Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

waterproof bottoms

• 22-01-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

hi,

i use my vespa for a 15mile each way commute along the uk coast, i have tried about 5 pairs of waterproof trousers and they all leak in one way or another! i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions so i can be dry arriving at work i would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

ene wrote: »
    hi,

i use my vespa for a 15mile each way commute along the uk coast, i have tried about 5 pairs of waterproof trousers and they all leak in one way or another! i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions so i can be dry arriving at work i would really appreciate it!

I bought a pair of Berghaus overtrousers from 53 Degrees North in Blanchardstown over 3 winters ago. They still haven't leaked yet. They cost about 70 euro, expensive yes, but they perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Flexothane is the best waterproof material for bikes IMHO

http://www.nugentsafety.ie/product/flexothane-rain-trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mesrine65 wrote: »

More or less what I use.

I've RST, Lewis and whatever sh*t work provides me with and they all leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just use a lined (stops the sweats) set of richa over my leathers/trousers works 100%....only €15 so even if they only last a year its grand but I have them ages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

oil skins are the only true waterproof material. PU or PVC outer layer. These are what fishermen use for splashback etc. Check out deal on helly hansen on sportsdirect.com -pants £6 jacket £12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I've been using the Aldi waterproof walking trousers for years now and haven't let me down yet. Around 2007/8 I was wearing their all in one waterproofs through awful rainfall from Ballinasloe to Dublin, M50 flooded & everything, was desperate, the only place the water got in was when I went into a flood too deep & had to walk the bike out of it, otherwise dry as a bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

does anyone have the link to good trousers on a uk site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cheap waterproof overtrousers from army surplus/camping shop does me, last a couple of years of daily (well, any day it's raining) use for €10. Need a very large size to go over leathers.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I noticed this by accident, I am not a biker but I have worked outdoors for years.

Flexothane are good but the quality has really gone down. The best I have found are Dickies Raintite. They are the same material as Flexothane but are really well made & totally waterproof. They are also comfortable, don't make you sweat & have adjustable ankles.

They are widely available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dickies-Raintite-Trousers-Green-Small/dp/B0052K03PA

By the way these are sized to go over your clothing & boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Brilliant, I will order them now as not very expensive. I also work outdoors so find it so miserable when I arrive at wall right already wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I walked my dogs for 2 hours along the Galway shore in horizontal rain & stayed totally dry. I am going to get the jacket as I am so impressed with the trousers. Because they are workwear rather than walking wear they seem pretty tough.

By the way keep the plastic zip bag that they come in. It's handy if the rain stops & you need to pack wet trousers till you get home.

Advertisement