Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What advice do you wish you were given as a NQT?

• 22-01-2016 7:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering as an NQT myself, what advice do you wish were given, or what you found useful when starting out.

My situation is I've just qualified to teach in the adult sector after retraining as a mature student.
    Typically I've found great advice from colleagues so far, but it's hard to know what you need to know when you don't know what you need to know!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just wondering as an NQT myself, what advice do you wish were given, or what you found useful when starting out.

My situation is I've just qualified to teach in the adult sector after retraining as a mature student.
    Typically I've found great advice from colleagues so far, but it's hard to know what you need to know when you don't know what you need to know!!!!

Hi

Congratulations on your new career. My advice is:

Dont spend all your evenings and weekends on prep..prioritise time for yourself at least once a week. Otherwise you'll burn out and will lose contact with friends.

Be very careful not to personalise any comments...Be diplomatic in your language.

Expect to be teaching experts on everything. Don't let it intimidate you. There not.

Don't say yes to everything...you'll burn out.

Adult learners can have a lot going on in the background. Don't get overly involved and keep a professional distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

I wish someone had told me it's ok to not know what you're doing! Don't be afraid to ask a hundred questions a day if that's what you need, every fantastic experienced teacher was once an NQT just like you.

Advertisement