Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

mickdw wrote: »
    So do you guys who are owners charge every night at home?
    What does the cost per month on the esb bill work out at in total?
    I was looking into this and it seems there is additional standing charge also to get a night meter in.

Charges will obviously vary between providers, but as a rough rule the extra standing charge for the night / day meter is about €50 per year. Day rates are also a bit more than standard rates (can't remember exactly, about 10% IIRC), but of course the night rate is half this. Night rate runs midnight - 9am at the moment, but 11pm - 8am in winter - which likely also covers morning showers (if electric), breakfast, etc. I have a Leaf and since we moved to a night meter, and set washing machine and dishwasher to run overnight, our electricity bills have actually gone down (that's with approximately 1 full car charge per week - I do most of mine at work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The last time I checked you needed about 3 units on night rate every night to break even. An EV, even an PHEV will easily do this on its own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Charges will obviously vary between providers, but as a rough rule the extra standing charge for the night / day meter is about €50 per year. Day rates are also a bit more than standard rates (can't remember exactly, about 10% IIRC), but of course the night rate is half this. Night rate runs midnight - 9am at the moment, but 11pm - 8am in winter - which likely also covers morning showers (if electric), breakfast, etc. I have a Leaf and since we moved to a night meter, and set washing machine and dishwasher to run overnight, our electricity bills have actually gone down (that's with approximately 1 full car charge per week - I do most of mine at work).

Thanks. Would be interested to see how much a 330e charged nightly costs.
    I think I worked it out before at 70c per day or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

MaceFace wrote: »
    If that was about 7 am or so, it was probably me.

It was around that time alright.

I couldn't tell it was a 330e until it went by me in the inside lane to take the dundrum slip. Main thing I noticed was the colour and the daytime running lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very close to pulling the trigger on one.... M-Sport Pro/Blue/Black Leather. I've established that cars gone into production from sometime in August will have the latest iDrive Nav System Pro v5 (assuming you order it!) - as in the interface from the new 7 Series (tho' not touch). Of note, Apple CarPlay is now an option(e300) too - had this confirmed by BMW Ireland. I'm getting conflicting info tho'.... I was told you also need the Enhanced Bluetooth/WLAN option - another e600 making it an expensive proposition. Anyone got anything more solid on this?

This lad has 2017 BMW NBT EVO ID 6 which will be available on the new 5 Series next year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057647884

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Had my car detailed few weeks ago by one of the guys who posts in Detailing subforum, James Downes. He does a super job I think.

http://imgur.com/a/Ut52a

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Looks the business. Best color and those performance plus brakes are a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Had my car detailed few weeks ago by one of the guys who posts in Detailing subforum, James Downes. He does a super job I think.

I've settled on blue.... I think! I mean, I flip-flopped between blue and grey a few times in my head... Seeing photos like that don't help!

Looks awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

That looks the business. Do u mind me asking where you got the all black grille?

• Advertisement

The grille is the BMW M performance black grille. It's supplied by BMW and I got the dealer to fit it as part of my deal. I think it looks a lot better on the m sport model than the standard chrome grille. I had an Estoril blue 3 series before and had one on that and it looks great with that colour too. It came in at 125 euro.

Re Apple car play, you do need enhanced Bluetooth which makes it almost a grand all in. I would spec pro media for that grand instead unless you want it as well but can't see the benefit myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The grille is the BMW M performance black grille. It's supplied by BMW and I got the dealer to fit it as part of my deal. I think it looks a lot better on the m sport model than the standard chrome grille. I had an Estoril blue 3 series before and had one on that and it looks great with that colour too. It came in at 125 euro.

Re Apple car play, you do need enhanced Bluetooth which makes it almost a grand all in. I would spec pro media for that grand instead unless you want it as well but can't see the benefit myself.

A grill from eBay and from the dealer both work out at the same price when you add in post for eBay. Someone mentioned they were €100 from BMW and the set I got last week set me back about €90 with postage.

Good to know, I didn't know it was a dealer option. I was gonna do the eBay route but I'll get it from them as there won't be much in price difference.

Dealer will fit it too which is handy as I believe it can be fiddly enough for an amateur like me.

I wouldn't actually mind replacing the chrome exhaust tips with black ones too as this is the only bit of chrome left on the car now. May do this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Keggers74

Have any of you guys had the free ESB home charge point installed, and got a photo of what it looks like you could post up?

I pick up my 330e next Monday and the ESB have contacted me about installing the charge point. Trying to work out where on the house/garage to get it installed, but will be dependent on how large/ugly it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Keggers74 wrote: »
    Have any of you guys had the free ESB home charge point installed, and got a photo of what it looks like you could post up?

I pick up my 330e next Monday and the ESB have contacted me about installing the charge point. Trying to work out where on the house/garage to get it installed, but will be dependent on how large/ugly it is!

Most likely an Abl unit
    5909-8aa91ae92b95a82650fae2e48371c665.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Keggers74

Thanks for that. That looks fine and won't cause a problem for me. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Is the 330e still off the configurator on the BMW Ireland site? Can't seem to find it?

When on the model choice, it's not under 3 series. Scroll to the bottom for all the i vehicles.

Its definitely there, I speced one up yesterday on it that came to €58k before I had to stop.

I hope that was before you deduct the 7.5k vrt/ SEAI reduction!

• Advertisement

Yep, BMW calculator price only. M Sport with the M Sport Plus Professional pack and a few other modest extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bazz26 wrote: »
    Its definitely there, I speced one up yesterday on it that came to €58k before I had to stop.

It's under 3 Series iPerformance saloon.

Are BMW dealers giving much more discount on top of the Seai reduction.? If you were to buy straight I wonder what they would give you if you are also further speccing up the car. Going by the UK forums they get great deals of the UK prices. Seems easy enough to get 15-20% of the RRP.

The U.K. Seems to be the only market where discounts of that order are available. They are more with the bigger engine variants. Apparently they are not available on the 330e over there as there are such big waiting lists for it.
    Here I would think 2/2500 should be achieveable for a straight deal but don't know for sure. Now that new car sales are on the up dealers may be less forthcoming with discounts.

bazz26 wrote: »

Found it. Had to stop myself also....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GavMan wrote: »
    Found it. Had to stop myself also....:(

Were you overwhelmed by the performance or the pure looks?

grogi wrote: »
    Were you overwhelmed by the performance or the pure looks?

Started to lose the run of myself with the options. Heated steering wheel...so unnecessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Just as an aside, my OH's commute daily is about 18km (varies). I refueled on the 3rd of September after driving Cork-Donegal-Cork (70 mpg! with "spirited" driving) and the tank today is just under half full with one extra unusually long trip. I've refueled my Fiesta ST twice in the same time period :( Its such a nice place to be and the drive really brings a smile to your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yeh i found €58-60k before discount to be the sweet spot spec-wise for me.

You guys probably don't want to say publically, but any of you wangle a % discount on the list, after the grant deductions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Yeh i found €58-60k before discount to be the sweet spot spec-wise for me.

You guys probably don't want to say publically, but any of you wangle a % discount on the list, after the grant deductions?

I told my dealer I expected a 5% discount off the after grant reduced price or I was going elsewhere. If I received I would sign papers on the spot. Got the discount, well - 4.8%.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    I told my dealer I expected a 5% discount off the after grant reduced price or I was going elsewhere. If I received I would sign papers on the spot. Got the discount, well - 4.8%.

Something similar, after a lot of negotiating I managed 5.25% but couldn't get any more. When I kept haggling/annoying them they threw in the "starter pack". I dunno what that consists of but I know it's not much but it was to do the deal there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

GavMan wrote: »
    Started to lose the run of myself with the options. Heated steering wheel...so unnecessary

I thought the same until I got a heated steering wheel with my current car (not a BMW) - OMG it's bloody fantastic! Near the top of my option list in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Thanks for all the info on here folks.

Quick question on Msport for those of you who have gone that route.. How do you find the suspension on the 18/19inch rims on our fabulous roads (!) much as I'd hate to do it, is there merit in removing the msport suspension from the list?

I thought the same until I got a heated steering wheel with my current car (not a BMW) - OMG it's bloody fantastic! Near the top of my option list in future.

Ya my father has it on new passat and together with seat heating, it's pretty good on a cold morning.

I have 19" wheels on m sport suspension and have no complaints with the ride.
    I was concerned also but find the ride compliant enough but firm enough too for what is a relatively sporting car. It's leagues ahead of BMW's of old that were rock hard. I think run flat technology has come on a lot in the last few years. I'm sure there is a 3 series m sport you could test drive before you decide, but unless you want a really soft set up I would have no reservations.

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info on here folks.

Quick question on Msport for those of you who have gone that route.. How do you find the suspension on the 18/19inch rims on our fabulous roads (!) much as I'd hate to do it, is there merit in removing the msport suspension from the list?
    I've got 19" run flats on mine with the adaptive suspension and don't have any complaints about it at all to be honest. When buying my 328i a lot of the forums I read at the time advised to get the adaptive suspension and variable sport steering. I've not driven a BMW for any long period of time without it so I have never had a good comparison but certainly I have no complaints.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/adaptive_drive.html

Adaptive suspension isn't available on the 330e. I think batteries weight or size prevent it. The face lift 3 series has revised suspension anyway and rides better than original f30.

I was also a little concerned before buying and went for the 18" on sports suspension rather than 19". At the time I heard about some people not liking the stiffness with the larger wheels.

It was only after maybe 2500 miles that I started to really notice the stiffness. I don't know why it didn't really cross my mind before, maybe it was such a different overall package with lots contributing to the drive. Anyway, today, after spending a bit of time thinking about it as I drive and concentrating on the nuances, I really like it, but it does come at some cost.

On Motorway driving, changing lanes, it reminds me of go-karts. No real shifting in weight. I like it.
    On background (done the Burren as well as more typical back-roads), yeah, it is hard, but not overly so. What I would say is you will feel it, but that doesn't mean in a bad way. Yeah, you will know you went over a bump or pothole, but that doesn't really transfer to an uncomfortable feeling, just a recognition it was there.
    Well, that's what I think when I am driving, but but but, I am questioning if this is leading to more stiffness in my lower back. I certainly don't feel it in the drive or straight after, but I do feel a certain stiffness later on. That could be ride position, either due to my position or the seats.

On reflection though, knowing what I know now, I would have gone for the 19" and MSport suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had an msport e60 and an e92 coupe and found that after journeys I'd be a bit stiff in my lower back. In a F10 se now and it's amazing the difference a few mm's makes. No problems at all. I love M sports but prefer my back to be 100% :) although I think now you can get the msport without the msport suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Half decent spec and colour combination on this one, you could probably bag it for €44,000.

no-photo.gif

I have an F10 M Sport on 19" rims with run flats and comfort is fine on it, not sure if the first owner went with the M Sport suspension or not though. My last F10 before this one was a SE on 18" rims and it just floated over the road, real arm chair comfort. Had an E90 M Sport before too on 18" rims and it was fairly firm, replacing the RFTs with standard tyres helped alot but RFTs these days are much better and more comfortable.

http://www.bmwvin.com

Stick your vin in there and it may show if you have sports suspension or sports suspension delete. That's if you care

I could probably google this but may ask in here. What's the story with the cold morning and the car warming up? How does it heat the cabin, is it an electric heater of some sort? Does it work well?
    Thanks

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I could probably google this but may ask in here. What's the story with the cold morning and the car warming up? How does it heat the cabin, is it an electric heater of some sort? Does it work well?
    Thanks

You can set a departure time for the morning and ask for the car to be preconditioned. It will use electric power to heat the car. So, good idea to leave it plugged in over night so it can replenish as it is used.

This morning when I used it, it was nice and warm. Clear front window. Back window still wet. It works fine. Interesting when the frosty weather comes in to see how it works.

In theory then, even forgetting about the timer aspect of it where your car is warm before you get it, it should work better as it doesn't need to wait for the car to warm up.

• Advertisement

This feature is great actually in the morning.
    I don't pre programme it as depending on the cooperation we receive from kids in the morning my departure time changes. I use the button in the key fob to do it or the BMW connected app.
    The app is great also for sat nav destinations.

That is a feature worth its weight in gold. Life changing for some id say. Nothing worse than being in a hurry and having to deal with a frozen car every morning. No more cold cabin either. Fantastic.
    A feature in nissan leaf too I believe.

Life changing? Not really but nice to have but if it was on the options list I wouldn't pay for it. Bit like heated steering wheel or seats I suppose.
    Actually there is rarely a need for these when the cabin is already warm.

This feature is great actually in the morning.
    I don't pre programme it as depending on the cooperation we receive from kids in the morning my departure time changes. I use the button in the key fob to do it or the BMW connected app.
    The app is great also for sat nav destinations.

What is this button on the key fob? I can have the aircon come on in my car but I don't know of a way to set the temperature or clear the windscreen. Is this only a feature on the e models or is it available on all once you have connected drive?

I also make good use out of the remote app, nice to know your car is where it is meant to be at times and also sending the directions from your phone before you depart is fantastic.

It's a feature of the e models only.
    Pre heats the cabin.
    Button under the boot release one on the key fob.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement