Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Blazer wrote: »
    upto 6 years with less than 100k miles.
    I got my 2010 525d last year with 90k on the cloc.

The car I have now was purchased from a BMW dealer in 2015 with the warranty. It would've been 7 years old then but the mileage would've been well below what's required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I think bmw garages have always bought low and sold high but anecdotally and judging from asking prices on Carzone etc. seems to be getting worse in last few months.
    The stats for new car sales for the first two months this year were well below expectations for all Marques but bmw was way down and the new 5 not being available isn't the only reason.
    The contributions are supposed to end in March but it will be interesting to see what they introduce for 172 to boost numbers.

With regard to premium selection etc. I bought a two year old x5 years ago and the bmw warranty was worth its weight in gold and would happily pay a premium for it again if I was spending 40k plus on a used BMW.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I think bmw garages have always bought low and sold high but anecdotally and judging from asking prices on Carzone etc. seems to be getting worse in last few months.
    The stats for new car sales for the first two months this year were well below expectations for all Marques but bmw was way down and the new 5 not being available isn't the only reason.
    The contributions are supposed to end in March but it will be interesting to see what they introduce for 172 to boost numbers.

With regard to premium selection etc. I bought a two year old x5 years ago and the bmw warranty was worth its weight in gold and would happily pay a premium for it again if I was spending 40k plus on a used BMW.

What they don't tell you is that you can buy it yourself with no profit added on for the dealer. If you go with a high excess of say €600, your premium is about €500 for the year (model dependent). The dealer adds about €2,000 for the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MarkN wrote: »
    What they don't tell you is that you can buy it yourself with no profit added on for the dealer. If you go with a high excess of say €600, your premium is about €500 for the year (model dependent). The dealer adds about €2,000 for the cost.

how can you buy it that way mark?

Cyrus wrote: »
    how can you buy it that way mark?

You just ring them up and say here's a reg what's the price of a warranty. https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/Start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Is that the engine and gearbox only warranty price? I rang them last year and the warranty to match the dealer warranty was something like 1100 a year. Engine and gearbox was 500/600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

That doesn't put BMW in a good light, if you thought a warranty was worth its weight in gold on a 2 year old X5.

If I was buying something for that money, I'd only expect to be visiting the dealer for servicing.

Soarer wrote: »
    That doesn't put BMW in a good light, if you thought a warranty was worth its weight in gold on a 2 year old X5.

If I was buying something for that money, I'd only expect to be visiting the dealer for servicing.

Yeah
    I was not a happy camper with that car.
    Got rid reasonably quickly.
    Injector problems, gearbox failures, electrical issues...
    Was a lemon.
    I bought it at the height of the crash, when you couldn't give suv's away.
    Was loaded with kit and retailed at 110k euro new. I paid 47k when it was two years old with 24000 miles on it and thought I did well but was more thrilled the day I sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

mickdw wrote: »
    Just saw the new 5 on the road for the first time.
    No doubt it's a 5 series but I thought it was stunning. Looked longer and sleeker than the outgoing.

Saw one the other night coming home from the airport and actually thought it was the old one. Lights were the only thing that looked different. Disappointingly similar.

Harcrid wrote: »
    Is that the engine and gearbox only warranty price? I rang them last year and the warranty to match the dealer warranty was something like 1100 a year. Engine and gearbox was 500/600

No, comprehensive. As I said, high excess. Without any or very low, it was €1100 per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

RedorDead wrote: »
    Saw one the other night coming home from the airport and actually thought it was the old one. Lights were the only thing that looked different. Disappointingly similar.

German car designs these days are a bit like Hollywood movies, just remakes of the old but with slightly different variations of the same themes. Audi, VW, etc designers take the safe or lazy route of just giving customers something slightly different than before so not to offend or alienate them. New Audi A6 won't buck that trend either except maybe for some extra bits of chrome trim and party piece digital speedo/led lights. Mercedes are probably the only ones with a bit of thinking outside the conservative box at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

You can build the new 4 series LCI now on the configurator. Prices look like they have gone up around 2k or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Also possible to configure the 530e now via the following link:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/ssl/configurator.html#/ZM5D/S02TE/G30/esl/new/

the 4 series doesn't have any extra kit as standard to justify the price hike does it?

The 530e looks dear to me for what you get over the 330e.
    It is about 15k more for equivalent spec for me which is a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

the 4 series doesn't have any extra kit as standard to justify the price hike does it?

The 530e looks dear to me for what you get over the 330e.
    It is about 15k more for equivalent spec for me which is a fair bit.

Much more car in terms of fit, finish, comfort and space to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just priced a 530e with a spec i'd like, man the options fairly add up quickly, €13k without breaking a sweat and that's with no headlight upgrade and what i'd call a reasonable spec; no silly gimmicks in there like parking assist, gesture control or TV etc.

Total was €81k before grant, wheel option alone is €3k, they aren't holding back with pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What was your other 10k on?

I looked too. I would drive one with just 3k added but it would be far from special. That was adding f all apart from wheels.

I see a split folding rear seat is still a €500 option on the G30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Pity the 530e is so expensive and the entire range to a certain extent. Like for like I think they are about 7k above the f10 which is a big jump. Interesting to see how they sell. That said, I bought an used 01 530i e39 back in 2008 and the original invoice was in the glove box, it was 73k back 16 years ago. VRT rates had a lot to do with that though.

Bmw scoring a few own goals with people in the know these days, increasing APR to 7.9%, poor trade ins etc.....but maybe it's just the reality in the market these days.

Definitely a move towards moving 5 series away from 3, the 3 might be a big beneficiary here it is after all pretty much same size as an e39 which is a big car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

4 Series LCI gets the sliding armrest as standard - well worth the price increase.....

My first new 5 Series should be coming off a transporter tomorrow so looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Bog standard 520d SE in Metallic Black with Black Leather. Dealer said the standard 17's don't look too bad, which is hardly showering it in praise.

Colm Quinn bmw have an ad in the paper today with prices of new cars in stock.
    I thought the prices were eye watering.
    Manual 320d m sport 55k
    420d gran coupe 61k
    Cheapest 520d 54.5k

The prices seem to be creeping up of all the cars and the contributions make a small dent but lousy trade in deals and high Apr figures must be hurting them.

Re the 5 series I have seen a few now and the standard 17" alloys are a lot better in reality than they look on the configurator.
    Dual exhausts on a 520d a bit too much though. Style over substance.
    If I was spending what a nice 530e msport would cost i.e. 70k odd I'm afraid I would just buy the 530d or a used 730d.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Dual exhausts on a 520d a bit too much though. Style over substance.

Well there's a lot of smoke to clear.

Haven't seen the new one yet on standard wheels but the F10 doesnt look good on standard wheels. Needs 18's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Well there's a lot of smoke to clear.

Haven't seen the new one yet on standard wheels but the F10 doesnt look good on standard wheels. Needs 18's.

definitely...I've the 525D 3 litre version and 17s are way too narrow for it...looking for a set of 18/19s so I can put wider tires on it and get more grip on the road.

I see on the configurator there is now a 520d "efficient dynamics" which is more expensive than the regular 520d but has metallic and 18" alloys as standard which if you wanted these makes it better value.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What was your other 10k on?

Extras i'd deem fairly par for the course for this kind of car. 20" alloys, adaptive dampers, sunroof, comfort package and comfort seats, enhanced bluetooth, wood trim, HK audio, heated seats, heads up display.

No nappa leather or exclusive stuff, i'd call the above standard fare in this segment.
    If I was spending what a nice 530e msport would cost i.e. 70k odd I'm afraid I would just buy the 530d or a used 730d.

That's kind of the way i'm leaning, I priced up a 151 G11 730d from the UK and you can get one landed, VRT paid for €60k now, with 10k miles and a huge amount of standard kit. I might wait a year and get one through for €45k or so.

Extras i'd deem fairly par for the course for this kind of car. 20" alloys, adaptive dampers, sunroof, comfort package and comfort seats, enhanced bluetooth, wood trim, HK audio, heated seats, heads up display.

No nappa leather or exclusive stuff, i'd call the above standard fare in this segment.

That's kind of the way i'm leaning, I priced up a 151 G11 730d from the UK and you can get one landed, VRT paid for €60k now, with 10k miles and a huge amount of standard kit. I might wait a year and get one through for €45k or so.

I just wanna say from the outset that I'm in agreement that BMW have lost the plot with the pricing.

However.... a 5 series does not need 20" wheels, adaptive suspension etc - it is a saloon car that is the choice of wheels for many senior managers, accountants, business managers, heads of sales etc - it is not predominately a performance vehicle and the proof of this is the amount of F10 SE 520d versions you'll find on Carzone.

If you spec it up trying to make it into some sort of M5 wannabe then yeah, of course you'll end up with 20k worth of extras on it. What's enhanced Bluetooth? Does normal Bluetooth not make / receive calls and stream music from your phone?

A bit of common sense is needed when speccing up cars, it's far too easy to start ordering a pocket for your ski equipment, will it get used?! No.

Surely the leather seats come heated as standard? If not, they really have gone mad.

Unless the company is paying for it, you'd be crazy to pimp a 5 series with 20k of extras IMO.

For 40k, you'll struggle to find something not standard in a Mazda 6 Platinum that you've to pay extra for in the new 5 series. It's like as if BMW have said to hell with the competition!

€13k of extras I said, not €20k. Heated seats aren't standard no and really, no adaptive dampers, you class that as superfluous? An absolute must in my view, and every car reviewers under the suns view. Yes 20"s are far from necessary, but these modern body designs make anything smaller than 19" look lost and I personally have a taste for larger wheels.

Enhanced bluetooth is audio streaming, so no arsing about with SD cards or CDs. Things like €1300 for a sunroof is a rip. Of course everyone has their own tastes and budget, personally i'd like to add to that list above, but I wouldn't spec the car without those items if buying a new car, perhaps bar the heads up display which I haven't had before, but by all accounts is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Enhanced bluetooth also tends to include coupled external antenna for your mobile which is handy if like me you're with Three you don't want to lose coverage while your on a call and going along the M7, M4 or M9.

It usually includes wireless charging or a modular phone dock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Anyone know what the current GFV on the 330e Sport Saloon is ?

I'm looking at the 330e Sport Saloon 48,110

With the 7500 grant and VRT rebate 40610 isn't bad at all.

With a 4000 BMW contribution and 9k of my own deposit id be interested in knowing what the monthly repayments would be ?

I'm 10km from work so a hybrid would suit me well.

• Advertisement

Heated seats are standard alright as is audio streaming.
    Enhanced Bluetooth allows more than one phone to be paired simultaneously.
    Apparently this can be coded very easily so not worth paying for.
    There are loads of options that are not essential but would be nice to have.
    While Bmw's are much better equipped than before it's very easy to spend thousands over and above base price.
    However as one reasonably honest bmw salesman once said to me,"the more you spend, the more you lose."

If standard bluetooth can stream audio now, i'd be knocking it off so. Heated seats definitely showed up as on option on the 530e configurator.

Cork981 wrote: »

With a 4000 BMW contribution and 9k of my own deposit id be interested in knowing what the monthly repayments would be ?

You might want to do some maths first. While they might be giving you a 4k contribution they will be taking it back along with more money in the form of their high PCP interest. The PCP interest rate is something like 5.9% or 7.9% afaik so it's easy for them to give you 4k in the form of a contribution. Also to avail of the contribution the car has to be registered by the end of this month meaning you are buying a car already in stock so you won't be able to spec it your way from the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Enhanced Bluetooth..... Ffs.

Bluetooth has been allowing streaming for ten years plus.

Enhanced Bluetooth..Good jaysus

You also get sms text messages from your phone displayed on the idrive screen and can reply via voice activation. My 6 years old F10 had that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

bazz26 wrote: »
    You might want to do some maths first. While they might be giving you a 4k contribution they will be taking it back along with more money in the form of their high PCP interest. The PCP interest rate is something like 5.9% or 7.9% afaik so it's easy for them to give you 4k in the form of a contribution. Also to avail of the contribution the car has to be registered by the end of this month meaning you are buying a car already in stock so you won't be able to spec it your way from the factory.

Interesting....i'll call into Kearys tomorrow and see what kind of quote I can get.

I taught they'd try to honour the deal if they didn't the car I want in stock?

Unless BMW extend the offer beyond March 31st then it's not the dealer's choice as it's BMW who are giving the contribution.

Cork981 wrote: »

Quotes Ive had have taken the 2500 rebate off the topline price giving a price of 45610 in your case.
    They then apply the 4000 contribution and the 5000 grant into deposit.
    max deposit is 30% of 45610 = 13683 leaving only 4683 deposit from yourself to make max deposit.
    GFV of 44% of 45610 = 20,068
    Applying 7.9 percent interest that deal would work out at €504 per month with the 4683 deposit.
    Applying the figures in different ways will affect how much deposit you can put in etc but it will all work out basically the same at the end. Im not too sure what they are now basing the gfv on. Realistically they should be taking it as a percentage of the reduced price after grants but they were not doing that a few months back anyway. Still if you only have to put in circa 5k, having zero equity at end of term would not be so frightening. There are deals out there where you put in 15k and to be honest you may see little of that back at end of term.

F10 did Bluetooth audio streaming so that must be standard, I bought a Qashqai last weekend and that can pair more than one phone at the same time.

Dampers, I've never had them so I can't speak from experience and I'm sure they're a thing where if you have them it's a hard to go back, I've always been that way about xenons but as I don't leave Dublin much, they wouldn't be top of my list.

Even the €2,000 increase in the LCI 4 series, for what?!

Not singling you out Voodoo or anything just saying in general that 20 or even 13k worth of toys is heavy bananas on a car that *should* have a lot of these things as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd say the heated seats option is for the rear as front heated has been standard on the F10 since 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I'm glad there are people like yourself out there VoodooMelon that spec up their cars well as it is what I would look for in a 2nd hand car (where I don't have to pay for it!). But spending 13k on extras is an awful lot of money on extras on what is still 'just a 5 series'.

Ex bmw management cars always seem to be very well kitted out as I suppose the cost is negligible to them.
    If you can get one of these they can be a bit better value.

Very hard to live without heated rear seats I suppose?

Yep, my F10 was a BMW management car and came with some nice extras. My last F10 had rear heated seats they were very rarely used so don't miss them.

It's like anything though, Vodoomelon is coming from a 7 Series where most of this stuff is standard on that class of car. To retain the 7 Series's level of spec on a 5 Series involves ticking a lot of options. I recently speced a 330e with similar toys as my F10 and even being conservative the 330e was just over 60k which is nuts for a 3 Series when you think of it.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I'm glad there are people like yourself out there VoodooMelon that spec up their cars well as it is what I would look for in a 2nd hand car (where I don't have to pay for it!). But spending 13k on extras is an awful lot of money on extras on what is still 'just a 5 series'.

Spec them up in fantasy land you mean :); I've yet to take the plunge on a new car and do much the same as you. Hence why I picked up a €144,000 7 for a tenth of the original price.

But the allure of a new car is always there as the running costs compared to what i'm paying at the moment aren't all that different to repayments and I think the 5 is finally up to [dons snob hat] a standard i'd be very happy with. Problem is, like everyones saying, you have to pay through the nose for decent extras.

^^ Note that 7s don't come with a lot of that gear I mentioned, they'd have to be added additionally too.

Went to M&G today, wanted to drive the G30, got some figures done up, spoke about the 330e which still has the €11,000 off before end of March with the BMW contribution.

G30 really lovely, very refined, handling extremely impressive. Felt smaller than F10 inside. Or more wrap around, not sure. Gesture control is only €200, I was expecting a bit more.

Waiting to hear more in the morning regarding an m-sport G30 and 330e and more nailed down figures. Will know about what 330e models are in stock too as couldn't do an order at this stage with March 31st not being a million miles away.

There was another €1,000 for my car too which was actually sold originally by the guy I was dealing with today - €115,000 was the price of it in 2008, mad considering 9 years later with 90,000kms it's worth €16/17,000 but that's depreciation for you.

I use M&G for servicing but wasn't too familiar with their sales, so far very nice to deal with compared to another particular BMW dealer in Dublin.

Are you still thinking of changing Mark so? Presume the 11 is 7.5 grants and 4 contribution?
    I would guess that they won't end in March but maybe they will. In the U.K. They just seem to tweak them every quarter along with the finance Apr.
    With their current sales figures being lower they will have some incentives for sure.
    What 5 did you drive and what are you interested in?

Are you still thinking of changing Mark so? Presume the 11 is 7.5 grants and 4 contribution?
    I would guess that they won't end in March but maybe they will. In the U.K. They just seem to tweak them every quarter along with the finance Apr.
    With their current sales figures being lower they will have some incentives for sure.
    What 5 did you drive and what are you interested in?

520d, the demo M&G have that they've used in their sales video etc - it's well specced, charging point for phone, heads up display etc etc etc - obviously a bit gutless mid range compared to the engine I'm used to, gear changes much smoother though, better again than the F10 I thought. He mentioned the 530e but didn't know enough about the finer details just yet.

Yeah that seems to be the bones of the 330e grant, I reckon I can get a further €1,000 off if I was to go for it. Mechanic I know said they sound very clinical and strange, I haven't driven one yet obviously.

What I'm interested in for sure, I'm not quite sure. If I'd the choice, probably a G30 but the figures may make only a 330e seem like sense. Would I trade the 635 for a G30, yeah. For a 330e, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

MarkN wrote: »
    I use M&G for servicing but wasn't too familiar with their sales, so far very nice to deal with compared to another particular BMW dealer in Dublin.

Come to cork.... It's an experience :rolleyes:

Dealers around the country got a good few G30 demo models and most of them are decent spec especially the M Sports but they are pricey, asking €65k to €70k.

From my youtube feed, BMW dealer in Leeds have some nice demos including this G30 530d:

Going from a 635d to a 520d will be a fair come down in power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Saw the g30 for the first time about an hour ago. It was dark but sitting under a street light I automatically knew it was a new one before I saw the reg. Internet pictures made it look very like the f10 but not in the flesh.

Looks closer to a 7 than a 3, explains big jump in pricing too. But it is a very aggressive and good looking machine. I assume it was the sport model

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement