Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think the grille was about 100 euro alright but no harm in trying getting them to throw it into the deal if possible. Love the black grille myself on an m sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

sligo_dave wrote: »
    I didn't clarify, I think he mentioned around €100 odd but could have been more. Have you it long ordered? The countdown to January is becoming harder ever week. Getting updates now that it's due to be built this Monday and expected in dealers 2 weeks later (hopefully anyway)

Yeah Santy coming late for us this year! Have ordered it just over a month now. Was told mid to late Jan delivery as the factory is shutting production for 3 weeks round about now. Haven't been in contact with them since though, when I last left it they were trying to secure an early slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Yeah Santy coming late for us this year! Have ordered it just over a month now. Was told mid to late Jan delivery as the factory is shutting production for 3 weeks round about now. Haven't been in contact with them since though, when I last left it they were trying to secure an early slot.

I hope they have mine shipped before they close up!! I've ordered since September 19th and have since sold my own car so I'm a borrowed car at the minute. The anticipation is getting childlike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Btw Dave, when you say the black grille do you mean just changing the surround (that's chrome) with gloss black that matches the grille or is it a brand new full grille. Is it Matt in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Btw Dave, when you say the black grille do you mean just changing the surround (that's chrome) with gloss black that matches the grille or is it a brand new full grille. Is it Matt in that case?

If it's the same as my old e90 it's a full grill replacement, don't think the chrome surround separates from the centre. I think they are gloss, could be wrong. I hope it's gloss anyway. Matt is fine but I feel it looks like it's almost faded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Probably unrelated but M&G have knocked €20,000 off the list price of their 161 520d M-Sports as per Facebook today. So €45,000 for a year old one, a lot of dealers were looking for that for a 2 year old one recently. I wonder is the 330e doing anything to sales, particularly with the new model coming, not to mention the 530e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the weak Sterling is starting to impact used prices of these cars here, that and the imminent arrival of the G30. I bought a 2 year old F10 back in March, I'd say I'd cry at it's trade-in value now.

Actually just looking there at the M&G 161 520d M Sport for 45k and it is a UK car so they are obviously taking advantage of the weak sterling too.

Not sure the soon to be old model could get me to part with the 635 but some of those 161's are very fresh. I love that split rim wheel on some of them too!

These 19":
    media?xwm=y&id=b8be8c10-e932-4bf8-9a4c-e1e3fe2b5778&width=400&height=300

or the 20":
    media?xwm=y&id=df540d19-e0ff-413d-bd76-93aea609fb13&width=400&height=300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's mad how big wheels are getting across the ranges. The S90 has a factory 22" option, they look the absolute business. And gone are the days where the low profile makes the ride unbearable, suspension systems are very well dampened to compensate.

I can't imagine 330e is affecting sales of 5 series too much.
    I think it's still very much a niche car.
    Sterling is having some affect on car values definitely and it will be interesting to see how or if BMW react to merc dropping prices by 10% which I think is a mad move from a premium marque. Instantly erodes used values pissing off recent customers.

You're right there, you'd be fairly pissed off having just bought a Merc and you have to factor that 10% across used prices of all Mercs really.
    The 20's Bazz, they look lovely. Had the 19's on my F10, like them too. The only pain is when the tyres need to be done. Best I can get for a Bridgestone RFT 19" is 280 cost price, don't want to guess at the cost of the 20's.

MarkN wrote: »
    You're right there, you'd be fairly pissed off having just bought a Merc and you have to factor that 10% across used prices of all Mercs really.
    The 20's Bazz, they look lovely. Had the 19's on my F10, like them too. The only pain is when the tyres need to be done. Best I can get for a Bridgestone RFT 19" is 280 cost price, don't want to guess at the cost of the 20's.

Yeah the 20" are nice but just a bridge too far for me and the roads I travel. Have the 19" on my F10 too and I wouldn't go any bigger, even they offer nothing extra other than aesthetics in my view. Will be replacing the backs after Christmas with Goodyear Eagle F1s which are a bit cheaper here than the Bridgestones:

http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-3-275-35-r19-100-y-run-on-flat-xl-fp---moe#125042154

What sort of mileage would you get from the 19" Bazz?
    I have them on the 330e.the ride is fine with them I find.

I've Dunlop Sport Maxx front and back but the back ones were new when I bought the car back in April. I've done 17k km since then and they are down to 3.44 mm now, the grip certainly isn't as good as it was so I'd say I'll be replacing them in the next 3 to 4 months. The Dunlops are ok but their grip really degrades when they get below the 4mm thread mark. Reviews suggest the Goodyear Eagle F1s are a very good all rounder and they are actually cheaper than the Dunlops too which is a nice bonus.

I was hoping to get 25 to 30 k km out of my rears but the torque overwhelms them sometimes so may not happen.

Regards 2016 f10 520d m sport, I see on Bimmerpost they are saying that you can pick up a pre reg zero mile one for 25600 pounds or no deposit and 299 a month on pcp over 4 years. That's before haggling.
    They're saying the bigger engine models are not much more. That's great value.
    We get screwed here no doubt.

Just looking at the values of a second hand 330e in the UK and they seem to be remaining strong probably due to demand.

This one caught my eye:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611199904653?advertising-location=at_cars&body-type=Saloon&fuel-type=Hybrid&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&model=3%20SERIES&sort=price-asc&make=BMW&year-from=2015&radius=1500&postcode=se10ab&page=2

Your looking at around 39k + around 3k in VRT and whatever for the extras so roughly just under 45k. I priced a similar spec on the BMW calculator and it was coming in at around 58k list. VRT rebate and grant and your talking about 50.5k before haggling.

330e is very popular in the uk due to company car tax rules. I think that might be changing in the future which will make it lot less attractive over there and values will fall I guess. Certainly the regular 3 series depreciates a lot over there.
    The g30 5 series will depreciate just the same when they start selling in numbers.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I see on Bimmerpost they are saying that you can pick up a pre reg zero mile one for 25600 pounds or no deposit and 299 a month on pcp over 4 years.

That is so affordable. Awful how we get shafted here.

• Advertisement

That's insane value, link to the tread?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326479

Here is link to thread in question.

Seems there are deals across the board.

Brand new 730d is £499 a month (48), £15,500 deposit with a £10,000 deposit contribution from the dealer/manufacturer making it just £5,500. £24,500 final payment.

Not small money, but a bargain for that sector.

I have always loved 6 series gran coupe.
    9.5k deposit and 539 a month at zero per cent apr.
    Why can't we get such deals over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have always loved 6 series gran coupe.
    9.5k deposit and 539 a month at zero per cent apr.
    Why can't we get such deals over here?

Jesus, we are getting ripped off.
    70k sterling 7 series for sensible deposit and monthly.
    Forgetting about 7 series, we should be able to get into a 70k euro BMW for similar figures in Euro yet we can't cause we are getting ridden. UK deals have massive discount by way of dealer contribution. That is where the deal is. It means you are not overly worried about equity at end cause you haven't put so much cash up front to begin with.

You can see why the northerners have such great cars and way more flagships; they're genuinely affordable.

The motorist has always been rode here, we are just a continuous source of revenue.

The dealer contributions in the uk are basically BMW subsidies to move metal I presume. The move here by Mercedes to reduce prices by ten per cent is a clumsy way of doing the same thing.The market is so much bigger there too that volume must play a part in being able to sell at these prices.
    Some of the straight lease deals they have are amazing too. Don't know why we can't have personal leasing in Ireland.
    Vrt is the killer here I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The motorist has always been rode here, we are just a continuous source of revenue
    we do get done here BUT people must be able to afford to lose mad money if they choose to buy new 5 series, e class etc. The 20,000k off the 161 520d m sport is laughable! Literally how do they charge that for the ENTRY level tractor engine? I mean they must sell in sufficient numbers at that price for it to be worth bmw's while, they are only charging what the market will pay. so I suppose my question is, who in gods name is prepared to pay that outrageous sum of money, for a very modest car in my opinion?

But at least they probably saved E10 on the tax, going from E280 to E270 etc :rolleyes:

The problem is that any of the bigger diesel engines cost at least 10k more than the 4 pot here when new. That is a huge chunk of change that very few can justify for a bit of extra power and refinement and your still have a tractor engine under the bonnet at the end of the day. If there was small money between the 520d and 530d then I'm sure alot more people would opt for them. Also this trend is not unique to Ireland, go to the UK and 520d sales outnumber 530d/535d sales where these cars are more common and cheaper to buy.

The problem is that any of the bigger diesel engines cost at least 10k more than the 4 pot here when new. That is a huge chunk of change that very few can justify for a bit of extra power and refinement and your still have a tractor engine under the bonnet at the end of the day. If there was small money between the 520d and 530d then I'm sure alot more people would opt for them. Also this trend is not unique to Ireland, go to the UK and 520d sales outnumber 530d/535d sales where these cars are more common and cheaper to buy.
    I agree. Basically coming back to your initial point, in the uk these cars are a good buy, I think the money they are looking for them here, for the car that you are getting is poor value...

I went to look at the uk bmw site to see the difference between the 4 and 6 pot diesel engine and even there is is nearly £8,000 i.e. a fair chunk of change as you say!

http://www.bmw.co.uk/vc/ncc/xhtml/start/startWithConfigUrl.faces;jsessionid=2177dd5d5332d4360051494f70ea.0?country=GB&market=GB&productType=1&brand=BM&locale=en_GB&name=c8o2w2t1#MODEL_ENGINE

There are only 6 pot petrols on the bmw.co.uk website, surely there will be petrol options i.e. a 1.5 or 2L petrol? they have shaved a lot of weight off it, there would be no issue with a 2L turbo engine in one, a 1.5L might even work for some...

Edit: just read that the 530i is actually a 2L petrol turbo...

We are going off topic here but nowadays the 2.0d engine is plenty fast and smooth enough and financially the bigger engines make little sense. In the uk there is still a price disparity but if you read the forums the contributors say that discounts are much bigger on the bigger engine models and on pcp the gfv is such that payments are no more than for the lower Diesel engines.
    We are screwed here. I bought a new 330d in Jan 2013. Dealer told me straight up it was a great car and delighted to sell it but when I come to trade it back in it will only be worth slightly more than 320d in Ireland. When I did trade it that's what happened. Unless you're buying used in Ireland better to stick with the smaller engines unless you want to lose your shirt( which you do buying any new car I suppose).

We are screwed here. I bought a new 330d in Jan 2013. Dealer told me straight up it was a great car and delighted to sell it but when I come to trade it back in it will only be worth slightly more than 320d in Ireland. When I did trade it that's what happened. Unless you're buying used in Ireland better to stick with the smaller engines unless you want to lose your shirt( which you do buying any new car I suppose).

agree on new cars to an extent, there is a big difference between losing 10% a year for arguments sake on a 15k new car and a 55k new car... It just looks to me, that the value on the new 5 series is appalling v what you can buy a few year old one for...

an example being the below, bmw premium used car. 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, sure isnt that all you get for a new car anyway? and some sort of nct guarantee. not sure if thats worth the paper its written on, but its often an argument many use when trying to argue the new versus old car...

http://www.bmwpremiumselection.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE/7446150264901085293/

Idbatterim wrote: »
    agree on new cars to an extent, there is a big difference between losing 10% a year for arguments sake on a 15k new car and a 55k new car... It just looks to me, that the value on the new 5 series is appalling v what you can buy a few year old one for...

The prices sure have crept up since the big 2008 price adjustment.
    Didn't e class and 5 series come down to low 40s at that time for entry model?

• Advertisement

Yeah 520dse manual was about 44.5k in 2010. The new g30 model is 53k but that's auto and would have fair bit more kit as standard.

Unless you're buying used in Ireland better to stick with the smaller engines unless you want to lose your shirt( which you do buying any new car I suppose).

The other end of the scale is that high spec, big engines cars are like gold dust now compared to 3/4 years ago. Pick the right one, don't spend too much on it and you won't loose much at all, if anything. I plan to sell my own for pretty close to what I paid for it 3 years ago and i'll probably get it.

Reading all the above posts, its seriously disheartening how much UK owners buy their cars for.

I dare say that the payment I had worked out for a €62k (ex grant) 330e aren't far off a brand new 730d in the UK, on a month to month basis including the deposit and final payment.
    Granted there's an extra 12 months for the 7, but if we're talking an ongoing PCP deal with the dealer, and consider the monthly outgoings, I know which i'd be going for.

The other end of the scale is that high spec, big engines cars are like gold dust now compared to 3/4 years ago. Pick the right one, don't spend too much on it and you won't loose much at all, if anything. I plan to sell my own for pretty close to what I paid for it 3 years ago and i'll probably get it.

Reading all the above posts, its seriously disheartening how much UK owners buy their cars for.

I dare say that the payment I had worked out for a €62k (ex grant) 330e aren't far off a brand new 730d in the UK, on a month to month basis including the deposit and final payment.
    Granted there's an extra 12 months for the 7, but if we're talking an ongoing PCP deal with the dealer, and consider the monthly outgoings, I know which i'd be going for.

It would be bad form not to buy a new BMW at those prices.
    Having said that, if the dealers here were throwing about 10 percent of cost direct into deposit, it would make a huge difference to pcp figures and would really take any fear out of pcp as the deposit from customer would be small.
    Mercedes have missed a huge trick I think with the simple price cut, welcome as it is.

lads do you not question sums like 62,000 for a bloody 3 series?!

In fairness the 62k was before the 7.5k rebates and I think he had nearly every extra in it at that price but even at 55k it's a lot of money agreed.
    Unfortunately that's the price of cars now. Too high.

• Advertisement

Just saw this on bm FB page! image.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just saw this on bm FB page! image.png

While it's beautiful, I'm not sure a typical 7-series buyer goes for M-sport and gangsta wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

bazz26 wrote: »

Almost 80% of 5 series sales in the UK are for the 520d, so it's not really that different to home. Very rare to see an F10 with a six cylinder engine over there unfortunately - although there are some around. I've even seen a couple of 535is, as well as 528is (when they were still using the six pot engine)!

I read a statistic on some car magazine that said a mere 2% of F30/F31 3 series sales were for the 330d over there, but I've seen a fair few around and I don't think it would be terribly hard to get one if I wanted one. I've also seen some 335ds. There's also a reasonable amount of 4 series with the six pot diesel, too - although I've seen six pot 4 series in Ireland a few times as well.

What you will still see in the UK are six pot petrol BMWs, there's a relatively large number of M135is (and M235is) around, for example, I don't live in a particularly smart part of the UK and I see an M135i or M235i every 2-3 days. You'll also see petrol 3 series, although it's very rare for it to be anything better than a 320i.

In fairness, the 520d is a very good choice for many people; refinement (and timing chain on the N47 engined models) issues aside, it covers all the bases, with at least 181 bhp it will be fast enough even for most enthusiasts, the fuel economy, both in theory and in reality, is very good, and as you point out, the price gap between it and the six cylinder models is huge. For that reason, the 530d is much more expensive to run as a company car in the UK (the vast majority of larger cars in the UK are company cars), so it's either not on the list or nobody buys it (the tax rate is also higher because of the higher CO2 emissions). It's also worth noting that the extra cost of six cylinders in the 3 series is much smaller - last time I checked it was about €6,000 extra to get a 330d compared to a 320d automatic, I bet BMW would shift far more 530ds if they were only €6k more than the automatic 520d, especially in the UK.

There isn't any real justification for the huge price gap between 20d/30d now.
    I was at the launch of the new 5 and the sales man said that unlike before where you could blame emissions pushing the bigger engine into higher vrt brackets that is no longer the case. Now it is down to market positioning.
    Anyway it seems that the way to go is to buy a 2/3 year old model of the bigger engine cars with full warranty if you want the extra power.
    I'm loving the 330e still and had to buy new at the time and got a good deal. Still think it's OK price for power you get and economy but would be thinking along the lines of secondhand as above in future .

There isn't any real justification for the huge price gap between 20d/30d now.
    I was at the launch of the new 5 and the sales man said that unlike before where you could blame emissions pushing the bigger engine into higher vrt brackets that is no longer the case. Now it is down to market positioning.
    Anyway it seems that the way to go is to buy a 2/3 year old model of the bigger engine cars with full warranty if you want the extra power.
    I'm loving the 330e still and had to buy new at the time and got a good deal. Still think it's OK price for power you get and economy but would be thinking along the lines of secondhand as above in future .

No doubt the 330e is priced well among its Irish competition. The fuel saving is significant too.
    Can't help feeling that the whole thing is a rip off after looking at BMW UK prices and the discounts allowed.

While it's beautiful, I'm not sure a typical 7-series buyer goes for M-sport and gangsta wheels.

yeah it is a stunning car, real jaw dropper! HOWEVER, coming from a man with 3 bmw's in the house. Is it just me, or does anyone else think a lot of the models visually are appalling looking, overpriced, tractor engine jokes?

I honestly think the 1 and 2 series in particular are appalling, 3 series poor looking. The 5 series GT is repulsive. 4 series nice, new 5 quite nice visually, 7 pretty good...

The 5 GT is no more, there will not be a Gxx version. BMW are going to replace the 5 GT and 6 GC with one model from what I read. I like the 6 GC but doubt I'd ever be able to afford one.

Incidentally, I am subscribed to Statstone BMW UK on youtube and they frequently have some very nice metal for sale including a fair share of 330d/335d and 530d/535d. They also have the occasional M and i performance models too, it's nice to watch detailed videos of cars you don't see many or any of over here.

I really like the 4 and 6 series in GT or GC models, whichever one they are producing currently, the the 5 series is in that model is offensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm really interested in getting a 6 cylinder 4GC, the prices in the UK are quite good value at the moment even with the sterling back on the rise again.

I've a 142 328i fully loaded with extras to sell though, I'm not sure about trying to sell privately though. Would an Irish dealer buy a UK car for you and take your own as a trade-in? The dealers will give very little for a car as a trade-in though is the problem even when their own cars are hugely overpriced new.

Joe Duffy have a 161 335d for 55k at the minute but it's got very little extras on it. I'm so used to HUD, comfort access, reversing camera and surround view that I would struggle to go to another car without them now, especially the first 3.

Bavarian BMW in Belfast will take southern reg cars as trade-ins against their stock afaik. They might not give you top dollar for it but you can also claim back a chunk of VRT down here as you are exporting it abroad as sold.

A 328i is a nice rare car but still affordable being 2.0 litre so I'd contact a few dealers down here too as they are bringing in UK used BMWs. I see one of the dealers in Dublin have a brand new 330i for sale too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement