Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be disgusted with swirls on new yoke. I wonder if you can include instructions to not wash it, even before it hits the dealer.

I'd be pretty confident that the paint would not be swirl marked on arrival at dealer. It's the monkeys in the dealers doing the damage so should be enough to tell dealer that you will take it how they got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't there some sort of protective polish or wax they put on at the factory to protect the paintwork during transportation on the boat? Maybe when this is removed at the dealership that is when the paint is damaged.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Isn't there some sort of protective polish or wax they put on at the factory to protect the paintwork during transportation on the boat? Maybe when this is removed at the dealership that is when the paint is damaged.

ya but you would really want to be taking the car to detailer with all coating still intact if going that route.
    If dealer is preparing the car, they should be able to manage it without putting swirls on it.
    When I picked up my car a number of years ago, there was a patch of the protective wax left along roof edge.
    I had to get a warm day before it was soft enough to remove by hand. If was almost glue like. Should have taken it back but thought that I was better sorting it myself that letting the cowboys at it again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Batfink69 wrote: »
    Hi Gents,

Been looking at some of the extras I'm been offered. Would love to hear your thoughts so can decide if or not to go with.

Auto Protect - 3 year cover for up to 150mm dents or scratches and 1.5mm chips. Been offered this at just under 400 yoyos. Anyone got any experience?

BMW Protect X - again 3 years for close to the same price. Covers for fabric protection, though the car is leather. Thinking maybe not worth? Again, love to know your thoughts?

Is there anything others have had offered which maybe I should be looking at?

Picking up this week. Power socket going up Tuesday. Charging card arrived last week. Sure I'm missing something!

Big thanks to all.

I'd check out the Auto Protect if I were you.
    Now if it's just a coating i'd stay away, however it seems more like a scratch/dent insurance to me from the description. If so I'd take it.

But as mentioned above tell them not to wash it and get a proper coating done by someone local. There is a crowd called MX Valeting that would cover your area. I've used them before and they are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Didn't think MX valeting would travel to Donegal but he did my 330e and I highly recommend him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Batfink69

Looks like they don't cover Donegal, I'll keep looking.

On the 'Auto Protect', my only dark thought is that it says it covers stone chips up to 1.5mm in diameter, which sounds a little on the small side. Like all, I hope not to get stone chips, but they are a must these days.

Well my charging socket went in yesterday. The company fitting it says they have fitted every one in Ireland and there's still 400 free ones left to go. He's probably fitting 3 to 4 daily.

I picked up the car today, first impression...super smooth. Can't pick up the gear change, only just notice when the engine kicks in. Charged tonight with the cable which the dealer threw in for free for me. 18 mile journey to work in the morning and we're going to fit a charging socket there as soon as I can get it organised.

Car set to prepare itself for 7.30am. Will see if I've managed to set that one up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Best of luck with the new purchase. 18 miles each way and a charge point at work could be perfect. Throw up a picture or two of your new wheels.

Well my charging socket went in yesterday. The company fitting it says they have fitted every one in Ireland and there's still 400 free ones left to go. He's probably fitting 3 to 4 daily.

I picked up the car today, first impression...super smooth. Can't pick up the gear change, only just notice when the engine kicks in. Charged tonight with the cable which the dealer threw in for free for me. 18 mile journey to work in the morning and we're going to fit a charging socket there as soon as I can get it organised.

Car set to prepare itself for 7.30am. Will see if I've managed to set that one up properly.

Well wear.
    Hope you like it and best of luck.

I was talking to somebody who has one about 6 months and is less than overjoyed with the car.
    Dissatisfied with overall economy and electric range.
    Feels it isn't the drivers car of BMW's of old. Much more disconnected from the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I was talking to somebody who has one about 6 months and is less than overjoyed with the car.
    Feels it isn't the drivers car of BMW's of old. Much more disconnected from the road.

It be interesting to get more details. Anything to do with the run flats or even the breaking. The latter is probably my biggest gripe. I don't get the feel of the road I assume because of the regenerative breaking.

I'm getting over 53 mpg which I'd be shocked it you could get that from another petrol.

Can someone who owns one tell me how many units of electricity it takes daily for a single charge. Real world, not just a calculation based on battery size.

MaceFace wrote: »
    It be interesting to get more details. Anything to do with the run flats or even the breaking. The latter is probably my biggest gripe. I don't get the feel of the road I assume because of the regenerative breaking.

I'm getting over 53 mpg which I'd be shocked it you could get that from another petrol.

He came from e90 manual 3 series diesel. Doesn't like electric power steering and finds the car bland in comparison to what he drove before. Averaging 49 mpg. I got the impression he thought car would do better overall.
    Finds the electric only range getting smaller too to the extent he thinks may be a fault.didn't mention brakes.

Personally I find the car a very nice steer and certainly more connected than f10 BMW
    The brakes take a bit of getting used to but are ok. I have m sport brakes so not sure if that makes a difference as more powerful.
    Runflats are much better now than even a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I rarely drive my OH's 330e but she has the same complaint- disconnected from the road. Economy is mind blowing, though we live a mere 10km from work. She has a history of 3 Series and doesn't think the driving feel matches any of the previous cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you want to feel more connected to the road as per older BMWs, fit it with runflats :P

He came from e90 manual 3 series diesel. Doesn't like electric power steering and finds the car bland in comparison to what he drove before. Averaging 49 mpg. I got the impression he thought car would do better overall.
    Finds the electric only range getting smaller too to the extent he thinks may be a fault.didn't mention brakes.

Personally I find the car a very nice steer and certainly more connected than f10 BMW
    The brakes take a bit of getting used to but are ok. I have m sport brakes so not sure if that makes a difference as more powerful.
    Runflats are much better now than even a couple of years ago.

I had an E90 M Sport a number of years ago and it was certainly more connected to the road than the F10. Steering was definitely more direct and weighted. I contributed most of that to the larger bulk of the F10. The G30 is supposed to be more back to basics regarding handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The comments regarding the 330e are interesting to say the least, as the reviews I read suggested it handled like a 3 series should, and if anything it did a good job of disguising its extra weight, because of course the batteries are so low down so the centre of gravity is lower and thus the handling should be more in keeping with the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' marketing hype.

What I've heard on several occasions though is that the modern BMWs aren't that special to drive unless they're fitted with the adaptive suspension option. Especially with the F10s, What Car in particular made a big song and dance about them being some distance off the 5 series of old for both ride and handling unless that option was selected. I seem to remember them saying that although the F30 was quite a nice car in standard guise, it was considerably better with the adaptive suspension option fitted.

Don't know how true any of this is, though, as I haven't driven one of the modern BMWs. Certainly the older ones are fantastic cars to drive, the E46 is a cracker of a car to drive, especially with that silky smooth six cylinder petrol engine under the bonnet.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new purchase. 18 miles each way and a charge point at work could be perfect. Throw up a picture or two of your new wheels.

WP_20170208_002_LI.jpg

WP_20170208_001%20Sm.jpg

WP_20170208_004_LI.jpg

The comments regarding the 330e are interesting to say the least, as the reviews I read suggested it handled like a 3 series should, and if anything it did a good job of disguising its extra weight, because of course the batteries are so low down so the centre of gravity is lower and thus the handling should be more in keeping with the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' marketing hype.

What I've heard on several occasions though is that the modern BMWs aren't that special to drive unless they're fitted with the adaptive suspension option. Especially with the F10s, What Car in particular made a big song and dance about them being some distance off the 5 series of old for both ride and handling unless that option was selected. I seem to remember them saying that although the F30 was quite a nice car in standard guise, it was considerably better with the adaptive suspension option fitted.

Don't know how true any of this is, though, as I haven't driven one of the modern BMWs. Certainly the older ones are fantastic cars to drive, the E46 is a cracker of a car to drive, especially with that silky smooth six cylinder petrol engine under the bonnet.

I've just come from the F30 M Sport running on 19" Runflats which I class as a stiff but acceptable setup. Been on the 330e M Sport for 2 days and definitely feel a softer suspension/wheel arrangement with the stock 18" wheels. Even though it feels this way I'm having no problems cornering. The biggest change for me is the regenerative system when I've my foot off the go pedal. Just feels like I'm breaking all the time.

Still getting used to it, nice to get into a warm car at 7.30a.m.

Looks great batfink. Doesn't say too much for your "local" dealer when you drove on past him as far as Galway!

I was in Sligo pricing a 330e and seriously considering buying but couldn't accept the trade in value they had on my car. Did find the salesman good apart from that though.

• Advertisement

Didn't want to drive past Sligo but trade in was nearly 5k difference. Salesman in Sligo was slow to come back to me, others quicker. I'll probably still go to Sligo for servicing. Forgot to say, I went to Athlone in the end.

Didn't want to drive past Sligo but trade in was nearly 5k difference. Salesman in Sligo was slow to come back to me, others quicker. I'll probably still go to Sligo for servicing. Forgot to say, I went to Athlone in the end.

That's a crazy difference. I'll keep an eye out for you on the roads up here.

I've just come from the F30 M Sport running on 19" Runflats which I class as a stiff but acceptable setup. Been on the 330e M Sport for 2 days and definitely feel a softer suspension/wheel arrangement with the stock 18" wheels. Even though it feels this way I'm having no problems cornering. The biggest change for me is the regenerative system when I've my foot off the go pedal. Just feels like I'm breaking all the time.

Still getting used to it, nice to get into a warm car at 7.30a.m.

I had 18" alloys on a 2013 f31 m sport and the ride on the 330e on 19" alloys is appreciably better I agree.
    I think they have changed the suspension set up. I think I remember reading something about this happening when the 4 series came out.
    The brakes do take a bit of getting used to alright but they are effective if lacking in feel.
    Estoril blue looks good.

Sligo wanted to keep the contribution when I called into them talking about a straight sale so it seems like they want to claw back that 4k by poor trade in value or by simply not giving it.

Had the car for a week now; like the power, smoothness and quietness but think the suspension a little soft.

Wondering why the car mats don't have a M on them and the key fobs are black and not blue. Little things really.

Heated steering wheel used twice in seven days and loving getting into a warm car in the morning:)

I don't think any of the M Sports variants have the logo engraved into the mats, at least my F10 doesn't anyway and neither did the E90 I had about 7 years ago.

My biggest gripe with the 3/4 Series is the manual handbrake. So used to convenience of the electric parking brake and auto hold function especially with the auto box. First world problem I know but having to release/pull the handbrake lever feels very 1990s to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

First thing I thought too when I sat in an F30, very backwards.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think any of the M Sports variants have the logo engraved into the mats, at least my F10 doesn't anyway and neither did the E90 I had about 7 years ago.

My biggest gripe with the 3/4 Series is the manual handbrake. So used to convenience of the electric parking brake and auto hold function especially with the auto box. First world problem I know but having to release/pull the handbrake lever feels very 1990s to me.

Surely they have a hill hold system independent of the parking brake? Most cars run this of the hydraulic brake circuit so wouldn't need the electric handbrake to add that option.
    Handbrake and even gear lever are starting to look old hat now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

First thing I thought too when I sat in an F30, very backwards.

And sideways :D
    I like the idea...

• Advertisement

Not keen on the manual handbrake and was one thing put me off as was used to electronic one.
    In regular use however I rarely engage it as the gearbox in park is ok to hold the car.
    Lot of reviewers especially American ones seem to love an old school manual handbrake but I bet the next 3 series has an electric one.

If anyone is interested apparently the 530e can now be configured on the BMW uk site.
    We get the same specs so should give an idea of what it comes with.
    I emailed BMW Ireland for prices out of curiosity but they say they haven't got them yet.

The M-Performance mats have the M logo on them. At least the ones I have do:

attachment.php?attachmentid=825585&stc=1&d=1362161829

They're only 1 variant of the mats that are available but you have to specify that you want these otherwise you'll get the plain black velour mats.

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely they have a hill hold system independent of the parking brake? Most cars run this of the hydraulic brake circuit so wouldn't need the electric handbrake to add that option.

Not sure if the F30 has the hill hold function to be honest. BMW charged extra for a split folding rear seat on the F10 too, not sure if the G30 is the same but would not be surprised.

No hill hold system on the f30 I'm afraid.

I love the look of the new Mercedes that have a clean centre console with no gear lever or brake. Bmw seem to be keeping a gear lever on all models for now albeit it is only really an electronic switch with no mechanical parts.

In the automatic F30 there is a kind of hill hold whereby when you let your foot off the brake, the car will actually hold on a hill and move forward on its own. Split folding rear seat is a €300 option AFAIK. ridiculous if you ask me! It's one thing I have been in need of a few times since buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

In the automatic F30 there is a kind of hill hold whereby when you let your foot off the brake, the car will actually hold on a hill and move forward on its own. Split folding rear seat is a €300 option AFAIK. ridiculous if you ask me! It's one thing I have been in need of a few times since buying.

If you have stop and go cruise control, the car holds on a hill after stopping, so the capability for hill hold is in there somewhere.

• Advertisement

No hill hold system on the f30 I'm afraid.

I love the look of the new Mercedes that have a clean centre console with no gear lever or brake. Bmw seem to be keeping a gear lever on all models for now albeit it is only really an electronic switch with no mechanical parts.
    I've said it before but there must be opportunity for entirely new cabin layout when gear change and brake are taken out of centre area. certainly in cars without transmission tunnel, you would have to assume there are numerous ways of opening the whole thing up.
    We have seen more and more closing up of cockpit around the driver. why not open up some space and have
    seating and controls fully adjustable.
    I'm sure there are things that could be improved.

Recently traded my manual F30, it also had the 'kind of hill hold'. On the electric handbrakes, the wife's car has it and I must admit I'm not a fan of it.

Struggling with the auto box a little, don't like it changing gear when I'm pushing through a corner. Started using the paddle shift if I'm in a hurry. Just my biased opinion:)

I've said it before but there must be opportunity for entirely new cabin layout when gear change and brake are taken out of centre area. certainly in cars without transmission tunnel, you would have to assume there are numerous ways of opening the whole thing up.
    We have seen more and more closing up of cockpit around the driver. why not open up some space and have

Tesla model s has a huge space in the centre as they have the same transmission stalk as Mercedes and no need for any functions here.
    You can spec a huge centre console for storage or leave it open.

Jaguar use the same ZF auto gearbox as BMW and they have used a dial (similar to the iDrive cursor) instead of a gear selector since the first XF was launched 10 years ago.

Struggling with the auto box a little, don't like it changing gear when I'm pushing through a corner. Started using the paddle shift if I'm in a hurry. Just my biased opinion:)

What you can do is use the paddles/lever to put it into "manual" and just drive it like an auto. It will only change up when you hit the top of the rev range and will drop gears itself when you slow down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Like the i3
    2017-BMW-i3-33-kwh-Terra-interior-via-warren-m.jpg

it's a poor looking effort but a start.

I specced up a 530e on the uk configurator to have a look and it appears to come with a better spec as standard than the lower models.
    It has 18" alloys and metallic as standard on se the same as other 530 models.
    If they get it in here as cheap or cheaper than 520d could be good buy if your not plodding on motorways.

I see bmw ireland have a finance example for the new 520d.
    The figures they have given are 51950 retail, 4000 contribution, 11840 deposit and 484 per month and 7.7%. By my crude calculations, the gfv would have to be 50% to make those figures work. That is my opinion is taking the piss and certainly steering customers into zero equity situation.

You would really want to be nuts or clueless to entertain PCP at those type of figures imo.

................. steering customers into zero equity situation.

That's the problem really when the customers are unsuspecting.

This feature is great actually in the morning.
    I don't pre programme it as depending on the cooperation we receive from kids in the morning my departure time changes. I use the button in the key fob to do it or the BMW connected app.
    The app is great also for sat nav destinations.

Are you using the app on an iPhone? Anyone know if the Android app is out? The BMW website went all German on me and I translated that to not out yet.

What else are you using the app for; finding the car, setting Satnav...

Thanks all.

Augeo wrote: »
    That's the problem really when the customers are unsuspecting.

They didn't mention the gfv at all for that example but as I say, it appears to be 50 percent.
    What they appear to be doing is offering a monthly similar to a low interest deal but hiding the interest cost with a stupid gfv that means you will owe them entire value of car when planning to trade in again.
    I can see them telling gullible customers that the very high guaranteed value is a bonus and that they have confidence in the product as opposed to mercedes with 37 percent gfv. The reality of course is very different.

Are you using the app on an iPhone? Anyone know if the Android app is out? The BMW website went all German on me and I translated that to not out yet.

What else are you using the app for; finding the car, setting Satnav...

Thanks all.

I use an iphone alright so don't know about android and mainly use it for the sat nav which is easy to use and very convenient for sending directions to the car.
    beyond that don't use it for much. You can check the charge status and turn on the lights lock/unlock etc.
    You can also get the stats for efficiency etc. which can be handy.
    If you're more into tech than me you can allow the app access to your email, calender etc.

This guy will give you the 4k contribution at least,seems keen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07EBjhLmylE

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement