Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

what is the current policy on puncture repair on them. If they have been driven flat, is it tyre then junk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

mickdw wrote: »
    what is the current policy on puncture repair on them. If they have been driven flat, is it tyre then junk?

Mines has only 3mm left so didn't worry about it, they assess it and repair if possible. But of course the longer you drive on it the lower odds of it being repairable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

digiman wrote: »
    Having been unlucky enough to have gotten 2 punctures within a few days I was more than glad I had my RFTs. Also just been able to keep on driving on the RFTs for 200km was great late on a rainy night when I got the 2nd one.

Other than the extra cost is their any other big disadvantages? I know people say the ride is not as good but can't complain with mine although I do have adaptive suspension so that may help.

I personally think the ride with RFTs is deplorable, way too hard. If they were so good, BMW would put them on their M models. But they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Over the last few years I think the ride with run flats has improved hugely.
    However interestingly enough I think I read that the new 5 series on 17" wheels doesn't have runflats anymore.
    You get a can of goo to inflate the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I will have to replace tyres on my F10 soon and I really don't know whether to get rid of run flats or not. Ride wise I find them fine but they are expensive yokes! Really don't want to have a spare in the boot though as I like to keep it empty and clean so may have to stick with RFT's.

Does the current 5 not have a spare wheel well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The old E60 had a tyre well as the E60 first came with regular tyres and then they switched to RFTs. The F10 came with RFTs from launch so there is no tyre well, just a small compartment for stuff.

Also RFTs these days are much better than the older ones. I had an E90 3 Series M Sport a good few years ago with staggered 18" RFTs and they were very hard and fragile. I damaged one on a kerb and had to replace it and got a few punctures too. I'm now on my second F10 with RFTs and not one puncture (tip wood) and they ware way more comfortable even the ones on the my current 19" rims.

I wonder are these 'seal inside' type tyres any good or just gimmick?
    Would seem like a reasonable idea if relying on a can of gunk for punchures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

A lot of the run flats need to be replaced after driving them with a puncture, better to change the wheel and not need a new tyre

• Advertisement

Interesting read.
    What has happened to the Mercedes c350e
    Looked like a very tempting option but I think they are going to be well away on price.
    On another subject, I see boland bmw advertising a 330e sport 2016 with a few k km for 41k euro.
    Assuming that 7.5k in grants are already gone and assuming that dealer contribution is also not applicable, they would appear to be looking for dreamer price.

There has been a hybrid 5 series for a few years. This must be the same. it's not plug in so similar to a lexus gs 450h in terms of using the battery pack for addition grunt and small benefit to mpg.

They were huge money I think when they came out maybe 70k here and were more directed at the US market I think.
    Would be surprised if any exist in Ireland.
    Apparently they are fast but not frugal and the battery is too heavy.

Edit just found an old pricelist- M sport was 68k base price here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not sure if the EV grant, VRT rebate or BMW contribution apply to second hand cars..

EV Grant not only applies only to new cars, both the dealer and model of vehicle need to be registered for the scheme. That meant until Tesla joined SIMI and set up a local company they didn't get the EV grant on new vehicles either.

VRT rebate applies to second hand vehicles on import but is reduced depending on the age at import. €2250 credit for the first 2 years, reduced by €250 every year after.

BMW Contribution.... you're kidding, right?
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    They were huge money I think when they came out maybe 70k here and were more directed at the US market I think.
    Would be surprised if any exist in Ireland.

Yup, they used to get people HOV lane access and tax rebates in California and the like.

I saw a 5 series active hybrid once in south dublin, like spotting the loch ness monster, noone believes me to this day.

I see on my youtube feed that Joe Duffy have a nice 162 Estoril Blue 330e M Sport. Highest spec one I've seen on these shores too.

This beauty coming in at €53k

I know it was going to be north of 50k anyway. I wonder how much a brand new one would cost with the same options when you take the grants and contribution into account. I'd say not too far off what they are asking for that.

I know it was going to be north of 50k anyway. I wonder how much a brand new one would cost with the same options when you take the grants and contribution into account. I'd say not too far off what they are asking for that.

65.5k is what I priced her up at there now, so they are taking €12.5k of her so means there is probably a decent bit of negotiating that could be done here as you are basically spot on when grants and contributions come into it.

• Advertisement

65.5k less vrt exemption and grant brings it to 58k.
    Less the 4K contribution that is 54k for a new one of that spec.
    53k is taking the piss really and remember most of those options are virtually worthless when you trade it back in.Has to be a lot of wriggle room in that asking price.

Is that your white 142 328i for sale on Carzone digiman?
    Looks lovely and very good price regardless.

65.5k less vrt exemption and grant brings it to 58k.
    Less the 4K contribution that is 54k for a new one of that spec.
    53k is taking the piss really and remember most of those options are virtually worthless when you trade it back in.Has to be a lot of wriggle room in that asking price.

Is that your white 142 328i for sale on Carzone digiman?
    Looks lovely and very good price regardless.

What do you think they would take for the 330e? I was thinking closer to €45/46k given that a new one can be had for €54k.

That's my 328i alright, not had too much interest so far but put her up just to see really what interest it would get. I think I need to price it a bit better to get someone to put in a serious offer. It's a lot of money for a private sale of course. Will always be very difficult to sell such a car privately.

Any pricing so far on 530e?

I think prices for 530e are to be out this month as it's supposed to be available from March.
    It was said that there was an expectation it would be slightly cheaper than a 520d so expect 51/52k after grants.
    Could be a good buy at that for some that don't need a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

What do you think they would take for the 330e? I was thinking closer to €45/46k given that a new one can be had for €54k.

That's my 328i alright, not had too much interest so far but put her up just to see really what interest it would get. I think I need to price it a bit better to get someone to put in a serious offer. It's a lot of money for a private sale of course. Will always be very difficult to sell such a car privately.

How did you find the 328? Was there anything you didnt like?

45/46k sounds reasonable but it's hard to know with main dealers.I would guess 49/50k straight
    If you trade in yours they will try and bamboozle you I guess giving you more for yours and knocking a chunk off the 330e.

• Advertisement

I just cannot see a BMW dealer knocking +5k off that 330e. It's just not in their nature to discount that much. They seem to be trying to make more profit on used cars now that new cars are more aggressively priced.

I would like to see someone go back in with a 16 plate 330e and see what they offer. I'd say the trade in figure would be at least 10k below basic m sport price.
    Anyone who gives them that cash deserves all they get but it would appear to be incorrectly priced.

mickdw wrote: »
    I would like to see someone go back in with a 16 plate 330e and see what they offer. I'd say the trade in figure would be at least 10k below basic m sport price.
    Anyone who gives them that cash deserves all they get but it would appear to be incorrectly priced.

I don't agree it's incorrectly priced.
    You and I wouldn't pay that for it but maybe somebody will?
    I've seen cars put up for sale at very optimistic prices in the past and lo and behold a punter comes in and purchases. They like the colour, spec don't want to wait etc. You'd be surprised also at how many people only look at the monthly costs not the overall price. It's frightening.
    The dealer thinks they can get it.
    If it's still there in a month or two the price will come down a grand or two. The dealer can afford to wait.

How can a car on a year old plate with a spec that hasn't been hand picked be worth only 1k less than going in and ordering a year newer car with same spec but to own taste.
    I don't disagree that people are foolish but Jesus they are chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The 530e will genuinely interest me if the price is right.

• Advertisement

pajo1981 wrote: »
    How did you find the 328? Was there anything you didnt like?

I love it, lots of power and a pleasure to drive. Handles great as well, I will only trade in when I find the right next car with a similar high spec. If I could get a 440i GC for reasonable money I would go for that but that is not likely to happen. I would also go for a petrol again, but in no major hurrry yet.

If the 530e is 60000 before grants etc, pcp figures could be reasonable.
    57.5k when 2.5k grant is taken off.
    further 9k off for seai grant and contribution.
    gfv 25300 based on 44 percent of 57.5k. I've seen a 330e quote done this way.
    Add in 8250 cash to make max deposit of 30 percent.
    Monthly 550 at 4.9
    or
    635 at 7.9

Awaits visit to dealer only to be told it's 1200 per month cause there is no contribution and interest rate is 23 percent. Yes I have done that calculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm thinking my next car will be either a 440i C/GC or an F80 M3. Depends how long I hold onto my F30 330d!

Would you be happy with basic spec though mick?
    Add a few toys and the price will rapidly rise.
    Apr will also definitely be high on it.

was looking at the document for my deal and with the way things seem to be going depreciation wise on cars will be lucky if there is much equity in my car at the end of the deal as the gfv is 24.5 k.
    When I bought it the dealer said he reckoned low thirties is what it would be worth but can't see that happening now.
    I reckon BMW will have to start adjusting gfv's down to take into account the market as it is now.

Base spec on the 3 Series is pretty barren even on the M Sport.

Would you be happy with basic spec though mick?
    Add a few toys and the price will rapidly rise.
    Apr will also definitely be high on it.

was looking at the document for my deal and with the way things seem to be going depreciation wise on cars will be lucky if there is much equity in my car at the end of the deal as the gfv is 24.5 k.
    When I bought it the dealer said he reckoned low thirties is what it would be worth but can't see that happening now.
    I reckon BMW will have to start adjusting gfv's down to take into account the market as it is now.

Spec wise, I do realise there is a whole mountain of stuff that I would love but at the same time, the new 5 does appear to be nicely specd anyway and considering the stuff that comes with the phev version anyway, I think another 2.5k maybe of spec might keep me happy enough.
    I see it as a safer bet than the 330e in terms of having something left in it at end of term being a brand new model.
    I do agree that the gfv are high and Mercedes for example appear to operate a more sensible policy in terms of gfv. It's harder to get into a Mercedes but if you can, it is likely that you will be able to afford to trade again and again.
    With current bmw deals, I feel it's a case of shifting metal and don't worry about the customer coming back until the time comes.
    Realistically, I'm planning buying outright a 35k used car. borrow maybe 20k, then trade in and put some cash in.
    That would mean over 400 per month for 5 years plus 15k into it between old car and cash.
    15k deposit and 400 monthly opens up a whole load of pcp options. The bmw phev deals then come with the added bonus of needing very small deposit due to grants etc.
    Head is fried tbh but given that the phev suits my useage and smaller cash up front, it is certainly a strong option as the fear of swallowed up equity is less than when 15k deposit is invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

New s90 phev might be worth a look too. I was in one recently and it's refreshingly nice place to be. Phev isn't out yet but when it is it's got over 400hp combined. Residuals may be different, I'm not sure how well Volvo's hold their value here.

On another note, I am bringing a 3 series in to a BMW dealer soon to get 800 odd euro of work done to it(it's not my car but I work beside the dealer so convenient for owner). They want 25quid to give me a loaner for the day? Is this common practice? I know it's only 25 euro but I would expect when they are getting the guts of a grand in their workshop they would give me a loaner FOC.

€25 is expensive for a loaner for a day. My local dealer charges €10 for a loaner and that's to cover putting you on their insurance. For €25 I'd be wanting a 640d or M3 for the day. :P

I guess it's down to the dealer.
    If car is out of warranty and it's repair work then I suppose they use their discretion. I would be pissed off however to ba asked for it if I was spending 800 euro with them and would challenge it.
    My dealer picks up the car leaving a loaner and swaps back when work is done.

This beauty coming in at €53k

A friend and colleague had an estoril blue 330e out for a 24 hour test run from Joe Duffy on Tuesday. Pretty much had all the toys fitted.

I was told by someone that the original owner brought it home and some of the local clowns tried to nick it repeatedly. They chucked it into a Volkswagen dealership and bought a less tempting Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Hi all, just read every single page over a number of days and seen lots of interesting information on the 330e, as well as quite a few pages of finance stuff which goes straight over my head.

I ordered my car back at the end of November and am due to pick it up next week. I currently have a 131 320d M Sport so went for almost the same car again except this time without the oil burner in the front. Ordered with just a few extras, heated seats/steering wheel, privacy glass and auto dipping headlights. I'm in Donegal and my 'local' dealer wasn't exactly generous on the trade in so tried more middle Ireland and found to be much better to deal with.

Bunch of questions I hope you can all help with. I'm rural and only get a day time single rate electricity meter. Is it worth getting the night meter just for charging the car? If so, can I set my soon to be installed charging socket to only charge after midnight?

The BMW connected stuff, do I actually need to buy an iPhone? I looked for an Android app but the BMW website said no. Windows phones are so much easier...wait for barrage...

Will have loads more questions over the weeks. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

€25 is expensive for a loaner for a day. My local dealer charges €10 for a loaner and that's to cover putting you on their insurance. For €25 I'd be wanting a 640d or M3 for the day. :P

I've had my E90 in with Conlans for 2 oil changes, the bog standard 143 quid job, and got a courtesy loaner both times. An E60 520d and an E90 316d. Had to put a fiver diesel in the E90 but otherwise all good in fairness!

Batfink69 wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the night meter just for charging the car?

The nightsaver meter replaces your house's existing meter. So all your consumption during nightsaver hours gets the cheap rate. Day rate usually goes up by about 1c/kWh and nighttime use goes down by 7-9c/kWh.
    Standing charge goes up by €50/year. With a car charging and typical overnight use you'll make the standing charge back in two/three months on average. Better than that if you run appliances on timer.

It's also worth looking at what you are paying for electricity. You can't negotiate petrol prices much with the local garage but you can get up to 33% off your electricity easily. See this thread for some provider pricing:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057698244

If so, can I set my soon to be installed charging socket to only charge after midnight?

The timer is set in the car. You set the low-cost charging hours and it just handles it. Your home chargepoint is not much more than a fancy weatherproof socket, the charger and all the smarts are on the car side.

Hi Gents,

Been looking at some of the extras I'm been offered. Would love to hear your thoughts so can decide if or not to go with.

Auto Protect - 3 year cover for up to 150mm dents or scratches and 1.5mm chips. Been offered this at just under 400 yoyos. Anyone got any experience?

BMW Protect X - again 3 years for close to the same price. Covers for fabric protection, though the car is leather. Thinking maybe not worth? Again, love to know your thoughts?

Is there anything others have had offered which maybe I should be looking at?

Picking up this week. Power socket going up Tuesday. Charging card arrived last week. Sure I'm missing something!

Big thanks to all.

Best of luck with it, those extras I would stay clear of as generally poor value. If you want to put protection on your paint get it done professionally and not by the dealer. Personally I wouldn't bother doing it with a new car anyway, just enjoy the new wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Hi Gents,

Been looking at some of the extras I'm been offered. Would love to hear your thoughts so can decide if or not to go with.

Auto Protect - 3 year cover for up to 150mm dents or scratches and 1.5mm chips. Been offered this at just under 400 yoyos. Anyone got any experience?

BMW Protect X - again 3 years for close to the same price. Covers for fabric protection, though the car is leather. Thinking maybe not worth? Again, love to know your thoughts?

Is there anything others have had offered which maybe I should be looking at?

Picking up this week. Power socket going up Tuesday. Charging card arrived last week. Sure I'm missing something!

Big thanks to all.

Don't let the dealer put anything on it. Give Brian at SpiritDetailing a shout.
    I just picked up my 330e told the dealer to not touch it and the amount of marks on it is unreal, looks like it went through an auto wash.
    Got Brian to put on the Opticoat + Pro the next day after pick up and the car looks insane now.

Many thanks, your car looks great but I don't think I could ever keep a black car.

I'm based in the North West so may have to find someone a bit closer.

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Don't let the dealer put anything on it. Give Brian at SpiritDetailing a shout.
    I just picked up my 330e told the dealer to not touch it and the amount of marks on it is unreal, looks like it went through an auto wash.
    Got Brian to put on the Opticoat + Pro the next day after pick up and the car looks insane now.

I saw Brain's photos on Facebook...Didn't realise it was a 330e. Looks like it got a rub of a cloth that was lying on the beach on the before pictures. Terrible condition for a brand new car to be in. Looks the business now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'd be disgusted with swirls on new yoke. I wonder if you can include instructions to not wash it, even before it hits the dealer.

• Advertisement

As the guys have said,don't take the BMW paint/upholstery protection.
    Go to a detailer and you will pay less probably and definitely get a better job done. Maybe ask on the detailing forum for recommendations in your area?
    Hope you enjoy the new car!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement