Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was there ever a time when you had to be born or live in a country to play for a coun

• 22-01-2016 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

So Kevin Kilbane turned down a cap for England Schoolboys because he considered himself Irish...but when would FIFA not have considered him Irish?

Not asking about Kilbane particularly but more using him as an example to understand the development of the rules of qualifying as an international.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty sure it was even more relaxed years ago. Alfredo di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain in the 40's and 50's. No idea if things were more strict years before that though, but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was even more relaxed years ago. Alfredo di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain in the 40's and 50's. No idea if things were more strict years before that though, but I doubt it.

Di stefano's case was different. More about residency and the reality that it was hard to play club football in Europe & international in South America.

I think parentage rules came in later. It was always said jack Charlton made great use out of it. I think the rules were a recent development at that time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My rule would be you can play for any country you played Schoolboy football in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Di stefano's case was different. More about residency and the reality that it was hard to play club football in Europe & international in South America.

I think parentage rules came in later. It was always said jack Charlton made great use out of it. I think the rules were a recent development at that time .

Parentage rules?

You're mixing up irish citizenship qualifications with FIFA regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dreamers75 wrote: »
    My rule would be you can play for any country you played Schoolboy football in.

But you don't have a choice of what country you live in when you're growing up? That rule, to take an obvious example, would exclude Didier Drogba from every playing for Ivory Coast and winning the African player of the year twice as he never played schoolboy football there.

Instead his only option would have been to represent France - a country he's not from, because that's where he played.

How do you regulate the schoolboy leagues from every country to prove a player has made an appearance there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

ush wrote: »
    Parentage rules?

You're mixing up irish citizenship qualifications with FIFA regulations.

Ok, People qualify for international football through a grandparent. Is that through FIFA rules or Irish law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ok, People qualify for international football through a grandparent. Is that through FIFA rules or Irish law?

That's a FIFA rule I believe.

Not sure what the criteria for Irish citizenship is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

All that is required to play for a country is to be a citizen of that country, however you get it. You can get it through grandparents or parents being from that country, being born in that country, or establishing citizenship through long term residency.

If you can get a passport for a country, you can play for that country - provided you haven't played at senior level for another country.

The only part FIFA or football in general plays in what country you're eligible for is that last bit, stopping you representing more than one senior team - which IMO is the only fair way to have it. You can represent a country you're a citizen of. It's really nice and simple, I don't know why anyone would ever want to change it to be honest.

Advertisement