Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I

Not a Shadowline - but close in spec to. Don't think there's available stock in 330e just yet. M-Sport Performance pack, Media Pro Plus, Parking camera, Black/Oyster leather, wireless charging (not that's any use to me)... Oh, Silver metallic - colour combo is exactly what I'd order... Heavily discounted. Coming to me - for cash - €42.8k. Less my trade about €20k. So it's an easy decision for me to be honest. Just waiting on SEAI to process and I should have next week some time.
    ?

Aren't the M-Sport coming in around 45K anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Blazer wrote: »
    Aren't the M-Sport coming in around 45K anyway?

Yes but with the spec described would be 50k+ retail I'm guessing so I presume a stock car nicely discounted. Sounds like a good deal.

I don't know about apple car play as never looked into it. The "genius" in your dealer should know and if could be installed they should do it for you.
    Once you have your numbers from seai the crowd for installing home charger we're pretty quick. Two to three weeks if I remember correctly. I didn't bother in the end as when they came it was going to require me running wires from the main fuse in the centre of my house and cutting ceiling etc. For a charging gain of about an hour I left it.
    Good luck with the car, hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I must be terrible at getting deals as they dont appear to move a whole lot. Best i got was 42k for a poorly specd msport which was full retail less 2k straight sale discount.
    And as for pre reg cars..... joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Yes but with the spec described would be 50k+ retail I'm guessing so I presume a stock car nicely discounted. Sounds like a good deal.

I appreciate it's something of a false economy with BMW these days - as in BMW contributions etc... Anyways, As per the dealer the list price of the car with all accessories, delivery, the hilarious 'protection pack' etc is €61k or so. Minus 7.5k SEAI, minus €5k BMW contribution, minus €5.5k dealer discount. In fairness too, other than the gloss black pack and the faux leather dash - the car has everything that the Shadowline has and then a couple of bits more... I think €42.8 is a steal for this car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Interesting. Well, it's been removed from the Irish app store but can be downloaded from the UK one. It is however available in the Irish Play Store. Wonder what that's all about. I'll talk to the dealer Monday.

Not a Shadowline - but close in spec to. Don't think there's available stock in 330e just yet. M-Sport Performance pack, Media Pro Plus, Parking camera, Black/Oyster leather, wireless charging (not that's any use to me)... Oh, Silver metallic - colour combo is exactly what I'd order... Heavily discounted. Coming to me - for cash - €42.8k. Less my trade about €20k. So it's an easy decision for me to be honest. Just waiting on SEAI to process and I should have next week some time.

Actually, as you've been helpful, let me ask one other thing - is Apple CarPlay available for purchase in the Connected Store? It is in other countries and is possible to purchase after delivery. Oh, how long did it take for your home charger to be installed too?

Where were you getting that deal and what are you trading?

5.5k is a huge discount from dealer.
    Most max put at 2.5k at that price point in my experience.
    Was it a car in stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

bazz26 wrote: »
    Where were you getting that deal and what are you trading?

lol..a nice try :D

Blazer wrote: »
    lol..a nice try :D

I'm not trying to gazump the OP's deal. Just curious to who they are dealing with as the information and figures I got from a few dealers recently have been nowhere near those.

• Advertisement

That's actually a great discount from a BMW dealer in Ireland, more so when there is a trade in involved too. I have never been able to achieve that amount even in a straight cash deal.

It is a great discount. They were very motivated to move it on. I played very hard to get and walked away even. I was 20 minutes out of the door on the way home when I got a call from one of the head honchos with the revised offer.. It's a stock model. I'll spill the beans when I've collected the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

It is a great discount. They were very motivated to move it on. I played very hard to get and walked away even. I was 20 minutes out of the door on the way home when I got a call from one of the head honchos with the revised offer.. It's a stock model. I'll spill the beans when I've collected the car!

That's a lot of car for the money, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

My friend at work for the M sport fully loaded edition with literally every extra, uprated brakes, on screen display, 19" upgraded alloys etc. 11.5k discount. 57k for 45.5k as it was in stock and had 200km on the clock. I suppose it has the grants included within the discount

Awesome car

He got zero discount a that rate. 7500 grants and 5k bmw contribution. That said a well specd one is more than 57k so maybe some confusion on what the actual full cost was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

mickdw wrote:
    He got zero discount a that rate. 7500 grants and 5k bmw contribution. That said a well specd one is more than 57k so maybe some confusion on what the actual full cost was.

Maybe, it's a girl. Maybe she explained it wrongly. It's a beast

• Advertisement

I'd imagine quite a few posters have a 330e quote a while now, are you all charging them up nightly?

Would they do 6 l per 100km driving motorway speed on a long trip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

6l per 100km is better than 45mpg and might be possible. I'd be interested in this myself. I can get nearly 40mpg out of my e60 petrol on motorway if I keep it below 110kmph. If I hit 120 I can't get that.

I get about 42 to 44 mpg on motorway runs at the speed limit.
    Car is not really at its best economy wise for long motorway journeys.diesel is still better here but where it excels is typical mix of urban and primary routes on journeys especially if you can plug in regularly.

I get about 42 to 44 mpg on motorway runs at the speed limit.
    Car is not really at its best economy wise for long motorway journeys.diesel is still better here but where it excels is typical mix of urban and primary routes on journeys especially if you can plug in regularly.

Okay that's not bad. I drive Kerry to Dublin, so very primary roads for 100km as far as Mitchelstown and then Motorway to the Cow and then 10km city traffic but I presume the battery would be empty after the motorway? . Would you expect on a drive like that to hit 45 mpg?

If so that sounds v workable as the rest of my driving could almost be done on battery

Starting on a full battery you could do 45mpg alright, as long as you didn't drive foot to floor.if you could plug in at your destination in Dublin would be great
    However if those journeys are few time a week I think diesel is better

• Advertisement

Starting on a full battery you could do 45mpg alright, as long as you didn't drive foot to floor.if you could plug in at your destination in Dublin would be great
    However if those journeys are few time a week I think diesel is better

Interesting. I get 47mpg at the moment all up in a 2.0 TDI and I don't have a gentle foot, but I don't have anything like the performance you have. The pricing of the 330e is a big attraction

Got the obligatory email and call invite from a main dealer (not going to name them here but they are in the south) about their bi-annual VIP sales event. They have thousands of euros off and finance as low as 5.9%. lol. I had a look at their stock online and they have an average spec 171 330e M Sport and are asking 50k for it.

I challenged them on their 171 330e and that I priced a new one costing 55k before grants and 47.5k before discounts, why would I pay 50k for their 171 one when I can get a brand new one for less? I also pointed out that the likes of VW and Audi were offering 0% finance on certain models and how did they think 5.9% was low? I didn't bother going any further as I know the person on the other end of the phone was only ringing to confirm interest,not working in sales and I think I convinced her otherwise in the end. :P

I know these sales events are a farce at the best of times but honestly this just seemed like a very weak effort.

Did dealers get caught somehow registering demo and prereg 330e because the pricing is a joke and they dont seem willing to deal at all on the pre reg ones.
    Last contact i had, I told dealer he was far away with his discount but that id look at a pre reg if sensibly priced compared to a new one. Didnt even get a response.
    They would want to be asking under 40k to get anyone to even take a look

I'm sure they got a reasonable discount from the distributor to pre register them plus I'm sure they are well aware of the grants but maybe thought the grants would have dried up by now. Someone posted earlier about getting a very good discount off one so it may depend how eager the individual dealer is to shift one or be prepared to sit on them for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

There is a nice English white 2016 msport in a Galway car dealer
    With red leather 18,000km on the clock for 34,995 I think, and would sell for 33k.
    For anybody that is interested in a second hand one.
    Was looking at it myself, nice and clean car.
    And price seems reasonable seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

XsApollo wrote: »
    There is a nice English white 2016 msport in a Galway car dealer
    With red leather 18,000km on the clock for 34,995 I think, and would sell for 33k.
    For anybody that is interested in a second hand one.
    Was looking at it myself, nice and clean car.
    And price seems reasonable seems reasonable to me.

Except that it's white :D

That white 330e is basic m sport spec. Would have retailed for 45k when new here. 35k is too much from a non franchised dealer I think. Should be closer to 30k.

Re. VIP events, I am surprised anyone falls for the rubbish the dealers spout but obviously some do or they wouldn't keep holding them.5.9 per cent apr is crazy in the current market.the guys in the U.K. Are getting the new 5 series with 7/8 grand off and then 3.5 k deposit contribution on top. We are robbed for our cars here in comparison.

So I collected my new 330e last week and have spent the last few days getting to grips with the tech. I'll get a pic up at some stage but mine is an M-Sport in Glacier Silver with the M-Sport performance pack, Navigation Pro Plus pack and a few other extra bits and bobs. It looks awesome I reckon and it's the exact colour and interior trim I'd have selected if I was ordering straight.

It's fast, quiet comfortable and the missus loves it. I replaced a VW CC with it. The CC is definitely a more refined car in the ride - akin to say an E-Class - but nowhere near drives as well. My main motivator was to extricate myself from a VW diesel. Done now, trade was competitive in lieu of the new Arteon hitting the streets and I'm glad to be shot of it.

That all said, there are a few little features that don't come standard in a BMW that caught be off guard a little. For example, folding rear seats are an 'option'. No sync button on the climate control - that's wacky. I'm also not certain yet, but I don't think the wing mirrors are heated - I appreciate folding/dimming mirrors are optional but not being heated is not good if it holds true. Finally, on the navigation I'm really surprised that is does not display the speed without the need for the camera recognition. The VW Nav - the RNS-510 (a 10 year plus piece of tech) did that.

Also, BMW Ireland have removed the Connected App from the Apple Store (temporary). I managed to get it from the UK store so not an issue. However, BMW also removed the Online Entertainment option from Irish cars. It's still available throughout the EU. Not exactly a deal breaker. I love the fact that iDrive can play up to 24bit/192 lossless FLAC. I have a bunch stored on a 500gb SSD and it's whip-smart fast browsing the content.

Anyways, overall very much loving the car. Waiting with anticipation for the home charging station install.

On that - 330e owners - what 'occasional charging' unit were you supplied with? An original BMW iPerformance one or different brand?

Well wear with it.

Heated mirror are definitely standard on the 3 Series (they were on my 9 year old M Sport anyway) but folding mirrors are an optional extra even on the more expensive 5 Series. Folding rear seat is again an option even on the 5 Series, ridiculous considering what these cars cost new.

BMW Sat Nav has always been poor in my opinion and it's only a matter of time before Apple Car Play/Android Auto becomes the standard so that you can just use the likes of Google Maps from your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mirror heating should come on with the rear screen heating. Seems to be only VAG cars that have a seperate control for heated mirrors. Makes more sense to me to have it tied to the rear window as if the mirrors are fogged, then it's more than likely the rear window is too.

• Advertisement

Definitely heated mirrors present and are linked to rear screen demist
    The charger I got was a bmw one and comes In bag for keeping in the boot
    Well wear with it. I'm still surprised we don't see more on our roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I saw one of these on Saturday in Galway, had a big iPOWER logo on the side or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

So I collected my new 330e last week and have spent the last few days getting to grips with the tech. I'll get a pic up at some stage but mine is an M-Sport in Glacier Silver with the M-Sport performance pack, Navigation Pro Plus pack and a few other extra bits and bobs. It looks awesome I reckon and it's the exact colour and interior trim I'd have selected if I was ordering straight.

It's fast, quiet comfortable and the missus loves it. I replaced a VW CC with it. The CC is definitely a more refined car in the ride - akin to say an E-Class - but nowhere near drives as well. My main motivator was to extricate myself from a VW diesel. Done now, trade was competitive in lieu of the new Arteon hitting the streets and I'm glad to be shot of it.

That all said, there are a few little features that don't come standard in a BMW that caught be off guard a little. For example, folding rear seats are an 'option'. No sync button on the climate control - that's wacky. I'm also not certain yet, but I don't think the wing mirrors are heated - I appreciate folding/dimming mirrors are optional but not being heated is not good if it holds true. Finally, on the navigation I'm really surprised that is does not display the speed without the need for the camera recognition. The VW Nav - the RNS-510 (a 10 year plus piece of tech) did that.

Also, BMW Ireland have removed the Connected App from the Apple Store (temporary). I managed to get it from the UK store so not an issue. However, BMW also removed the Online Entertainment option from Irish cars. It's still available throughout the EU. Not exactly a deal breaker. I love the fact that iDrive can play up to 24bit/192 lossless FLAC. I have a bunch stored on a 500gb SSD and it's whip-smart fast browsing the content.

Anyways, overall very much loving the car. Waiting with anticipation for the home charging station install.

On that - 330e owners - what 'occasional charging' unit were you supplied with? An original BMW iPerformance one or different brand?

First world problems wha

Definitely heated mirrors present and are linked to rear screen demist
    The charger I got was a bmw one and comes In bag for keeping in the boot
    Well wear with it. I'm still surprised we don't see more on our roads.

With the experience I had of trying to get prices and information on them I'm not surprised by the lack of numbers. They seem more interested in selling 320ds.

BTW BMW are introducing wireless charging for the 530e sometime next year:

I wonder if after the budget this year they will be more interested in selling them?
    Some seem to think the government are going to make these type of cars more financially attractive to company car drivers.
    Re. The wireless charging, it looks great but you can bet it will be a few grand of an option on a 530e, a car I think is overpriced already. They took one of the main attractions of the 330e which was its keen pricing away with the 530e.

Yeah that wireless charging will be a hefty extra and you'd want a garage or a sheltered carport for it rather than leaving it out on a driveway in our weather or for some scumbag to break it while trying to rob it.

Regarding selling the PHEVs, I'd say as long as dealers can sell 20 diesels to every PHEV then I cannot much changing on that front. The dealers I spoke to were suggesting the grants were between the buyer and the Government and not for them to get involved with. One implied that since you were getting a grant and VRT rebate that there was very little discount available on the car list price itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I see BMW are offering 9% of most of their range, Sterling Value they call it :)

No mention of what the APR is but the cynical side of me think's that is not going to be a good thing.

just went on the web site, 9% off all list prices.
    Following Mercs lead last year and obviously to combat imports.

However trade in offers will be woeful I guess wiping out most savings and finance rates high.
    I presume you will get this discount digiman on your new 5?
    I would still be tempted by a 530e however if the figures worked.

just went on the web site, 9% off all list prices.
    Following Mercs lead last year and obviously to combat imports.

However trade in offers will be woeful I guess wiping out most savings and finance rates high.
    I presume you will get this discount digiman on your new 5?
    I would still be tempted by a 530e however if the figures worked.

I already have mine, it was a late reg 171 ex-demo with a 1000km on her. I'll be interested to see the interest rates but regardless I'm still happy with the deal I got especially as I have my car now. If I had not of bought then it would have made the 530d more achievable but that can wait till the next time now!!

• Advertisement

So taking a 330e for example its 5k discount from this 9 percent price cut. I'm assuming the previous 5k dealer contribution is deleted so no change.

mickdw wrote: »
    So taking a 330e for example its 5k discount from this 9 percent price cut. I'm assuming the previous 5k dealer contribution is deleted so no change.

What BMW give with one hand, they take away with the other.

digiman wrote: »
    I already have mine, it was a late reg 171 ex-demo with a 1000km on her. I'll be interested to see the interest rates but regardless I'm still happy with the deal I got especially as I have my car now. If I had not of bought then it would have made the 530d more achievable but that can wait till the next time now!!

Well wear.
    How are you finding it compared to 330i?
    Missing any poke or fast enough? I presume comfort and refinement are leagues ahead.

Well wear.
    How are you finding it compared to 330i?
    Missing any poke or fast enough? I presume comfort and refinement are leagues ahead.

It's pretty hard to compare them really as they are very different.

I do miss the power and acceleration of the 328i, it's a decent bit quicker but in my day 2 day driving I would barely ever notice it in fairness. The car also feels so much smaller, my new car is the touring model so it's significantly bigger and you really do notice the difference in car parks (especially Multi-story ones).

One extra I had on my 328i which I miss is the adaptive steering, it's just so much easier to have really short turns compared to the steering in the 520d.

520d is very refined and noticeably much quieter on the motorways, it's also quite quick still in fairness and overall delighted with the car. Only regrets would be that it doesn't have the 20" wheels and blue M-sports brakes along with the 530d but you do need to leave a reason to upgrade in a couple of years time right? :D:D

Adverts doing the rounds on tv and radio now with the "Sterling Sale Event". Just more shuffling of numbers. You can be sure they will "adjust" the trade in values and finance rates to match.

I see they still have the 330e M Sport Shadow Edition listed on the offer. I thought the 330e M Sport Shadow Edition was going to be discontinued for 2018? A 330i in the same spec is not much more.

I looked at merc website and they have improved specs a lot for 2018 so bmw had to do something to compete.
    I think the new car market is down a fair bit too and there are a fair few low mile 171/172 3/5 series for sale on Carzone.
    I reckon the real savings may be made on one of these rather than new.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the specs on most of them especially the 3 Series, are pretty poor plus dealers are not known for their generosity. I think the best value is by buying nearly new in the UK, better choice and better spec but of course it may involving having to sell your old car here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Still on transporter blocks maybe?
    Mine sits a lot lower or may have m sport suspension delete option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Still seems very high even if it does have the M Sport suspension delete option though, even the standard cars don't have that kind of gap between the wheels and arches, and they've got smaller wheels than this one does. Advert states it does have M Sport suspension (although I think there's something different about the 330e suspension compared to the other models?).

It’s probably still on transport blocks which dealers sometimes forget to remove until the new owner complains about the ride!
    It’s quite expensive that car.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement