Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When pay day falls on a weekend

Options
  • 22-01-2016 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on the subject. So if your contract states you get paid on the 28th of each month for example but if that day falls on a Sunday what are you legal rights? Are the company obliged to pay you the Friday or at least ensure the money appears in your account on the Sunday? I know a lot of places will pay on the Friday but I'm looking for what the legal line is on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

it's usually documented in that clause of your contract e.g. "where the paydate falls on a weekend, payment will be made on the previous working day" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

jrar wrote: »
    it's usually documented in that clause of your contract e.g. "where the paydate falls on a weekend, payment will be made on the previous working day" etc.

Thanks for that. I'm with the company 8 years and never physically got a contract. Most people in the same boat. They always paid us on the Friday if pay date fell on Saturday or a Sunday but now they are changing that to the next business day. We are paid from the UK and they claim it can't be done in the UK, but I know of friends who get paid at the weekend should pay day fall like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

All banks within the EU use the same SEPA system. Anyone within the EU can take your BIC & IBAN and make a payment to you and it should only take a couple of working days max.

If you have a verbal contract and you are used to and it is general knowledge that pay day is the 28th, then that is your pay date. If the date falls on a weekend or a bank holiday you should be paid the day before and the fact that you have been paid this way before goes to show it - for proof all you would need are a few bank statements.

Depending on when the transfer is made, it can sometimes hit an account late on a Friday night/early Saturday morning.

I think that because they know this, they are trying to cover their arse because they can't be bothered checking the calendar and doing the payroll run a day early when they know pay day falls on a weekend date.

Advertisement