Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yes not cheap. Phenominal value though going back through the months, m-sports with very little miles for peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

No wonder BMW here had to introduce a 9% price reduction.
    Shadow edition is not bad value here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Shadow Edition is available in Ireland for the new year, despite what BMW Ireland told me a few months ago.

It has gone up by about 6,500 grand since the 1st November though, so is costing pretty much the same in January with the additional 9% than it would have been at the end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol. That's BMW Sterling value for you. :D

Anyone have any news on the new 330e for early next year, any range improvement? Looks like lots of new options are filtering down the range like laser lights and ambient lighting.

That is an even worse than usual review from Bob. Also factually incorrect over the bik issue. I subscribe to his channel on you tube as he’s Irish but you can’t really call these pieces reviews anymore, more his musings.
    Recently got a 520dse loaner and it was a very comfortable refined car. Got me thinking that 530e might be an excellent package. Plenty of performance and comfort coupled with better quality than you get on a 3 series.

You know, I wasn't going to say anything as I thought it would sound harsh, but as you said it first, Bob's videos really are poor. And I could forgive bad editing and sound, shaky shots etc, but the content itself is very poor, always has been. He covers the same points over and over and you walk away from his videos none the wiser in regards the car as a whole. Very general, very repetitive and not informative. He could take a few tips from Brian Cooley, who covers so much more in similar length time segments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like Bobs videos. I dont watch them to get the finer details but he does give an impression of whether a car hits the spot or not which is more than alot of the written media would give.

The current model 3 series is a dead duck now in terms of new sales surely so you would have thought that the price reductions would have been convenient to allow them to discretely discount the model. Instead they are increasing prices making it even less attractive.

• Advertisement

Far from a high spec model, but serious value:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708218533708?onesearchad=New&keywords=330e&postcode=bt126aa&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&make=BMW&model=3%20SERIES&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

€1410 VRT, assuming you wangle £1k off, landed for €24,500. Serious value for a high quality EV if you do low miles.

mickdw wrote: »
    I like Bobs videos. I dont watch them to get the finer details but he does give an impression of whether a car hits the spot or not which is more than alot of the written media would give.

I actually started looking at cars ireland reviews. The lady doing them gets across more info than Bob. I get the impression Bob picks up a different free car every other week and he’s not going to slate anything. If he gave even basic info like what the price of the car he is driving, what options it has, what it competes with etc would be something but usually he is just rambling on.

I agree with you mick on the 3 series. Shadow edition is the run out model and looks good but they have not made great efforts to give better value.
    I’m thinking might change at two years before the new model is released as I reckon I will have no equity in the car if I go full term and the newer model will be out by then. Still love the car though, no regrets there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Far from a high spec model, but serious value:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708218533708?onesearchad=New&keywords=330e&postcode=bt126aa&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&make=BMW&model=3%20SERIES&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

€1410 VRT, assuming you wangle £1k off, landed for €24,500. Serious value for a high quality EV if you do low miles.

maybe but god it looks dull :o

Dull as dishwasher. Showed it to a friend whos having awful trouble with his Passat and he was wow, look at that. I didn't show him the 760Lis i was browsing in the other tab. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Cyrus wrote: »
    maybe but god it looks dull :o

Agreed, but that's typical of any modern BMW, they all look dull unless they're in M Sport spec, that looks like it's got wheelbarrow wheels on it (they must surely only be 16s). Actually, go right back, BMWs always looked a bit pants unless you went up the range and got one in a decent spec.

You could say that about most cars. If the base model looked a million dollars then nobody would order higher spec models or tick options. It's probably the cheapest way of getting into a 330e but the spec wouldn't be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yeah have to be m sport, amg or s line in a bmw, Merc or Audi. Look so much better. Guy I work with has an SE e60 same colour and year as my m sport and they look completely different. Just much more aggressively styled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I see they’re advertising the 530e from 48k (if your car qualifies for diesel scrappage). What sort of money are they really going for with contributions/grants etc

I asked my dealer this question last week.
    With 9% reductions and grants available it’s impossible to work out the actual bottom line as they tend to put the 5k grant into the deposit for pcp. Also not sure what interest rate is charged.
    He is to come back to me with figures so hopefully I will have this info next week.

• Advertisement

They would appear to be 57,749 for an se now. Add delivery, service inclusive, cable and tax etc and you are looking at 60k.
    That's 57.5k with 2500 portion of grant off retail price.
    30 percent deposit would be 17250 with 5k grant reducing that to 12250 from customer.
    57.5k less 17250 less gfv of maybe 24k leaves 16250 plus interest on total borrowed to be paid over 3 years.
    Maybe 575 monthly at 4.9 with 12250 customer deposit or nearer 600 at 5.9

The 48k referred to by MarkN I'd say is 57749 - grants of 7500 - 2000 for old diesel scrappage leaving 48249
    I'd say you will still be looking at a couple of grand extra for delivery etc as mention above.
    Looks better bet than current 330e.

Those figures look about what I was thinking mick.
    When I bought 330e I got another 1500 knocked off the top line which brought numbers down a small bit and would look for similar if going again.
    I’m thinking of moving the 330e while it’s still as new condition wise and before the new model gets announced next year.
    What do you think?
    I drove 520d and it’s a big step up in comfort and very refined. Reckon 530e might be even better.
    On the other hand I had a look at Audi A5 sport back last week and a used pcp on one might be cheaper and I reckon might hold its value better than beemer.
    That would mean back to diesel though which feels like a retrograde step.

In Sunday times today Frank Keane are advertising 181 520d for 424euro a month on pcp so surely a 530e would be able to be done for roughly the same?

What's the deposit on that.

Deposit 14742 and final payment 24238.
    They have on road price of 53905.
    Apr 5.9%

I think the on road price quoted must be before the 9% reduction.

• Advertisement

Looks very close to 50 percent final payment.
    Could suit some but it's 30k outlay for 3 years with the car and little equity at end.

Looks very close to 50 percent final payment.
    Could suit some but it's 30k outlay for 3 years with the car and little equity at end.

I’m guessing BMW are basing the gfv on the price of the car before the 9% reductions. This makes the figures seem better but as you say no equity at the end.

The problem is the options, you'd rack up €5k with the 530e on what I would call the essentials, never mind the gucci stuff. It would be hard to look past the UK for a 6-12 month old model. Is it possible to get UK finance as an ROI resident?

what are the essential extras?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    what are the essential extras?

M Sport for sure.

• Advertisement

While the G30 has better standard equipment than the F10 before it, there would still be a few essentials that I'd spec in a car like that:

Electric memory front seats,
    Harman Kardon loudspeaker system,
    Split folding rear seats (still don't understand why these are not standard),
    Power folding exterior mirrors with anti dazzle and auto dipping,
    19" alloy wheels,
    Comfort Access,
    Sports seats (if not going M Sport),
    Rear privacy glass.

The standard speakers in g30 are way better than any standard Bmw system I’ve heard before but I agree with your list bazz.
    I have hk sound in 330e and it’s super.
    Comfort pack covers a lot of the other stuff. Paying extra for split/fold seats seems like robbery at this level doesn’t it?

Yep, pain in the ass at times if you have to carry something awkward in the boot.

You gone off the idea of a 4 Series?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, pain in the ass at times if you have to carry something awkward in the boot.

You gone off the idea of a 4 Series?

I’m not sure to be honest about 4 series.
    I love the exterior look of grancoupe but having had two 3 series, the interior would be more of the same.
    Compared to the competition it is seriously dated inside and not sure I want same again.
    That said a 430d gran coupe with a nice spec and at the right money might turn my head.
    Going back to a diesel also feels like a backward step if I’m honest.

bazz26 wrote: »
    While the G30 has better standard equipment than the F10 before it, there would still be a few essentials that I'd spec in a car like that:

Electric memory front seats,
    Harman Kardon loudspeaker system,
    Split folding rear seats (still don't understand why these are not standard),
    Power folding exterior mirrors with anti dazzle and auto dipping,
    19" alloy wheels,
    Comfort Access,
    Sports seats (if not going M Sport),
    Rear privacy glass.

I can't believe electric folding mirrors still aren't standard, that's definitely a necessary option!

Other things I'd want are:

- M Sport
    - split folding seats, it needs those as well
    - lumbar support, that's still not standard
    - adaptive cruise control
    - comfort access

It also seems as though SEs still don't get front foglights as standard - a bizarre omission that also affected post facelift F10s (they had been standard for years before that - even the poverty spec cars we used to get before BMW took over from Frank Keane had them at the 5 series level after the E39 got its facelift back in 2000).

In fairness the equipment levels are pretty good overall (especially compared to the olden days) but they still need quite a few extras.

Ok have been crunching the numbers on a UK import 530e. I think its a fairly accurate estimation, considering the 530e isn't on the VRT calc yet.

I used the 530d M-Sport G30 as the test mule, OMSP is €65,476, the same as a decent specced 530e.

Using the 20% rate of depreciation from the 530d (330e is 19%, 520d is 17%) gives a current OSMP for a March 2017 reg 530e (when they started landing in the UK) of €52,383.

Using the rate of VRT from the 330e for PHEVs of 14%, gives a VRT rate of €7,333, less €2,250 VRT refund (for some reason this is all that's given on the 330e), final VRT sum is €5083.

media?id=acc063d5ac29487ea086a3c1dacf77de&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Nab this for for £35,000, which is guts of €40k with an achievable rate, plus VRT is a total of €45,000 imported (car is in Belfast).

Damn good value.

Just for anyone considering that, be careful of the 'new means of transport' clause that might require VAT to be paid here when mileage is less than 6k km. Great price for a great car though. I have no doubt the dealers here would be completely fecked if it wasnt for the pcp availability. The only reason one would go to a dealer here instead of picking up that car is pcp finance and the higher monthly payments on a bank or credit union loan.
    Say someone has 12k cash in hand for car and borrowing the rest. A new se on pcp at 5.9 might cost 575 month. This used one with 12k cash and a loan at 8.9 percent might cost 675 per month for 5 years. Id rather go for the 5 year finance and own it at that stage but the better monthly will steer alot of people into the pcp never considering the situation that will arise at year 3.
    Pictures dont do justice to the M sport either. They are stunning in reality.

Yes there would be no "might" about it though as far as I am aware, if its under 6k km you will have to pay the VAT. My mates brother did the very same thing recently on an F10 520d, didn't do his homework and was looking at a big VAT bill, he drove it for a few months to get the mileage up after finding out.

Yes the finance is definitely more expensive, but doesn't touch the total saving. Like my interest in the 330e last year, my intention would be to run a 530e on pure electric as much as possible. Will be looking at a new car next year for sure and this is near the top of the list.

But guys what about the “great” 181sterling offer only available from your trusted local dealer!

M sport cars do look great alright.
    Voodoo, would you consider importing a used Tesla? If you have your own company you could buy it as a company car and with 0% bik now on electric cars write it off against tax.
    There is a thread on ev forum about this. Seems to be a runner.

Just for anyone considering that, be careful of the 'new means of transport' clause that might require VAT to be paid here when mileage is less than 6k km. Great price for a great car though. I have no doubt the dealers here would be completely fecked if it wasnt for the pcp availability. The only reason one would go to a dealer here instead of picking up that car is pcp finance and the higher monthly payments on a bank or credit union loan.
    Say someone has 12k cash in hand for car and borrowing the rest. A new se on pcp at 5.9 might cost 575 month. This used one with 12k cash and a loan at 8.9 percent might cost 675 per month for 5 years. Id rather go for the 5 year finance and own it at that stage but the better monthly will steer alot of people into the pcp never considering the situation that will arise at year 3.
    Pictures dont do justice to the M sport either. They are stunning in reality.

Are there many people coming in buying a brand new 530e straight with just a cash deposit though? I'd imagine most would have a trade in of some sorts to use towards a car of that value which would rule out buying in the UK unless you shift your own here first.

• Advertisement

Bazz
    Are you still thinking of 430d gran coupe yourself?

Bazz
    Are you still thinking of 430d gran coupe yourself?

Was looking at them but I'm in too minds now. The larger engine appeals to me but the drop in interior quality and comfort coming from the F10 would concern me. Another concern is nobody knows what the mid term holds for diesels and I could potentially be stuck with a large diesel engine that nobody will want in a few years. Realistically I'd only be able to come up 2 years as prices are very strong even in the UK and even at that I'd say the cost to change would be fairly steep as F10 prices seem to be dropping alot faster than F36.

Re people buying straight, I'd imagine with the amount of pcp cars going back in now to bmw and with alot of them with zero equity left in them, alot of bmw new car sales will be with 90 percent cash deposit I'd imagine.

I don’t understand your last comment mick.
    You reckon people will be buying with all their own money as opposed to pcp as no equity in their trade in?

No I meant majority of people will find they have little or no trade in so they will be buying on pcp again but with most of deposit from cash as opposed to trade in value.
    There was a time when anyone buying a 60k car would have a 35k trade in. I believe that will be the exception now.

I get you now.
    Dealer deposit contributions will start becoming more prevalent to get people into deals too I reckon.

But guys what about the “great” 181sterling offer only available from your trusted local dealer!

M sport cars do look great alright.
    Voodoo, would you consider importing a used Tesla? If you have your own company you could buy it as a company car and with 0% bik now on electric cars write it off against tax.
    There is a thread on ev forum about this. Seems to be a runner.

I just read through that entire thread, makes for damn interesting reading! I was in the Tesla showroom about a month ago, I have to saw I was very impressed by the vehicles on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Yes there would be no "might" about it though as far as I am aware, if its under 6k km you will have to pay the VAT. My mates brother did the very same thing recently on an F10 520d, didn't do his homework and was looking at a big VAT bill, he drove it for a few months to get the mileage up after finding out.

Yes the finance is definitely more expensive, but doesn't touch the total saving. Like my interest in the 330e last year, my intention would be to run a 530e on pure electric as much as possible. Will be looking at a new car next year for sure and this is near the top of the list.

He should be able to get a VAT refund from the UK if that's the case. You shouldn't pay VAT twice on any item within the EU as far as I am aware. His VAT bill should be quite small, I done an example calculation on this before.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104352082

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I just read through that entire thread, makes for damn interesting reading! I was in the Tesla showroom about a month ago, I have to saw I was very impressed by the vehicles on show.

Re: EV company cars and 0% BIK

Has anyone looked at importing a used Tesla S from the UK.

They're available for approaching £40k now and VAT Qualifying are available too for another saving to a VAT registered company.

How much would VRT be on a 2014 Tesla S?

• Advertisement

I had quick look at them the other night and just can't justify spending that dough on a 3 and near 4 year old car. Not to mention the lack of support on this side of the water.

I was surprised to see no Tesla options on the VRT calculator, I would have thought they'd have it up by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement