

mossym wrote:
    actually, looks like i might be doing limerick as well. if you've any questions come find me and i'll help you out, i'll be the on there with the cannondale slice tri bike, tend to be the only one at races with one so should be easy to spot. I'll also probably be shivering and looking miserable if any previous duathlons are anything to go by

I'll keep an eye out for you :) really appreciate the advice guys. I can probably bring a jacket so to throw on for the cycle and just leave with my bike. I'm really excited ( and nervous!) about the race as have never done anything like this before!

Am so dissapointed. After all my hard training for the duathlon and really looking forward to it, I got hit with an awful strep throat on Tuesday. At home from work and on antibiotics now so duathlon will not be happening for me on Sunday :( does anyone know of any other duathlons coming up around the Limerick area? Maybe kerry or clare?

• Advertisement

Advertisement