Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Looks tripe.
    Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Could start a new thread but the contribution has been so heavily discussed here, it seems to make sense.

Specced up a 4GC M-sport in a BMW dealer in Dublin today.

Price of ideal car came to approx €58,000. €5,000 dealer contribution and allowing €17,000 (!) for my 635, cost of change of €35,000. Figures were to be mailed across this afternoon, that didn't happen though, maybe they were busy....!

Not sure how I feel about such a low ball on my own car. It has 90,000kms, is mint, BMW warranty on it. It needs two alloys repaired (not damaged by me) and that is pretty much the only prep work needed. A tyre, maybe two and that really would be it. A very similar car in terms of spec and mileage is in Conlon's for €26,950.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't pay much attention to what Conlan's ask for their used cars they tend to be on a different planet. I bought my F10 from Keary's for about 2k more than what Conlan's wanted for a lower spec/higher mileage year older example. In saying that it sounds like they are trying to recoup a fair bit of that 5k contribution back through your trade-in price. Did you try a different dealer? Maybe try one outside the pale?

BTW the 4 Series is getting a facelift very soon similar to what the 3 Series got last year but I'd imagine the 5k contribution may disappear when the LCI model arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

And that 17k is against full retail. The 5k off is from BMW so dealer should still have discount to play with. You could say that they are giving about 14k for your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Was about to say the same, pretty crappy deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

MarkN wrote: »
    Could start a new thread but the contribution has been so heavily discussed here, it seems to make sense.

Specced up a 4GC M-sport in a BMW dealer in Dublin today.

Price of ideal car came to approx €58,000. €5,000 dealer contribution and allowing €17,000 (!) for my 635, cost of change of €35,000. Figures were to be mailed across this afternoon, that didn't happen though, maybe they were busy....!

Not sure how I feel about such a low ball on my own car. It has 90,000kms, is mint, BMW warranty on it. It needs two alloys repaired (not damaged by me) and that is pretty much the only prep work needed. A tyre, maybe two and that really would be it. A very similar car in terms of spec and mileage is in Conlon's for €26,950.

What engine in the 4GC and what year is the 635? 635 is diesel I assume?

digiman wrote: »
    What engine in the 4GC and what year is the 635? 635 is diesel I assume?

420d. 2008 diesel is my car, which I'm not even sure if I want to part with. I would never accept the first offer but it was just an idea of what I'd be looking at from my point of view. Same for trying to negotiate some discount.

I've always heard good things about the BMW dealership in Wexford so I'd probably give them a shout.

Contribution €5,000 is only paid out once your car is delivered before March 31st. It's nearly too late to factory order a car now to meet the deadline, the impression I got was if you miss the deadline, the €5,000 will be the owners problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Which is madness, they can't sell cars on that basis can they?

"Oh sorry it took 3 days to PDI your new car, so it was registered on April 1st, you now owe us 5k more"

Ford dealer told me same story on their "deal"

They have to be bullsh1tting to push sales. A car salesman never wants to order a car in. He wants to sell a car today so it suits them to scare everyone re the deal ending.
    Fair enough sterling may not be as damaging now as at the end of last year but for them to see the need to give 5k contribution over the period of the sales boom of January February suggests to me that they will be in no position to go making cars dearer as we move later into to the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Friend of mine traded in his 08 BMW 635d last week against a used Audi in an Audi garage. He had 77,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. He got 15k for it. The next best offer he got was 12.5k and some garages refused to take it as a trade in on the basis that there is a very limited market out there now for them due to age,running costs, insurance, potential for big bills etc.
    Can't understand this myself as it is a gorgeous car but it seems we don't appreciate a nice car in Ireland when it is a little older.

Re the 5k contribution, I could see them pulling it now that Mercedes have put 28th of February down as the end of their 10% off deadline. On the other hand it appears BMW sales have tanked so far this year according to the reg stats on another thread so maybe the scheme will be extended. Dealers probably wouldn't know what is really happening yet.

Also I would ignore Conlan's pricing on used stuff. They are always way over the odds in their asking prices.

• Advertisement

I don't even think it's down to Irish people not liking nice cars, we as a nation in general were always like that. Cars like a 635d will always have a limited market here but there is a huge push these days to get buyers into a new car through PCP, manufacturer contributions, scrappage schemes, etc. Main dealers just don't want the hassle of retailing cars of that nature or age any more so they give you its trade value that they would get from selling it on to a small time dealer.

BTW Mark a 420d is going to a fair step down from a 635d in terms of performance and refinement. Did you have a drive of one?

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't even think it's down to Irish people not liking nice cars, we as a nation in general were always like that. Cars like a 635d will always have a limited market here but there is a huge push these days to get buyers into a new car through PCP, manufacturer contributions, scrappage schemes, etc. Main dealers just don't want the hassle of retailing cars of that nature or age any more so they give you its trade value that they would get from selling it on to a small time dealer.

BTW Mark a 420d is going to a fair step down from a 635d in terms of performance and refinement. Did you have a drive of one?

The comparison test has crossed my mind alright. It's what has me scratching my head in terms of what can you replace the 635 with. It was easier when I had a 630i as the tax was a joke and I was sick of putting petrol in but the 635 is so cheap to run in comparison.

He offered to pull out a brand new one that they have for sale (tried to see if I would take that one in fact as it's not far off the spec) but when I thought about the cost of change I just said look to be honest at that price I wouldn't be dealing so I don't want to be putting miles onto a brand new car.

I think it's a car I'll have to sell privately if I want to move on. It has full BMW warranty and I'll extend it again in June if I still have it. That is a big selling point in my opinion because if any of the big stuff goes wrong, it'll be covered. I may end up looking to the UK for a 2012/2013 640D coupe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Mark could I ask why you want to sell the 635 ? Id argue you are selling a superior car and will get done on depreciation and finance! Why bother? I work beside a BMW garage and the crap that they are selling and the price the price tag makes me laugh... Compared to the ridiculous far higher end stuff like you are driving around with overall likely far lower total overall running costs ...

Except for its physical size I love the 640d gran coupe and a used one would be preferable to a new 420d gran coupe,
    Performance and refinement in a another league but they are a very big broad car.
    I've driven one and found it felt very wide and long but on the open road was a dream. They depreciate rapidly soeven a 2/3 year old one will still lose a lot of value.
    I would agree that selling your own privately would make more sense but can be a pain in the ass to do. My pal tried with his but only encountered messers by and large. I thought you got it fairly recently and it looked lovely so why the urge to change?
    I certainly wouldn't be changing to take advantage of the contributions as I have a feeling there will be offers in some form or other around as the market is definitely slowing down.
    The dealer I bought from told me that business is all about volume now and everything is dictated by BMW ireland re targets etc. The garages have little or no decision making ability on most things apparently. You might do better in a garage that hasn't hit targets possibly outside of Dublin but I have a feeling they are all going to low ball your 635d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bm would just sell that car into the trade though. What would that car sell for on the private market?

How much is the warranty on the 6? Big selling point for it as you say.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How much is the warranty on the 6? Big selling point for it as you say.

€500 per year. Well worth it, new gearbox etc would be thousands. Although at 90,000kms, I wouldn't expect it to go.

Why the looking around? Suppose like a lot of us here, we just get itchy. In the private market, maybe 20? Maybe? I'll have it a year in a couple of weeks. I've a number of a guy who asked me if I was selling early 2017 last time I was washing it, dunno what his budget is though.

I think you could be right about contributions being extended, I remember the 3.9% finishing on the 4GC and now it's here with us again.

Like for like type replacement would have to be a 640 though, no doubt about it. Spending 40k on a 4/5 year old good one would mean nasty depreciation though. There's probably *some* peace of mind buying something a bit newer like a 4GC in terms of depreciation. There's a lovely 335D in Duffy's, estoril blue, big money for a second hand car though.

I've Been looking at 640d coupe. You would have a 12 msport nice one in from uk for under 35k. The GC is more expensive.

Just looking at 635d prices, that"deal" they offered on yours Mark is a joke.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I've Been looking at 640d coupe. You would have a 12 msport nice one in from uk for under 35k. The GC is more expensive.

Inc VRT?

Really? Decent spec 2012s are £25k, is the VRT that cheap? I've never checked.

Beshoffs have a nice 640d Gran Coupe for the same price as a new 420d, but still big bucks. Coming out of my E66 I was quite underwhelmed by my test drive in a blue Gran Coupe they had, it was quite claustrophobic with a very narrow windscreen. I felt I would be getting exceptionally poor value for money changing from mine to it, with a 50k hole in my pocket.

well I was allowing 23.5k for a UK one as there are 60k mile m sports from 21k upwards.
    vrt comes up at 7000 but I think they may be wrong on the emissions and it may be 8200 in the next band.
    When I checked sterling was 85p to the euro to buy. that might be a little different now.

Just cleaned her up there, it's not a 17k car IMO.

31459758524_6d78afaf20_c.jpg
    32151968662_75e9acc1b1_c.jpg
    32151361842_657a05f857_c.jpg

Lovely example to be fair.
    Hard to know the true value when the market is fairly limited.
    Your mileage is crazy low but age is against it and strangely an awful lot of people would take a 2010 120k mile car over a 50k mile 08.
    Private sale is your only bet anyway. Dealer will never appreciate an above average example on a trade in but of course when a buyer comes along, he will tell them he has this special one that came in barely used and that they would be lucky to get it at any price.
    How much did it cost last year?

How much did it cost last year?

• Advertisement

Would it be worth looking into selling it abroad? Might be a better market for it in NI or the UK. You would also get some money back via a VRT refund once it's sold. You'd have to do the maths as well as look into the extra effort involved in selling that way.

Personally, I'd rather torch it than give it away to a dealer for 17k. The 4 GC is a fine car in it's own right and will be on my radar when I part with my F10 but it would be some culture shock coming from a 635d.

Just as a side note Bill Griffin has a well specced low mileage 15 reg 640d GC for similar money as the 4 GC. Wouldn't have the 2 year BMW warranty though:

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1652869&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D88%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

My only concern is why and how did that particular dealer get his hands on a car like that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Would it be worth looking into selling it abroad? Might be a better market for it in NI or the UK. You would also get some money back via a VRT refund once it's sold. You'd have to do the maths as well as look into the extra effort involved in selling that way.

Personally, I'd rather torch it than give it away to a dealer for 17k. The 4 GC is a fine car in it's own right and will be on my radar when I part with my F10 but it would be some culture shock coming from a 635d.

Just as a side note Bill Griffin has a well specced low mileage 15 reg 640d GC for similar money as the 4 GC. Wouldn't have the 2 year BMW warranty though:

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1652869&r=s.php%3Fm%3D10%26o%3D88%26r%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

My only concern is why and how did that particular dealer get his hands on a car like that.

I think you can be lucky and unlucky buying from them.

Hanging onto it is probably the best option anyway for now. Someone else mentioned a mate trading one in for an Audi a few posts back, there doesn't seem to be a trade in market for them at all.

Car looks lovely.
    Is it space grey?
    I do think a 420d would feel like a big come down after that and you might regret it.
    I agree that a private sale is your best chance of a decent price but you might have a long wait. You're dealing with a very limited market of people in Ireland that appreciate a car like that and have the means to run it.

From what it appears on this thread Bmw are using the contributions to get people in the door and are basically then taking the piss on the trade in values or in the case of the 330e quoting big Apr on the finance to compensate.
    Keep the the 6 series or put it up for sale yourself. If you paid 25 grand last year what do you think is realistic to get now?no dealer will give you what it's really worth.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Car looks lovely.
    Is it space grey?
    I do think a 420d would feel like a big come down after that and you might regret it.
    I agree that a private sale is your best chance of a decent price but you might have a long wait. You're dealing with a very limited market of people in Ireland that appreciate a car like that and have the means to run it.

From what it appears on this thread Bmw are using the contributions to get people in the door and are basically then taking the piss on the trade in values or in the case of the 330e quoting big Apr on the finance to compensate.
    Keep the the 6 series or put it up for sale yourself. If you paid 25 grand last year what do you think is realistic to get now?no dealer will give you what it's really worth.

Space grey yep. My favourite BMW colour I think.

If I got 20 for it I'd be over the moon. Would I take 19 if I'd found the right car to replace it with? Maybe.

With the mileage and warranty on it, I'd also be happy hanging onto it for another year.

There is no doubt the dealer are taking the contribution straight back re poorer trade in value.
    When I visited bmw and said straight sale, they didn't even want to give me the contribution at all on a 330e.

• Advertisement

You could just do a deal taking finance getting the contribution and then pay it off straight away.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You could just do a deal taking finance getting the contribution and then pay it off straight away.

No I mean straight deal as in no trade in put taking a pcp.

Mick your estimate still seems on the money. You can pick up a low miles 2012 for about 27,000 Euro in a BMW dealer with the warranty obviously. €8k odd VRT.

very odd. I'm getting completely different vrt figures than you and I cannot see why.
    for a 2012 640d f13 2 door msport auto with 28000 miles , I'm getting a little over 7000 euro. I believe the 2012 version might be in a higher vrt brackets than that so I figured maybe 8200 vrt. Revenue omsp on my calc is only 30000 whereas yours shows 38k.
    There are very few options on the revenue calculator for the 640d so I'm stumped.

very odd. I'm getting completely different vrt figures than you and I cannot see why.
    for a 2012 640d f13 2 door msport auto with 28000 miles , I'm getting a little over 7000 euro. I believe the 2012 version might be in a higher vrt brackets than that so I figured maybe 8200 vrt. Revenue omsp on my calc is only 30000 whereas yours shows 38k.
    There are very few options on the revenue calculator for the 640d so I'm stumped.

Were you using the CO2 option or something?

nope. only afterwards when I put a figure above 155g to get a higher figure.

Solved it. Revenue have 640d appearing twice when you scroll down. They have it as 640d and 640 d.
    One gives an omsp of 30k and the other gives 38k.
    Say nothing! :)

Solved it. Revenue have 640d appearing twice when you scroll down. They have it as 640d and 640 d.
    One gives an omsp of 30k and the other gives 38k.
    Say nothing! :)

I noticed the gap when I was scrolling earlier. They'd hardly let you away with that though, would they?! :)

I'd imagine someone got it when it's there.
    Your one has a more realistic omsp so that is the correct one.
    Do you know what the emissions are on a 2012 one?
    Alot of false info about coming from later models etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

That's a really poor offer on your 6 Mark, but not surprising. If you are looking to trade in you'd probably better looking at a specialist dealer rather than main dealer. I see Paul Tobin has 2 430d Gran Coupes (both 2016).

I has a hankering to change my F10 535d MSport recently with full BME history & was only offered around the €20k mark for it. Not worth my while letting it go for anywhere near that.

I'm looking forward to see what the new 530e will be like

• Advertisement

bf wrote: »
    I see Paul Tobin has 2 430d Gran Coupes (both 2016).

Also I've noticed has a lovely 2014 A7! And a pretty great value 2015 520.

I've been looking at 2012+ 6 series all evening. An incredible amount of them for sale in the UK and they're looking like good value. Problem is, very, very few have a spec i'd be interested in. There's also virtually no 650i models for sale which whilst not surprising, is still disappointing how non existent they are.

What kind of spec are you missing out on that you'd like? I assumed they'd be fairly well specced as standard.

Even the odd LCI 2013 is nearly at 2012 money. I just feel now is the time with sterling but I'm under pressure with my car before I can do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

The 4 series LCI is out now.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344265

Pity no sign of a 430e :(

I wonder will they still have the €5k discount when these are ready to be ordered?

BMW have just released details of the 4 series facelift or lci as they call it.
    Pretty much as was expected. Minor changes but does freshen it up.
    No mention is a 430e however.

Re the 6 series. I think if you're looking to go to uk to buy mark and take advantage you will have to take some pain on your current car. Can't expect to get top money for your own and pay less for the uk one. Any clued in buyer here will be comparing your car to what value they can get in the uk too.

Yeah, true enough. I just feel looking at them on Carzone (I know, I know!) there's examples with mad mileage asking for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, true enough. I just feel looking at them on Carzone (I know, I know!) there's examples with mad mileage asking for more money.

Yeah, but they're still on Carzone ie. not selling.

You should throw yours up at what you think is a fair price, and see the reaction you get. You don't have to sell like.

4 Series LCI seems to have got similar style LED headlights and taillights to the new G30 5 Series. Interior changes look very similar to the LCI 3 Series except maybe for the LCD binnacle dials. I noticed that the new generation infotainment system was introduced on the 4 Series late last year too but I've heard they have had some problems with Apple Carplay and Android Auto on it.

What kind of spec are you missing out on that you'd like? I assumed they'd be fairly well specced as standard.

Even the odd LCI 2013 is nearly at 2012 money. I just feel now is the time with sterling but I'm under pressure with my car before I can do anything.

Comfort seats are an absolute must, which wipes out 90% of them. Hk audio, comfort access and softclose are wants as well. Combined with the right colour combo of blue on cream, m-sport with 19"s+, I might be waiting a while.

• Advertisement

Good that you're not fussy!

6 series was heavily discounted in the UK from new and the coupe even more so.
    Running costs shouldn't be too bad if you stay away from main dealers.
    Wonder how much 20" runflat tyres cost though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement