Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

AmberGold wrote: »
    Good points, for and against. Not helped by BMW dealers being sketchy on Finance offers, packages etc. Same car same deposit, difference of €100pm on PCP from 2 different dealers, haven't worked out what's going on. Will meet them next week to thrash it out in detail.

My reckoning is the price of the car (52k in my case) is reduced by 7.5k (VRT reduction and Grant) less BMW economics contribution of 5k, the shadow line is also being thrown in for free.

The max deposit allowable is 13.5k or so and the final or balloon is 23k leaving 36 monthly payments of 370 or so. For the type of driving I do I reckon I'll save €200 on fuel pm. For me it's a no brainier.

Having had both 5's and 3's I always preferred the 3, now the rear leg room in the F30 is nearly the same as the F10(my current motor) I'm finding it hard no to move on this.

Having said all that it's early days for mainstream EV, can't help thinking back to the BiFuel Volvos that never took off a few years back. Those that bought paid the price for moving early.

Any thoughts on the 530e? I'm looking at changing to a 5 in the next few months and weighing up between the 530e and the 530d. 530e is quite a bit cheaper and would save me money but would lack the power of the diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Good points, for and against. Not helped by BMW dealers being sketchy on Finance offers, packages etc. Same car same deposit, difference of €100pm on PCP from 2 different dealers, haven't worked out what's going on. Will meet them next week to thrash it out in detail.

My reckoning is the price of the car (52k in my case) is reduced by 7.5k (VRT reduction and Grant) less BMW economics contribution of 5k, the shadow line is also being thrown in for free.

The max deposit allowable is 13.5k or so and the final or balloon is 23k leaving 36 monthly payments of 370 or so. For the type of driving I do I reckon I'll save €200 on fuel pm. For me it's a no brainier.

Having had both 5's and 3's I always preferred the 3, now the rear leg room in the F30 is nearly the same as the F10(my current motor) I'm finding it hard no to move on this.

Having said all that it's early days for mainstream EV, can't help thinking back to the BiFuel Volvos that never took off a few years back. Those that bought paid the price for moving early.
    The dealers are nuts. Colm Quinn has an msport that was 57k new before grants etc on a 171 plate and he is looking for 46k for it when i can spec a brand new one to same value and own it for 44.5k
    I guess they can ask what they like but todays newspaper ad where they have that car up as 'saving 11,600' is scandalous imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

digiman wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the 530e? I'm looking at changing to a 5 in the next few months and weighing up between the 530e and the 530d. 530e is quite a bit cheaper and would save me money but would lack the power of the diesel.

Read a few reviews on the 530e and it doesn't seem to be underpowered at all. 6 sec to 60 mph is pretty decent. It's a funny time to be buying a big exec car at the moment with all the available options and talk of increases tax on some fuels and incentives for others. Depreciation on anything remotely premium with brexit/exchange rates and PCPs is absolutely eye watering at the moment if you change regularly.

It's kind of holding me back from spending decent money on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

A friend has the 530e and reckons its a rocket. Can't stretch that far myself as a serious uplift on the 3 for what is essentially the same engine.

mickdw wrote: »
    The dealers are nuts. Colm Quinn has an msport that was 57k new before grants etc on a 171 plate and he is looking for 46k for it when i can spec a brand new one to same value and own it for 44.5k
    I guess they can ask what they like but todays newspaper ad where they have that car up as 'saving 11,600' is scandalous imo.

Haven't seen the Ad but with the savings of the VRT + Rebate + BMW economics + whatever the shadow line costs must be in excess of 11,600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There's no discount on Shadow Lines. €2,500 on SE , €5,000 on M-Sports but nowt on Shadow Lines.

R.O.R wrote: »
    There's no discount on Shadow Lines. €2,500 on SE , €5,000 on M-Sports but nowt on Shadow Lines.

What's the base price of an SE, M Sport and shadowline so?

Can't see them shifting any shadowline if there is a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

As far as I understand the 5k contrubution is not available on shadow line.
    That is certainly what is shown on the offers on the website.

Re 530e versus 530d. It depends on how much the gap between the two is retail and what your driving is like i.e. urban or motorway. Remember when you go to sell you won't get the difference between the 530d and a 520d back.
    I have driven the new 520d and if I was in the market would stretch to a 5.
    It really is a step up from a 3. The 330e is very refined for a 3 series so I guess a 530e would be even better.
    The new model 330e when it comes is likely to have the same drive train and if the current BMW policy continues will be priced a lot higher than it currently is so won't be the performance bargain the model currently is.

bmwguy wrote: »

https://www.bmw.ie/content/dam/bmw/marketIE/bmw_ie/pdf/BMW3Offers.pdf.asset.1497536289393.pdf

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »

Yep it's deceiving all right. Having said that for the MSport plus pack inclusive of the brakes, wheels, Harmon Kardon, Windows and grill it's still a good offer.

Yep it's deceiving all right. Having said that for the MSport plus pack inclusive of the brakes, wheels, Harmon Kardon, Windows and grill it's still a good offer.

Are they offering all that for regular m sport price now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

saving 5,000 on fuel over two years isnt going to look to great when the car is worth 20,000 less in two years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where are all these 2 year old 330e for 20k less?

people buying the current model now, I reckon 20k is about accurate for one year after the new model has launched... Look at what you can bring 2 year old 330e in for from the uk now, not far off half the new price. So what will it be like when the new model arrives?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/weak-sterling-prompts-spike-in-uk-car-imports-1.3149446

Weak sterling prompts spike in UK car imports
    Experts suggest Irish consumers are ditching the purchase of mainstream models here in favour of buying used, premium brands in the UK.

E40,230 is what you purchase the 330e SE saloon for in the uk, its E50,110 here. That's going from prices on bmw.co.uk and bmw.ie today...

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Are they offering all that for regular m sport price now?

Yes, that's the deal, included now at the MSport price.

• Advertisement

So shadow line for regular m sport price and 5 k contributions given as well?
    They must be desperate for sales if that's the deal. Seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Idbatterim wrote: »

E40,230 is what you purchase the 330e SE saloon for in the uk, its E50,110 here. That's going from prices on bmw.co.uk and bmw.ie today...

Isn't 50,110 before the 12,500 comes off from the grant, VRT and BMW contribution?

TBH Dealer seemed unclear, this chart does clear it up though.

https://www.bmw.ie/content/dam/bmw/marketIE/bmw_ie/pdf/172Overview1.03.pdf

330e m sport with 15k miles in UK asking 22k. 2016 car.
    That's about 25000 euro with 2k vrt charge I think.
    So that's a car landed and registered in Ireland for about 27k. For a 1 year old. Great value to be honest compared to a new price in Ireland.
    Next year logically we could be looking at getting a 2016 one from uk for 20k euro all in.

That said, I will probably stick with the big(ish) engined petrols that are cheap to buy and just pay the running and maintenance costs.

That said, I will probably stick with the big(ish) engined petrols that are cheap to buy and just pay the running and maintenance costs.
    yip thats my plan, waiting for the right S500 to come up. Its threads like this that remind you how its a new 330e that costs a fortune to own, not an s350 - 500 etc!

• Advertisement

yip thats my plan, waiting for the right S500 to come up. Its threads like this that remind you how its a new 330e that costs a fortune to own, not an s350 - 500 etc!

No harm looking and talking about what cars we like and the new stuff available but when it comes down to it I usually just go for something with cheap initial outlay for cash. Have a family member mechanic that puts things right if they ever go wrong, not that much does anyway.
    My current love is a 6 series 630i. Although with work my mileage has drastically increased so 635d is on radar too.

My current love is a 6 series 630i. Although with work my mileage has drastically increased so 635d is on radar too.
    the 635d attract a serious premium over the petrol versions as I am sure you know. Would you lpg the 630?

the 635d attract a serious premium over the petrol versions as I am sure you know. Would you lpg the 630?

Yes if I go down this route and find a car I like and happy to keep for a good few years I would LPG it no problem.

I really dont know what to do to be honest. First thing this month is get a 15 month NCT on the 523i and put it up for sale see what I can get for it.

Not buying anything before selling it this time, I have tended to do that in the past and made silly mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

bmwguy wrote: »

None registered month to date in July

I spoke to the service manager on the dealer I bought my 3 series in yesterday.
    He said new car sales side very poor and 172 was a non event. Secondhand side of things is busy he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ Mental, 6 months ago I was told the exact opposite by BMW. Goes without saying with the start of the year and all that, but second hand sales were non existant. I believe the words were along the lines of "you'd be mad to buy a year old" [when a new one costs xxx].

Does the regenerative braking do much on a 330e from a charging perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

He said new car sales side very poor and 172 was a non event. Secondhand side of things is busy he said.

They do some crazy things in BMW - they pre regged something like 250-300 new cars in June right at the end of the 171 plate and against natural flow of the market.

If new car business is quiet with 5k off a 3 Series, 4k off a 1 Series and 2k off an X1 then they're rightly f*cked.

The problem is that they were offering discounts off the list prices in one hand and then taking it back through poor trade in values and/or high PCP interest rates in the other.

Looks like sales across the board and slumping, I guess drives to sell cars through cheap PCP and scrappage deals have saturated the small Irish market, if people bought a new car last year then chances are they are not in the market for a new one this year unless they have more money than good sense or someone else is paying for it. 2018 will be an interesting year for the motor trade here.

I have a few thoughts on the motoring industry challenges at the moment. Specifically in the premium segment.

1- Cheap sterling making used imports attractive from UK

2- And this is an unusual one and perhaps related to point 1. The perceived attractiveness of PCP for people a few years ago is working against the industry now. The cars are coming back and people not getting into a new car as easy as they thought because used values have dropped a bit related to sterling. The trade in values on 2 and 3 year old expensive cars is poor.

3- Techology in fuel. There is a bit of uncertainty around taxation and restrictions on diesels especially making people hold off on making big purchasing decisions.

4- Related to electric/hybrid/phev cars the charging network is not here yet. Most people would love to have one including myself but I am uncertain how it would work in reality. I don't have time to plan my journeys in work around charging points and to be making big diversions.

5- Specifically to BMW as this is a 330e thread. They have made the pricing complex between dealer contributions, deposits, monthly payments, gfmv etc....Plus the staff in the dealers are not in the least bit clued in about the cars. Techical knowledge poor in the 2 dealers I visited. I wanted to test drive a 330e and I was offered a spin in a 320d in one. The other said he would get one in for me but never called back. I was semi-serious about buying one too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

So, back on topic...

Last week I got a recall/quality improvement text and was asked to call BMW for my 1 year old 330e.
    They picked it up from my house Monday morning and dropped it back just after lunch. Excellent service I thought.
    However, they could not tell me what they changed apart from it being "the software".
    Also, on getting it back, it was filthy. Like it was washed in very dirty water and not dried, so it was covered in residue. In fairness, they hovered the inside which was needed.

I got a call yesterday from the dealer asking about my experience and I was very appreciative of them collecting the car and hovering and "attempting" to wash, but I still didn't know what they changed and also said I needed to go out and wash it after their really poor attempt (I have a dashcam and saw how it was done - wet with power washer, use what could be a floor brush with soapy water and kind of rinse it off). The water with the soap must have been filthy as they went from one car to mine with the same soapy bucket.

I got a call back today in fairness. The change was to do with the software for the "engine". He explained a little probably from reading the notes, but I don't think he understood any of it himself.

Long story short, I notice no real difference apart from now a full charge will report a range of 35km whereas before it was 25-27. Not sure if that is the result of a reset and it will go back down when it realises how I drive, so time will tell.
    He also apologized for the bad wash.

I often achieve more on full electric than what the range the car tells me I have will be initially. I must see about the software update for mine.
    I have also never had a car more climate dependant. I leave the climate control in auto at 21degrees and drive usually in comfort mode and auto e drive.
    Since the weather has gotten milder over the last 4/5 months my mpg has steadily climbed without any changes from me.
    My long term economy is now 55mpg according to trip computer.I know all cars perform more economically in the milder weather but this car seems to vary more.
    I presume the batteries were draining in the winter to keep the cabin warm.

Considering the performance and smoothness of the car this economy is great however the depreciation disaster I have bought according to other posters here means this pales into insignificance I suppose.

I read all the stories about the availability of 330e's from the UK for < €30k, but I don't see that this would be specific to the hybrid. Any over supply should affect the entire 3 series range because let's face it, it is superior to the more common 3 series you see on the Irish roads and should be in much more demand, once the model becomes more well known. The weakness of sterling should affect all imports.

Now, I don't know what BMW are like, but to me, common business sense from them says that they have to raise the UK list price because the weakness of sterling will hammer the Irish market.
    People can come up with all the reasons they want for why this car should depreciate more than what is considered normal, but I just think that there is little demand for these at the moment because no one knows much about them. The newer model will affect the future, but it is too early now considering we may not see the new model here for another 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

MaceFace wrote: »
    I read all the stories about the availability of 330e's from the UK for < €30k, but I don't see that this would be specific to the hybrid. Any over supply should affect the entire 3 series range because let's face it, it is superior to the more common 3 series you see on the Irish roads and should be in much more demand, once the model becomes more well known. The weakness of sterling should affect all imports.

Now, I don't know what BMW are like, but to me, common business sense from them says that they have to raise the UK list price because the weakness of sterling will hammer the Irish market.
    People can come up with all the reasons they want for why this car should depreciate more than what is considered normal, but I just think that there is little demand for these at the moment because no one knows much about them. The newer model will affect the future, but it is too early now considering we may not see the new model here for another 18 months.

The reason the import of a hybrid could be more appealing is the lower vrt rate charged on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any chance this is on the Ballysimon road and starts with a C?
    Every goddamn time I drop my car in for a service etc they still wash it even though I specifically tell them not to wash it as its crap and destroys my detailing job.

Blazer wrote: »

Any chance this is on the Ballysimon road and starts with a C?
    Every goddamn time I drop my car in for a service etc they still wash it even though I specifically tell them not to wash it as its crap and destroys my detailing job.
    Nope. Dealer in Kildare.

That's their other dealership I think?

That's their other dealership I think?
    Yep, checked and your right

Just had a look at the BMW configurator and they have the shadow line m sport up now.
    Seems excellent value. 3k less than standard m sport and all the extra m sport plus kit included too. Lovely new style wheels too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Just had a look at the BMW configurator and they have the shadow line m sport up now.
    Seems excellent value. 3k less than standard m sport and all the extra m sport plus kit included too. Lovely new style wheels too.

Pity they didn't apply the same pricing principle on the 3.0L models though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Have been told the same in the dealership I deal with. He was surprised at how strong used stuff was selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Vrt will bump up the price nicely.

So the BMW Economics reduction is made up of the Extras (which seems like the old MSport Plus package albeit modified) and the 3K reduction. Then subtract the 7K or so Grant / VRT reduction. Tempting...

So the BMW Economics reduction is made up of the Extras (which seems like the old MSport Plus package albeit modified) and the 3K reduction. Then subtract the 7K or so Grant / VRT reduction. Tempting...

Yeah. Isuppose if they don't give the 5k on the shadow line but do on msport with the plus pack then they work out more or less the same price in the end.

• Advertisement

I see Frank Keane have a 2016 330e M Sport in Alpine White for sale @ 36k. No photos or details of spec in the advert.

Actually here it is:

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1788123&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D10%26o%5B%5D%3D86%26f%3D1%26s%3Dd%26b%3D1%26yn%3D2015%26yx%3D2017%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

Wouldn't be gone on those black wheels especially on a white car. No Pro Nav or heated seats either.

The pricing on the new shadow edition looks like the true price. It certainly shows up the nonsense of the 5k discount offered on the standard m sport. I was quoted 57k for standard msport with 5k contribution down to 52k. The 5k is fake. Simple as that.

Anyone care to put a value on a 171 zero mile msport with about 1k of options?

What engine?

Considering the performance and smoothness of the car this economy is great however the depreciation disaster I have bought according to other posters here means this pales into insignificance I suppose.

Ah don't mind us we are jealous because we either can't afford or don't want to pay for a new 330e so we want prices to fall. Enjoy your car. Most of us want one.

What engine?
    330e

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement