Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

mickdw wrote: »
    The pricing on the new shadow edition looks like the true price. It certainly shows up the nonsense of the 5k discount offered on the standard m sport. I was quoted 57k for standard msport with 5k contribution down to 52k. The 5k is fake. Simple as that.

Anyone care to put a value on a 171 zero mile msport with about 1k of options?

40k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I think the benchmark in my negotiations with the dealer would have to be the price of bringing a brand new one or demo into Ireland from the UK, good 171's with Prof Nav, 19" Alloys seem to be running at £35K, with the exchange that transfers to €40k. Add in €3.4K VRT.

Having said all that, if you take the price of the new Shadowline at 50K with Metallic and professional Nav bringing it to 53K or so and then take off the 7.5K VRT and Grant its getting borderline on buying brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a few days off next week so I might pop into the local dealer and get some prices.*

* I hate doing this as normally I end up coming home with something new though I think I'll probably get a terrible trade in value for my F10 from the them. I'll get a straight deal price from them too along with PCP figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Sell the F10 privately for whatever they offer you as trade in value. Then you can argue 1-2k off the price.

You never know who might be looking for a (auto?) F10 :)

AmberGold wrote: »
    I think the benchmark in my negotiations with the dealer would have to be the price of bringing a brand new one or demo into Ireland from the UK, good 171's with Prof Nav, 19" Alloys seem to be running at £35K, with the exchange that transfers to €40k. Add in €3.4K VRT.

Having said all that, if you take the price of the new Shadowline at 50K with Metallic and professional Nav bringing it to 53K or so and then take off the 7.5K VRT and Grant its getting borderline on buying brand new.

If buying new, add the interior comfort pack. Heated seats /steering wheel, sliding front armrest and split fold rear seats.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Ah don't mind us we are jealous because we either can't afford or don't want to pay for a new 330e so we want prices to fall. Enjoy your car. Most of us want one.

I'm not so sure?
    I saw the e39 you sold and thought it was lovely and voodoo melon put up pics of a 2000 7 series he restored recently that has me seriously tempted. Those Bmw's of that era have a certain something about them and don't drop in value like a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If anything the prices are going up, they're becoming hard to come by, especially with PCP and insurance pushing them off the road. Can I tempt you further? :p

Heading over to pick it up now after its aircon service, be up for sale by the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what are you changing to Voodoo?

Don't want to derail this thread, but I bought the E38 back as a second car, still have my 740Li, just did it as a restoration project really since March, just looking to move it on now and make a small bit on it if possible. Just paying me for the parts and my time. I'm holding out til next year and will likely pull the trigger on a 2013 750Li, 650i Gran Coupe or 650i Coupe.

Back on topic, just saw the shadow edition 330e and it looks great, it genuinely stands out as not being a regular 3 series.

Where did you see it?

• Advertisement

Brand new 330e M Sport in front of me on the way home this afternoon. 172T1 reg in grey, think it was a Shadow Edition as the rear lights were a darker tint than the normal F30. Was well able to move too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Brand new 330e M Sport in front of me on the way home this afternoon. 172T1 reg in grey, think it was a Shadow Edition as the rear lights were a darker tint than the normal F30. Was well able to move too.

Was that up around north Dublin by any chance? Saw something similar today around swords direction.

Had a drive in a 330e today, outrageously quick.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Was that up around north Dublin by any chance? Saw something similar today around swords direction.

Nope, down in Limerick today heading towards Mitchellstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Don't want to derail this thread, but I bought the E38 back as a second car, still have my 740Li, just did it as a restoration project really since March, just looking to move it on now and make a small bit on it if possible. Just paying me for the parts and my time. I'm holding out til next year and will likely pull the trigger on a 2013 750Li, 650i Gran Coupe or 650i Coupe.

Back on topic, just saw the shadow edition 330e and it looks great, it genuinely stands out as not being a regular 3 series.

If your shoulders are anyway wide, be careful with an F02 750Li. It's not such a premium feel when you rub against pillars getting in.

Had a drive in a 330e today, outrageously quick.

I came from a golf gti performance and the 330e is a fair bit swifter in a straight line. Cross country the golf handles better but the 3 series is way ahead of f10 5 series probably due to its size.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If your shoulders are anyway wide, be careful with an F02 750Li. It's not such a premium feel when you rub against pillars getting in.

I heard that a few years back that the door opening was a fair bit smaller than the E65, have yet to experience getting into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Drained battery and heavyish foot gives me 20l/100km.

Painful to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Cork981 wrote: »
    Drained battery and heavyish foot gives me 20l/100km.

Painful to look at.

Over 2km....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Over 2km....

Yup, on the same trip with a battery I get 0L/100km so can't complain to much really.

A slightly large battery would be appreciated though.

