Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo's Oldest Ever Person - Not!

Options
  • 22-01-2016 11:18pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this claim in the Mayo News just now... Not the case!

If the reporter did a little bit of research he would find:

From the Anglo Celt newspaper of Sept 1917:

"At the age of 114 years Mr Thomas Kelly, of Ballinaniona, Kilmaine, passed away on Sunday. Born in 1807, ,and engaged in-farming, he" lived to his old age a life of comfort, peaoe; and happiness: Ho was a fluent Irish speaker, attended Daniel _O'Connell's monster meetings, and of the sad, dark days of '47 and the sufferings of -the- Irish people .lie would talk to awe-stricken1 listeners. His one wish a few weeks ago was to see Ireland's bright'dream realised and her independence granted. "

Could someone pass that along to the reporter as I don't see any contact details for him.

(Thomas Kelly, was also my great great grandfather)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

1917-1807 = 110 years old

Where did the 114 years come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

1917-1807 = 110 years old

Where did the 114 years come from?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Very true, but it is still not 109, is it??? And there may well be more....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

The journalist's contact details are included here (Anton McNulty).

http://www.mayonews.ie/contact-us

But you've got me interested on another point too from your quoted Anglo-Celt article - do you know the whereabouts of the townland of Ballinaniona - I've never heard of it before? I'm interested as I'm from the general locality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

tom_k wrote: »
    The journalist's contact details are included here (Anton McNulty).

http://www.mayonews.ie/contact-us

But you've got me interested on another point too from your quoted Anglo-Celt article - do you know the whereabouts of the townland of Ballinaniona - I've never heard of it before? I'm interested as I'm from the general locality.

It is a town land outside kilmaine on the road to Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement