Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lovely songs - Irish mammies' favourites

• 22-01-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Was watching an old TOTP, and Mary MacGregor's "Torn Between Two Lovers" reminded me of that genre of songs beloved by Irish mammies.
    My gran's favourite song was "One Day At A Time", which she insisted on singing all the time in her dying days, in the middle of conversations. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I remember my mother used to often sing "She Moved Through The Fair".
    That,as well as anything by Elvis Presley,Patsy Clyne,Gladys Knight....

I know the thread title is directed at Irish mammies,but I gotta mention one that me oul fella used to sing "There was an old woman who lived in the woods....",and it used to terrify us.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I gotta mention one that me oul fella used to sing "There was an old woman who lived in the woods....",and it used to terrify us.
    Weelia weelia, wallia?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A Mother's Love is a Blessing
    Silver Threads Among the Gold
    Scarlet Ribbons
    Danny Boy
    Amazing Grace
    Rose Of Tralee/Mooncoin/Avondale

Grace
    Boolavogue
    Kelly the Boy from Killane
    The Minstrel Boy
    Que SeraSera
    That's Amore
    Welcome To My World
    The Isle of Innisfree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

my mother used to always sing a johnny mcevoy song 'I once said I loved only you Maggie (or nora)! that was it she never want past that line!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Anything by Johnny Mathis.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bunch of Thyme by Foster and Allen. For years it was my mother's party piece, and probably the closest I ever came to matricide when having to endure it yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Goodnight Irene
    Tears on the Telephone
    Ruby, don't take your love to town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Feckin terrible song when your 10!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anything by Clifford T. Ward, Simon & Garfunkel, Charlie Landsborough or Johnny Duhan. If I never have to hear "My Forever Friend" or "What Colour Is The Wind" EVER again I'll be happy, although the first two artists are perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus.

Or "Any nice songs where the singer sings clearly so you can understand what they are saying" apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

-I am the Boston Burglar and no-one can deny
    -Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye
    -And nobody knows I am crying cos I'm walking the streets in the rain
    -In the valley of Slieve Na Mon
    -If you don't happen to like me, pass me by
    -Come down the mountain, Katy Daly, come down the mountain Katie do

My mother used to sing these when we were children - she only used to sing the one line in every song...!

Weelia weelia, wallia?

Yes....
    "...down by the River Sáile".

I used to hate it...the ould wan in that song was an evil witch with a capital B

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Yes....
    "...down by the River Sáile".

I used to hate it...the ould wan in that song was an evil witch with a capital B

Very interesting wikipedia on it, we sang this when little, only now realising how creepy it was!! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_Saile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...part of my work is involves playing and singing for people of an advanced age.

Keep the suggestions coming because my own tastes would differ from what my audience needs.

I would be a seventies child into SKA, reggae, rock etc which would not go down too well with the target audience.

I find Elton John, Queen and Rod Stewart goes down unexpectedly well but mostly Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves also suit the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

doolox wrote: »
    ...part of my work is involves playing and singing for people of an advanced age.

Keep the suggestions coming because my own tastes would differ from what my audience needs.

I would be a seventies child into SKA, reggae, rock etc which would not go down too well with the target audience.

I find Elton John, Queen and Rod Stewart goes down unexpectedly well but mostly Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves also suit the scene.

You need this

and this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭George White

Mech1 wrote: »

Feckin terrible song when your 10!

Oh god, a surprise UK No 1 (surprisingly only No 9 in Ireland) which I think had minor shockwaves on the internet when TOTP 76 was repeated.
    Billy Connolly did a pretty good spoof. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2B4UQDJqs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Anything by John Denver or Don Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pal of my Cradle days.
    A lot of older folk sing this at sing songs.
    Terrible, maudlin stuff that makes me want to go outside the pub and have a fag, and I don't smoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Anything by Johnny Mc Evoy.
    Funny this should come up since my mother passed away over Christmas this year.
    Val Doonican was another favourite.
    We had some of those old "Glenside" 45's. Joe Lynch singing "The Whistling Gyspy" for example.
    I also notice a Larry Cunningham record "Among the Wicklow Hills" .On the record label it says produced by Noel Kelehan. Who arrranged the string sections on The Joshua Tree. From Larry Cunningham to Larry Mullen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

doolox wrote: »

Keep the suggestions coming ...
    Many older people are compelled to dance by Ricky Nelson's "Hello Mary Lou".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMt9SHRwsM

You could create a scene like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjslsQRRgA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I know the thread title is directed at Irish mammies,but I gotta mention one that me oul fella used to sing "There was an old woman who lived in the woods....",and it used to terrify us.

I sing this to my 3 and a half year old. She does the "weile weile waile" part. She's intrigued by the story but also did ask once if the woman was bad.

Someone else mentioned "Ruby, don't take your love to town", I sing this to my husband if I'm going on a night out. He knows I wouldn't eh take my love to town but it annoys him because he thinks that I think that it annoys him which in turn annoys him :)

My mam used to listen to Elvis, Patsy Cline, Tammy, Dolly, Kenny Rodgers, Kris Kristopherson, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, The Dubliners and Bob Dylan. I listen to them all too.

Oh and her beloved Joe Dolan. Ah I don't mind his songs in a guilty pleasure kind of way :)

Has "Spancil Hill" already been mentioned?
    Apologies if it has-but it was played on my local radio station this morning and I instantly remembered my mother singing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Zaph wrote: »
    Bunch of Thyme by Foster and Allen. For years it was my mother's party piece, and probably the closest I ever came to matricide when having to endure it yet again.

Same story in our house, thankfully without the singing!

Every time it's played on the radio my mother says "that's the one that made them!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Weelia weelia, wallia?

Ah, the old infanticide lullaby...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Skid X wrote: »
    Or "Any nice songs where the singer sings clearly so you can understand what they are saying" apparently.

If it wasn't for the song you had I was getting worried we were siblings.

My mother still moans about singers "not singing clearly" despite some of the bands she liked from her youth being pretty bad at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Skid X wrote: »

One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus.

This post made me laugh out loud because it's exactly what my mam says. Whitney Houston has always been loved in our house because "you can hear and understand every word she sings". Also loved are "One Day At A Time" and "Amazing Grace" for the same reasons. Then there's "Unchained Melody" and "Four Roads To Glenamaddy" and absolutely anything by Joe Dolan. "Do You Want Your Auld Lobby Washed Down" is another big favourite. I think everyone's dad sang "There Was An Old Woman" too:)

Advertisement