Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Sligo - Not UPC

Options
  • 23-01-2016 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at recommendations for broadband in Sligo. I am thinking Digiweb or Sky broadband.

Anyone got any feedback on typical speeds etc... I am in an area close to the exchange so I should get good broadband.

Thinking of leaving UPC they have a crap call centre and I would prefer to give my money to a company employing staff in Ireland.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do you realise that Virgin Media has the best broadband by a long country mile. All other providers, except Eir, are reselling Eir's version of fibre. The max profile you will be given is 90/20. All of them will tell you that you can get up to 100mbps download rate, but they will set the max at 90 if you are lucky. Eir themselves will set the max at 50mbps. Unless your area is actually fibre cabled to the home you are far better off where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

^^^

What he said. Their tv is a bit crap by comparison to sky, but their broadband more than makes up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks,

I will try to get their TV service cancelled. Very hard to get my point accross with their agents.

Looks like I am as well to try to keep the BB and phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

dingding wrote: »
    Thanks,

I will try to get their TV service cancelled. Very hard to get my point accross with their agents.

Looks like I am as well to try to keep the BB and phone.

Would you consider Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have it already :)

Sky box sets also looks good, another reason to upgrade.

• Advertisement

Get onto the live chat on their site, makes things easier when speaking to foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jordi1910

I was in similar situation almost a year ago when I moved to Sligo. As there was no UPC in the place I moved to (Aylesbury Park) which I had for last 10years in Dublin I started to looking for alternative. Unfortunately or fortunately it was possible to get eircom fibre there. Because of high cost of eircom I decided to get Pure Telekom (they using eir infrastructure same same as Vodafone etc) and in that time they been only one who offered broadband only for 36 quid a month without data usage limit (a few weeks after Vodafone did the similar offer). Anyway I'm quite happy, connection is stable. Before I signed for 18 months they informed me the max I can get in this house is 60 download and 25 upload. Finally I stucked with 59/25 which is still acceptable. It's the strange thing that in the same neighbourhood speed can vary much. For example the neighbour on opposite can get up to 90 but the one few houses on the left from me max 25Mbps so it's always good to check what actually speed can you get before they proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Eir sucks going by the 2 or so months we've been with then!

BB has been decent enough when working but far too often stops on occasions which has been a pain in the ass for work/downloading.
    When watching the TV it too freezes quite alot, this is apparent when watching shows/movies that has been recorded often making then unwatchable.

Their customer service is, going by our experience, pretty poor and generally unavailable when later in the day/evenings when they say they do provide support.
    Their TV box is unreliable too, ours have given up the ghost after 2 months leaving us with no TV.

Advertisement