I see the 530e is starting to appear on Carzone with dealerships having them in stock.
    Even the cheapest are 58k plus which is a huge jump from the 330e for a car with the same drivetrain and with the current offers in the 3 is probably any even bigger difference.
    I suspect not many prospective 520d customers will make the jump to the 530e when it is more expensive as opposed to the 3 series where the 330e was the cheaper option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Doesn't the 520d start at something like €53k now anyways? I think I'd pay the extra €5k on PCP for a 530e tbh.

Joe Duffy has a 171 G30 530D M Sport with tiny mileage for 69k, would be difficult to chose a 530e over that price wise.

Joe Duffy has a 171 G30 530D M Sport with tiny mileage for 69k, would be difficult to chose a 530e over that price wise.

Have to agree. Also once the G30 is a year/18 months launched prices will fall rapidly as they start coming in from U.K.
    A second hand 530d m sport will be same as new 520dse by then I reckon.

Lads, sorry for asking this question again but it's hard to skim through this thread for specific info given the amount of pages it has accumulated to date. I presume the SEAI grant and VRT on the 330e is around 7.5k off the retail price. Just configured a M Sport Shadow Edition coming in at just over 54k. That would bring the OTR price down to 46.5k.

On a side note, would the coral red leather interior be a problem come selling on time? I have a liking to it especially in combo with the mineral grey exterior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

On a side note, would the coral red leather interior be a problem come selling on time? I have a liking to it especially in combo with the mineral grey exterior.

very unlikely...I'm mad to get a car with red leather interior and think it looks fantastic and really stands out imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lads, sorry for asking this question again but it's hard to skim through this thread for specific info given the amount of pages it has accumulated to date. I presume the SEAI grant and VRT on the 330e is around 7.5k off the retail price. Just configured a M Sport Shadow Edition coming in at just over 54k. That would bring the OTR price down to 46.5k.

Yep 7.5k. There is no further contribution from bmw on the shadow edition. Standard msport gets 5k contribution but they have it priced a few thousand above shadow edition so the discount is all nonsense really.

Coral red with estoril blue is the only colour combo that the dealer warned me off. I was thinking of coral as I have mineral grey but went with saddle brown which is tan colour. I think they call it cognac now as I presume sounds better.
    Either go really well with mineral grey.
    The shadow line is good value alright but you may miss the luxury of your 5 as no 3 has the same big car feel of a 5 series.

So paid a visit to a dealer today. No 330e to test drive and they will not have a 330e M Sport Shadow Edition in until October, factory order takes about 8 weeks so realistically you're looking at a 181 reg by the time I'd have a test drive and potentially pull the trigger. As said there is no contribution towards the Shadow Edition, only on the regular M Sport which is lower spec and priced higher so no benefit at all really.

Finance guy wasn't around so they could not get any figures and were coye on the retail prices given that I'd be looking at a 181 car where pricing could change between now and then. All they confirmed was that the PCP rate is 4.9% APR. I asked about the SEAI grant and VRT rebate and the salesperson wasn't sure about those figures and eventually said that's really between the customer and the Government.

They couldn't give me a today's trade-in price on my F10 either and promised to call me in the next few days with more solid figures. I won't hold my breathe on that and the experience seems to mirror that of what some others on here experienced. Surely it should not be this difficult to buy a new car?

As for the 3/4 v 5 Series, I sat in both a 320d and 430d GC in the showroom and could not believe how tight and of lower quality the cabins are in comparison to the F10. I know that is to be expected due to the difference in price/class and the 330e is a brilliant performer but it is definitely food for thought and would be a major predicament for me if downgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

So paid a visit to a dealer today. No 330e to test drive and they will not have a 330e M Sport Shadow Edition in until October, factory order takes about 8 weeks so realistically you're looking at a 181 reg by the time I'd have a test drive and potentially pull the trigger. As said there is no contribution towards the Shadow Edition, only on the regular M Sport which is lower spec and priced higher so no benefit at all really.

Finance guy wasn't around so they could not get any figures and were coye on the retail prices given that I'd be looking at a 181 car where pricing could change between now and then. All they confirmed was that the PCP rate is 4.9% APR. I asked about the SEAI grant and VRT rebate and the salesperson wasn't sure about those figures and eventually said that's really between the customer and the Government.

They couldn't give me a today's trade-in price on my F10 either and promised to call me in the next few days with more solid figures. I won't hold my breathe on that and the experience seems to mirror that of what some others on here experienced. Surely it should not be this difficult to buy a new car?

As for the 3/4 v 5 Series, I sat in both a 320d and 430d GC in the showroom and could not believe how tight and of lower quality the cabins are in comparison to the F10. I know that is to be expected due to the difference in price/class and the 330e is a brilliant performer but it is definitely food for thought and would be a major predicament for me if downgrading.

Is the Shadow edition here to stay until the new 3 series is released?

Also, any pics of an actual Shadow edition? Have called to dealers over the past while and your story is too familiar!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it's here to stay until the F3x models are replaced late next year. Whether it stays at the current value is another thing though. They seem to be writing off 172 sales of it anyway from what I am gauging and aiming for 181 sales. 3 Series sales have been dismal this year from what I believe, you would think they would get it here faster. I was told early October for the 330e Shadow Edition but it's possible dealers might get a diesel model before then.

Was it local Midwest dealer?
    Would not be surprised as this is usual carry on there.
    I did warn you re 3 vs 5.
    The 5 is more refined/ luxury feeling car.
    My father just bought new 520d and it is a very complete package I have to say.
    I think if was going 181 I would stretch to a 530e. The new 3 will be out late 2018 and will be here properly 191 sled so effectively you would only have a year of the current model.

No carsfan it was the dealer in Tipp I think you bought yours from as I was passing through that way today. It felt like they haven't sold that many 330e going on today's experience.

To be fair I'd like to give a 330e M Sport Shadow edition a fair comparison in the flesh and see if the overall package outshines the lower grade interior. A G30 is ruled out as I don't want a car that size anymore so there has to be a bit of compromise I guess. I'd say it will either be a 330e or 430d next for me. On the drive home I did appreciate how good a car the F10 is even if it only has a 4 pot diesel under the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I was just thinking there as well, the new 530d has dropped into the 19% VRT band vs the 23% VRT band of the outgoing model. On a €70k car this is over €3k, does anyone know how much the old 530d M-sport was vs the new 530d M-sport prices. I doubt we seen the €3k saving in Ireland anyway. Would be interesting to know the UK and European pricing also.

A Dublin main dealer has a low mileage 171 G30 530d M Sport for 69k.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Was it local Midwest dealer?
    Would not be surprised as this is usual carry on there.
    I did warn you re 3 vs 5.
    The 5 is more refined/ luxury feeling car.
    My father just bought new 520d and it is a very complete package I have to say.
    I think if was going 181 I would stretch to a 530e. The new 3 will be out late 2018 and will be here properly 191 sled so effectively you would only have a year of the current model.

They are all the same. I visited 3 dealers for a look at 330e. Once last summer and twice this year. Last summer I kind of understood the problems as it was new but this year just baffles me. The thing has been out 18 months now and they still cant get one for a test drive, explain pricing and grants or even tell me anything about the car.
    In fairness one of the geniuses in a dealer was pretty good on the technical info but he couldn't get me one to drive that's not his purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

It's about 3k of list price which I would expect as a minimum if buying a new one, given its got 2k km on the clock I would expect her to be on the low 60s end of things.

Just a comparison to a new car in UK, it's 41k GBP so lets say 47k EURO and about 13k VRT or 60k in total. The higher spec cars are much better value again though, I think as others have said before there will be decent value on these in the UK.

What looks like even better value is the hybrids, again they are similar money at 42k GBP but VRT will be around 6K I would estimate then they you would pick up one in the low 50s. By the time 181 comes around you could get some serious value in a low miles 172 car.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706026036124?minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5%20SERIES&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bt282ua&radius=1500&year-from=2017&make=BMW&page=1

Yep
    That's where I bought. Just goes to show how it depends who you end up talking to in these places. Mine was the first they sold so they had to register with seai back then and I know they have sold more since. That all being done there is no hassle over the grant and vrt relief. The 2.5k vrt comes off the invoice and the 5k goes into the pcp deposit or off the price if you buy without financing. The garage does that and you just sign the seai forms.
    It's funny, buying a new car should be easy and fun but it often is a pain in the ass.
    Re the refinement etc of the 3 series, I got a 171 318d sport as a courtesy car valued at 45k last week and could not get over how poor it was in every aspect compared to my 330e. No comparison for power,quietness and kit. I thought it is no wonder they don't sell many. It did not feel at all worth the money and it was only 5k cheaper than my car was.

digiman wrote: »
    It's about 3k of list price which I would expect as a minimum if buying a new one, given its got 2k km on the clock I would expect her to be on the low 60s end of things.

Just a comparison to a new car in UK, it's 41k GBP so lets say 47k EURO and about 13k VRT or 60k in total. The higher spec cars are much better value again though, I think as others have said before there will be decent value on these in the UK.

What looks like even better value is the hybrids, again they are similar money at 42k GBP but VRT will be around 6K I would estimate then they you would pick up one in the low 50s. By the time 181 comes around you could get some serious value in a low miles 172 car.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706026036124?minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5%20SERIES&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bt282ua&radius=1500&year-from=2017&make=BMW&page=1

Don't forget when comparing new price in the UK that you would have to pay VAT here as well as VRT on anything less than 6 months old or with less than 6k km on it.
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    Yep
    That's where I bought. Just goes to show how it depends who you end up talking to in these places. Mine was the first they sold so they had to register with seai back then and I know they have sold more since. That all being done there is no hassle over the grant and vrt relief. The 2.5k vrt comes off the invoice and the 5k goes into the pcp deposit or off the price if you buy without financing. The garage does that and you just sign the seai forms.
    It's funny, buying a new car should be easy and fun but it often is a pain in the ass.
    Re the refinement etc of the 3 series, I got a 171 318d sport as a courtesy car valued at 45k last week and could not get over how poor it was in every aspect compared to my 330e. No comparison for power,quietness and kit. I thought it is no wonder they don't sell many. It did not feel at all worth the money and it was only 5k cheaper than my car was.

I was asking the salesperson about the grant but it seemed totally alien to them and it was something I sorted out myself until I mentioned it comes off the invoice price as opposed to claiming it back from the Government after paying the car.

Re the 3 Series, that's exactly why I would want to test drive the 330e Shadow Edition before writing the F30 off. I think for the short term I'm happy to keep what I have. I'd have to get some super trade-in valuation to be tempted and I don't see that happening.

I know a man that got 12K off one of these for cash. This included the SEAI grant, I have a copy of the quote so can say for certain its fact.

• Advertisement

'What looks like even better value is the hybrids, again they are similar money at 42k GBP but VRT will be around 6K I would estimate then they you would pick up one in the low 50s. By the time 181 comes around you could get some serious value in a low miles 172 car. '

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706026036124?minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5%20SERIES&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=bt282ua&radius=1500&year-from=2017&make=BMW&page=1[/QUOTE]

Don't know how comfortable I'd be taking a BMW Hybrid in from the UK. Just have a thing about taking "swimmers" into main dealers for warranty repairs. Given the tech is so new I'd envisage more frequent main dealer visits.

I know a man that got 12K off one of these for cash. This included the SEAI grant, I have a copy of the quote so can say for certain its fact.

The SEAI grant is not available on the 530d or any other diesel though.
    Don't know how comfortable I'd be taking a BMW Hybrid in from the UK. Just have a thing about taking "swimmers" into main dealers for warranty repairs. Given the tech is so new I'd envisage more frequent main dealer visits.

Not every car imported from the UK is a swimmer.

What's a swimmer?

Flood damaged car.

If you are referring to the 330e, the deal i was offered for straight sale on an msport was 7,500 grants, 5k contribution and 2500 discount. That was 42k for a car with retail price of 57k.
    Its just a pity they are playing silly beggars with the prices. Its a nice car but its not a 57k car whatever way you cut it.

If you are referring to the 330e, the deal i was offered for straight sale on an msport was 7,500 grants, 5k contribution and 2500 discount. That was 42k for a car with retail price of 57k.
    Its just a pity they are playing silly beggars with the prices. Its a nice car but its not a 57k car whatever way you cut it.

Sorry meant 530e, 12k off.
    I also didn't mean swimmer as flood damaged just imported from U.K. secondhand. I heard a dealer referring to imports as swimmers years ago, never took it he meant flood damaged. Learn something new every day.

Anyway my point related to 330e's potentially needing a bit more tlc also no network outside main dealers offering services etc. My friends 530e has been back in getting a software update for example.

mickdw wrote: »

42k seems good to me for a fully loaded BMW with Porsche performance, look at this 1.4 @ 50k for example. PCP's are driving up the prices.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/audi/a4/used-2017-171-audi-a4-1-4-tfsi-150hp-dublin-fpa-2785638020315300549

Someone at Audi is having a laugh...

12k off a new 530e seems good but if this was 7.5k vrt relief and seai grant,2kdiscount BMW Ireland were giving and 2.5k discount from the dealer then it's standard enough for a straight deal.
    Don't want to go to off topic but I do agree car prices are rising inexorably and the so called premium Marques are leading this. Pcp is used to disguise it.
    I was going through papers at home and found my order form for 520d f10 I bought new in 2010. I added some spec to a base price of 44k and paid 49k for it. I specced up similar on the configurator for current model and it was 59k. the new model has pro nav and probably other small bits but not enough to justify 10 grand increase in seven years when inflation has been minimal.
    If you spec a passat or superb at all nowadays you are up over 40 grand too. The new Volkswagen arteon is a 50k plus car too.
    Madness really.
    Makes a new 330e m sport seem like good value for 42k?

• Advertisement

My point really was re the 57k price tag. This is what bmw are getting for the car, not the 42k. They are getting paid the government grants and taking back the 5k contribution in interest charges.
    Yes 42k is reasonable but considering its near end of life of model and the fact that they appear to be applying price increases, it doesnt add up for me at the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement