Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep I thought similar when I saw one in the flesh. Clearly a 5 series I thought but much sharper looking.

A bmw dealer rang me again today about my interest in 330e. This is same guy who refused to offer the 4k contribution previously - He is offering it now though.
    Might pay him another visit but actually getting a car to drive seems to be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

A bmw dealer rang me again today about my interest in 330e. This is same guy who refused to offer the 4k contribution previously - He is offering it now though.
    Might pay him another visit but actually getting a car to drive seems to be an issue.[/quote]

Might be trying to hit a few numbers before the end of March and following up on his contacts?
    Maybe not so cocky now that new car sales are slowly tanking and Bmw's figures are poor this year.

Really can't see you going 520d markn.
    You will miss the effortless power too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

It would be a bit of a change alright, power down a good bit and noticed it today on the small bit of road where there wasn't traffic.

In an ideal world, I'd be buying petrol. The only real option for petrol in a BMW at the moment is probably an EV.

I also found out by seeing the order for my car that some little fook swapped the wheels on my car at some stage - it came from the factory with these. :(

Still think a used 640d would be better job for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Seanosullivan2

I'm looking at importing a 2012/2013 320d sport from Uk and Mileage seems to be the greatest factor with prices from dealers(won't be buying private).

Would I be mad to buy a car in and around the 100k mile mark? Will get history and inspection obviously.

Have seen some with very good spec ranging from 45-50k for £13k and some approaching 100k for under £11k. e.g 87k miles for £10,400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I generally buy on value, not on price... Depends how long you want to keep the car. What kind of mileage you do and how long you intend on keeping it? €1 is getting near 88p right now...

lads in a year will you be able to bring these in used from the uk and still get the rebates from revenue?

what I am getting at, at the prices mentioned, wont depreciation be savage?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    lads in a year will you be able to bring these in used from the uk and still get the rebates from revenue?

Guaranteed future value after 48 months is €17,000 odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

You get the VRT credit (which is €2,500 and reduced with by about €250 a year for older vehicles) but not the SEAI grant. If you are buying from the UK the car has probably already had the UK grant applied which for a long time was roughly similar (up to april of last year it was £5000).

I'd say they'll hold up very well, demand is still outstripping what the factory can supply and that will keep used values high.

What's the road tax on them does anyone know?

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    What's the road tax on them does anyone know?

170 euro per year.
    Cheap performance really.

Had a look at the 330e today.
    Very impressive power. feels better than 250 bhp.
    Buying straight and looking at cars out of current stock, I still couldn't get anything near what I would consider a suitable discount.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

mickdw wrote: »
    Had a look at the 330e today.
    Very impressive power. feels better than 250 bhp.
    Buying straight and looking at cars out of current stock, I still couldn't get anything near what I would consider a suitable discount.

What type of % were you getting?

Thought you had ruled out 330e mick?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Thought you had ruled out 330e mick?

Never rule out anything :D

Different priorities at the moment, but still interested to see how they are selling, what deals are available.
    I did enjoy the drive and spotted a few nice M Sport ones around recently.

Saw an edrive X5 on Sun. Substantially cheaper to run than this time 10 years ago anyway!

mik_da_man wrote: »
    What type of % were you getting?

1200 quid off an Msport in stock that had about 4k of random spec.
    poorest deal I've ever seen.
    So basically they wanted me to take the car from stock, pay full retail price on it including full price for the extra spec items then only knock 1200 off for straight sale.
    They were trying to push that the 4k contribution is disappearing end of month but I'm sure there would be an improved interest rate or something similar along to balance that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

mickdw wrote: »
    They were trying to push that the 4k contribution is disappearing end of month but I'm sure there would be an improved interest rate or something similar along to balance that.

I have heard that after the 31st the contributions will be halved for the rest of the 171 period. Heard this from a sales guy when specing up a g30 with ~12 week lead time on delivery.

Given the loss in market share to merc and audi i would imagine there will have to be something similar or better in 172 time frame.

djivide_ wrote: »
    I have heard that after the 31st the contributions will be halved for the rest of the 171 period. Heard this from a sales guy when specing up a g30 with ~12 week lead time on delivery.

Given the loss in market share to merc and audi i would imagine there will have to be something similar or better in 172 time frame.

Yes. Guy I know was in looking last week and told the same,that contributions are halving after March.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Yes. Guy I know was in looking last week and told the same,that contributions are halving after March.

Heard half too. Maybe €2,000 off the 5.

I don't know the answer to this but I guess any potential incentives based on poor sales here in Ireland would have to be replicated in bigger markets for BMW for them to start worrying about driving sales with continuing discounts or cheaper rates. We must be a small enough territory for them!

Where VW are offering €2,000 contribution on some models here, the same models are getting £1,200 over in Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Quick question for any technical people here. I have my car just over a month, really enjoying it. I've just done about 1k in it and taking it very handy with the petrol engine, not revving it beyond about 3000 rpm. Thing is with the electric engine providing more than 50% of that it will be months before I can enjoy the true potential of the car! Am I being too conservative here? I remember reading the pistons etc have improved shock capacity because of constant potential cycling of the engine. Is this true?

Btw the fuel economy has been very impressive so far. Managed to do 900km on 45litres. Something like 70mpg..without trying at all..

Drive her on I say. You've more than done enough anyway.

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Btw the fuel economy has been very impressive so far. Managed to do 900km on 45litres. Something like 70mpg..without trying at all..

Unless my math is way off that is ~56 mpg.

Out of interest what kind of driving are you doing,
    ie is it fully charged every evening?
    how many km traveled per charge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Difference in 70mpg and 56mpg I would say is UK and US gallons. 56mpg is what we would call it here for 900km to 45 litres of fuel, which depending on how often you are charging the car isn't great considering the fuel economy is one of the main selling points of a PHEV.

other way around vintagevrs, us mpg would be just over 47mpg

djivide_ wrote: »
    other way around vintagevrs, us mpg would be just over 47mpg

Ah yes :o

Funny though the discrepancy from 56mpg to 70mpg was similar to 4/4.5,

Thanks for keeping me honest!

Quick question for any technical people here. I have my car just over a month, really enjoying it. I've just done about 1k in it and taking it very handy with the petrol engine, not revving it beyond about 3000 rpm. Thing is with the electric engine providing more than 50% of that it will be months before I can enjoy the true potential of the car! Am I being too conservative here? I remember reading the pistons etc have improved shock capacity because of constant potential cycling of the engine. Is this true?

Just drive it however you want.
    The engine gets smoother and faster after a few thousand kms.
    I'm getting 50 mpg overall.
    Don't think this is a car you buy purely for fuel saving. The performance and the drive are too good to save a bit of fuel.
    Anyway any savings are trivial after spending 45k+ on a car that is depreciating.

Ah forgot about the US gallons.. damn internet. Driving mix is about 40% start/stop urban. 20% at about 80 and the rest 120 plus on the motorway. Bearing in mind that mix in a brand new engine, I'd say even 56 is a very good "real world" figure. Most importantly I bought it for the performance, find me another 252bhp car that could come close to that in real life.

I agree moe.car is a great blend of performance and reasonable running costs.
    You don't buy it for outright economy and in fairness bmw don't market it as being for economy. They call it "i performance" for a reason I suppose to market it as such.

• Advertisement

find me another 252bhp car that could come close to that in real life.

330d :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

vintagevrs wrote: »
    330d :pac:

In real life? Not the F30 330d anyway...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/3-series-f30-2012/330d

The "Real MPG Average" for the 330e on the same site is almost 10mpg higher.

Fuelly has similar numbers: http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/330d/2015 http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/330e/2017

Really depends on the type of driving, especially for the 330e which in theory could use no petrol at all, or return 320i figures depending on how it is used.

I had a 330d and averaged 41 mpg versus 50 in the 330e doing the same type of driving as I do now.
    Both have advantages over the other.
    If I needed to do more longer journeys the diesel would be the choice from a fuel point of view. Although I have a feeling diesel fuel may be getting taxed more over next few years.
    There's not much in them accelerating but ultimately I think the 330d may be a little quicker due to the higher torque.
    330e handles a lot better though.
    Problem was the 330d retailed 15 k more for equivalent spec 330e.

And that's the rub. The 330d is a great car if you are pounding down the motorways consistently, however the 12-15k price difference makes it a nonsense. But it does very much depend on the type of driving you do in fairness.

My commute is 17 miles and in colder weather the 330d engine took so long to warm up that I would still be frozen in the car when I arrived at work.
    With the 330e the cabin is pre warmed so very nice.
    A small thing but a nice feature.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 17 each way or return journey?

I am interested in a 530e and like yourself its more about the price difference
    between 530d and 530e (assuming the list price does not include the 7500
    grants) for a performance level. My daily commute is around 66km return so
    41.25 miles, starting and ending with a bit of motorway and mixed urban in
    between. I know its probably a bit more than the ideal distance but am going
    to have a look at one when they are available here.

is it not a bit much having to connect this every day, to save a few on fuel, when depreciation will be a staggering amount? why not just get a tesla 3 etc? something totally electric with serious range, that doesnt need to be plugged in every day if only doing 66km

My commute is 17 miles each way of some urban and then most 100 km/h roads.
    Economy wise works for me ok but I'm not hung up on driving for max efficiency.
    530e starts just over 55k after grants for se model. Presume 530d closer to 70k?
    Worth test drive when it comes out I suppose to see if it suits your lifestyle.

would you be tempted to go for the merc e class? E48k for the entry level diesel with their current offer...

is it not a bit much having to connect this every day, to save a few on fuel, when depreciation will be a staggering amount? why not just get a tesla 3 etc? something totally electric with serious range, that doesnt need to be plugged in every day if only doing 66km

Tesla 3 wont be out here for ages. huge waiting list for them so i would imagine not going to see one until 2019/2020 in ireland.

As for the plugging in it has been confirmed that the 530e can be shipped with wireless charging, put down a plate in the ground and just park over it and it will automatically charge, not that it would bother me to plug it in when i get home in the evening and have the car warmed up in the mornings during the winter :)
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970390

• Advertisement

wireless charging is class! I really think that electric will start growing fast with the better technology and real world range...

would you be tempted to go for the merc e class? E48k for the entry level diesel with their current offer...

Merc styling just doesn't do anything for me, maybe when I have another 20 years under my belt.

yeah matter of taste I suppose, I have driven bm for years (still do) and the bro has two of them. I just love the current mercs personally, I just think they feel more prestigious than bm as there are so few of them around in comparison...

I thought the e220d was disappointing. The large glass display is great but most here do the have it.
    Lovely looking car though in amg trim.
    I thought the engine was just completely wrong for the car,
    making more noise than speed when called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Anyone else get an invite to the BMW event at Mondello?

"At our event, you can experience the new BMW 5 Series on a racetrack, discover the new world of semi-autonomous driving and see how the future is at your fingertips with interactive technology demonstrations from BMW experts. There will also be an opportunity to experience the power of a BMW M car with a professional driver."

Definitely trying to nail down a date for this.

Anyone else get an invite to the BMW event at Mondello?

"At our event, you can experience the new BMW 5 Series on a racetrack, discover the new world of semi-autonomous driving and see how the future is at your fingertips with interactive technology demonstrations from BMW experts. There will also be an opportunity to experience the power of a BMW M car with a professional driver."

Definitely trying to nail down a date for this.

I got this invite too.
    Too much on to take it up but doesn't sound anything wonderful to me anyway.
    Also probably too worried I might succumb to a new 5 series if I went on it.
    I also got invited by my dealer to a special sales event this week for "unbeatable" bargains. Desperate stuff.
    I reckon bmw figures to end of March are going to be dreadful. I expect a lot of pre regging to go on in all marques but guess there will be a lot of 171 beemers with zero miles for sale.
    New car sales in general have slowed significantly apparently.

Yeah, they emailed me three times about that Mondello thing. Then called me yesterday as I didn't reply to the email. Must not be filling as fast as they thought it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

Are they charging for the Mondello trip? I done it last year and enjoyed it, only pity was they had no petrol cars to drive on the track, all were x20d cars which was a pity.

I see frank Keane have a nicely speced 162 430d with no miles for €51k. Seems like a great deal to be fair, I wouldn't have been shocked if it was €61k actually.

Mondello trip is free but its mainly to show off the tech in the new 5.

There will be a lot more pre reg cars for sale this year is my guess.
    The 430d is ok value but your car will be consequently worth less too.

I had a dealer that I hadn't contacted for months call after 6 this evening trying to shift a 330e before end of the month and said there would be significant discount available. The 2 he has in stock wouldn't suit though.
    I see the new 'deals' are up on website. I see the 5 series for example has 2k off now but with a better interest rate so in reality if financing with bmw, there is no difference between this deal and the earlier 4k off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement