Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That usually means that nobody has imported one recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Tesla’s don’t have the best reputation for being well screwed together. Apparently squeaks and rattles are common and exaggerated by the quiet Powertrain.
    That said they are almost rebuilt when sold as approved used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Tesla’s don’t have the best reputation for being well screwed together. Apparently squeaks and rattles are common and exaggerated by the quiet Powertrain.
    That said they are almost rebuilt when sold as approved used.

Is it possible to buy an approved used Tesla in the UK for import to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Re: EV company cars and 0% BIK

Has anyone looked at importing a used Tesla S from the UK.

They're available for approaching £40k now and VAT Qualifying are available too for another saving to a VAT registered company.

How much would VRT be on a 2014 Tesla S?

would a used I8 qualify for the 0% BIK and Vat saving?

Idbatterim wrote: »

Unfortunately not.
    Hybrid cars not included has to be all electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

no but a range extender i3 does

Got a quote to change 330e in new year for 520d/530e.
    Usual BMW piss take. Sterling value!

Clear your message box mick dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I've been pricing the import of 171 530e s with under 10k miles, and 161 730ds with about 10k miles and they're not far off each other on price. VRT is about €4500 higher on the 7, but this will drop in January, as will the proportional price compared to the 5.

In which case to me, its a no brainer to go for the 7, the standard spec on the launch 7s is hugely impressive, way up on previous years. No such thing as a paddy spec 7 any more. Whereas searching through the approve used 530s, i'm finding it hard to fine one with a spec i'd like (not one has comfort seats). First world problems and all that, but I traveled as a passenger in an F11 with sport seats last weekend for two hours and was not impressed with the seat comfort at all. As nice as it looked.

Got a quote to change 330e in new year for 520d/530e.
    Usual BMW piss take. Sterling value!

Clear your message box mick dw

Not one bit surprised to be honest. Premium prices when buying but not when trading on.

I'm hoping to get a cost to change price on a well specced 430d GC tomorrow myself. Was chatting to someone over email but not driving up to Dublin to be insulted so hoping they will give me a ballpark figure over the phone. I'm expecting it will be laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I have given up hope of buying a new BMW. I just can't see how I would change without losing my shirt. Currently looking at a 7 series 2011 type of year. I could buy it and push it into a river when bored of it and lose less than I would going back to trade in a 1 year old 5 series from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not one bit surprised to be honest. Premium prices when buying but not when trading on.

I'm hoping to get a cost to change price on a well specced 430d GC tomorrow myself. Was chatting to someone over email but not driving up to Dublin to be insulted so hoping they will give me a ballpark figure over the phone. I'm expecting it will be laughable.

What year Bazz?

Lads I just have a bit of passing interest in this thread. One thing that stands out to me, BMW are absolute snakes, you all seem shocked constantly at the prices or how little they offer you as a trade in. The only way to do it is go to the uk... I wouldnt even waste time with BMW ireland...

Lads I just have a bit of passing interest in this thread. One thing that stands out to me, BMW are absolute snakes, you all seem shocked constantly at the prices or how little they offer you as a trade in. The only way to do it is go to the uk... I wouldnt even waste time with BMW ireland...

Easier said than done when you have a car to trade.

Wailin wrote: »
    What year Bazz?

2016. It has very similar spec to my F10.

Not easy when you have a car to sell that's value is outside the comfort and finance zone of private buyers.

Easier said than done when you have a car to trade.

He said my car would be easy to sell next year as it is so desirable then sends me a quote for a new car with laughable trade in value for it buried in the middle.
    I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised as it’s an opening offer but still not impressed.

Murphy and Gunn?
    They have a couple.
    Why not push the boat out and go for the 440i they have?

I have given up hope of buying a new BMW. I just can't see how I would change without losing my shirt. Currently looking at a 7 series 2011 type of year. I could buy it and push it into a river when bored of it and lose less than I would going back to trade in a 1 year old 5 series from what I have seen.

I was like this for a long time, but i'm coming around to the idea of "my car costs me xxx amount a month, what can I get for similar money". My 12 year old 740 is costing me over €7k a year to run. For not a lot more, I can get into something superior, newer and with no real worries. Even with big depreciation, the outgoing is essentially the same. I always said i'd never be seen dead in a diesel, but trips to Dublin from Dundalk are becoming more frequent and the current 730d is quicker than my V8 petrol. Modern engines are so impressive, ever so slowly the bigger old blocks are looking a bit long in the tooth.

To be honest a 440i is just a bridge too far for me. I just did an insurance quote for it and it nearly tripled on what I paid back in September. The 430d only goes up by about €150. Lovely car though.

I was like this for a long time, but i'm coming around to the idea of "my car costs me xxx amount a month, what can I get for similar money". My 12 year old 740 is costing me over €7k a year to run. For not a lot more, I can get into something superior, newer and with no real worries. Even with big depreciation, the outgoing is essentially the same. I always said i'd never be seen dead in a diesel, but trips to Dublin from Dundalk are becoming more frequent and the current 730d is quicker than my V8 petrol. Modern engines are so impressive, ever so slowly the bigger old blocks are looking a bit long in the tooth.

Any relatively new 7 series will surely depreciate more than 7k a year though?
    According to the dealer I spoke to,my 330e has depreciated 21k in 18 months

Holy ****. I'd doubt they would be selling it on so cheaply. Goes to show you how overpriced cars are here when new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

How does his valuation compare to one that you can import? As a consumer we are getting shafted by the low sterling affect on 2nd hand cars and the BMW Ireland not dropping new car prices by enough of a % to reflect that.

My car was just serviced and has a service pack.
    It needs a valet and four new tyres before it would go for sale.
    I guess they would retail it for about 8/9k more than the offer. The only other 330e msport of the same age for sale in the BMW network has about 5k less kit than mine and is for sale at 10k more than I was offered.
    I will get a few more valuations but will be slow to go new BMW again at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

My car was just serviced and has a service pack.
    It needs a valet and four new tyres before it would go for sale.
    I guess they would retail it for about 8/9k more than the offer. The only other 330e msport of the same age for sale in the BMW network has about 5k less kit than mine and is for sale at 10k more than I was offered.
    I will get a few more valuations but will be slow to go new BMW again at this rate.

The 330e is probably the best value new BMW on the market. Poor trade in has been a hallmark of main BMW dealers especially the Dublin based lads, so I’d shop around and dont be afraid to try selling it private - I remember selling a 2 year old 3 series to a 19 year old farmer for cash

Aherns in Castleisland are supposed to be good on prices, worth a try.

That's the kind of figures that scare me and make 1000 euro tax and sub 30 mpg seem reasonable when the purchase price is so low as they age. I do like the car and I nearly went for a 330e but didn't in the end. I'd say it's the optional extras that are causing the depreciation to be that high. Just keep the thing at this stage. Do you still like it??

Aherns in Castleisland are supposed to be good on prices, worth a try.

They don’t seem to do many petrols though, I heard they didn’t sell any 330e’s this year

Casati wrote: »
    They don’t seem to do many petrols though, I heard they didn’t sell any 330e’s this year

I'd say that's mostly down to their location and their customer base who probably have more use for diesel than petrol or petrol electric. Dealers in the likes of Dublin would have a higher customer base that would use petrol or electric than a dealer down in Kerry. Given that OP would probably be placing a factory order it's probably a mute point anyway.

I'd say that's mostly down to their location and their customer base who probably have more use for diesel than petrol or petrol electric. Dealers in the likes of Dublin would have a higher customer base that would use petrol or electric than a dealer down in Kerry. Given that OP would probably be placing a factory order it's probably a mute point anyway.

My point is that if they aren’t selling them new then they are’nt going to find it easy to sell a used one either

I thought about that after I posted. I'd say someone looking for a 330e will travel for the right car. Would obviously take them a bit longer to sell than a similar diesel but it's not an undesirable car.

• Advertisement

That's the kind of figures that scare me and make 1000 euro tax and sub 30 mpg seem reasonable when the purchase price is so low as they age. I do like the car and I nearly went for a 330e but didn't in the end. I'd say it's the optional extras that are causing the depreciation to be that high. Just keep the thing at this stage. Do you still like it??

I will keep for now and I do like it. Cheap for me to run in a daily basis but obviously now the level of depreciation factored in makes it not so economical.
    I won’t be buying new BMW again however.

Would it be worth lpg ing the 740?

Possibly, but I don't plan to hold onto it for much longer. I do low miles so may not see the benefit for some time even if I did.

I did the maths last night and it would cost €14k a year to repay and run a 161 G12 730Ld/740Li, twice what i'm paying now. Seems mad when I think about, but there's not much else i'd rather spend money on than a nice motor. And i'd likely keep it for minimum 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

70,000 for 5 years of a car :eek:

70,000 for 5 years of a car :eek:

Sure you could spend that on drink, fags and cheap hookers 😊

Possibly, but I don't plan to hold onto it for much longer. I do low miles so may not see the benefit for some time even if I did.

I did the maths last night and it would cost €14k a year to repay and run a 161 G12 730Ld/740Li, twice what i'm paying now. Seems mad when I think about, but there's not much else i'd rather spend money on than a nice motor. And i'd likely keep it for minimum 5 years.

I'd say the price of those cars will drop another good bit over the next year or two. As you are in no rush, you could wait a year or two for the real depriviation to be over and purchase then. Also the cost of financing will be considerable on that kind of value car ie a161 7 series. I'm assuming the only cost you are being done on is motor tax? If you don't put much fuel into it, that won't be much of a saving. Insurance negligible difference id imagine.

• Advertisement

Sure you could spend that on drink, fags and cheap hookers 😊

What would be more fun though?
    At the moment I feel BMW are definitely screwing me.

What would be more fun though?
    At the moment I feel BMW are definitely screwing me.

No I agree, 21k in 18 months is absolutely sickening to be fair. I paid 36k for my 131 525d touring start of 2016, car would have cost 75k new and i got 24.5k for it as a trade. I'd never dream of buying a new car, never mind a new BMW.

I'd say the price of those cars will drop another good bit over the next year or two. As you are in no rush, you could wait a year or two for the real depriviation to be over and purchase then. Also the cost of financing will be considerable on that kind of value car ie a161 7 series. I'm assuming the only cost you are being done on is motor tax? If you don't put much fuel into it, that won't be much of a saving. Insurance negligible difference id imagine.

All valid points i'e considered. Yes tax is the killer, as is any kind of a decent length journey but small beans in the grand scheme of things I agree. I'd only do part finance too. Next year will tell all.

All valid points i'e considered. Yes tax is the killer, as is any kind of a decent length journey but small beans in the grand scheme of things I agree. I'd only do part finance too. Next year will tell all.
    the tax is considerable, but even that figure is a joke or tiny fry compared to entry level bm's etc losing a fortune in the first 2-3 years. I just cant believe how high the figures I am hearing are, given that its the like's of 520'd etc, hardly 530 or 540 petrol or whatever m sports!

The best deal I ever got was 4k for a 2006 Alfa Romeo 156 in 2010.

4 years old and it had dropped from 35k at a guess.

It's still in my family my brother has it now.

Anyone suffering this kind of depreciation like carsfan2 just remember, it only really kicks in when you sell!

Anyone with a newish BMW, hang on to them don't go back to the dealer to go again and play into their hands. They'll be quick enough being fair then, although I know this won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Anyone that's imported a 330e managed to change the speedometer readouts?
    I changed over to km/h in the settings but I still get cruise control showing a mp/h digital number.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Linomanytsar

On the subject how accurate are the VRT calculations, considering importing a 420D from the UK. Went to test drive one at BMW and was told that the estimates on revenues website could very because of extras. Has anybody seen this and what is the variation.

At the end of the day, extras on a 420d wouldn't influence the VRT price too much, considering they would likely total £3000-£5000 max on average on the initial selling price. Factor in revenues rate of depreciation and the percentage VRT charged, you wouldn't be looking at much more than a grand in variation. This will obviously change depending on the age of the vehicle, but likely in a downward fashion assuming its at least a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,545 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

On the subject how accurate are the VRT calculations, considering importing a 420D from the UK. Went to test drive one at BMW and was told that the estimates on revenues website could very because of extras. Has anybody seen this and what is the variation.
    That's just salesman bullcrap. The vet figure will be accurate apart from extras.
    They are charged at the same percentage rate as the vrt and reduce to zero over 4 years. So 5 worth of extras on a new car with 20 percent vrt would cost 1000.
    same extras on a 3 year old would cost 250 or so.
    lots of people find the vrt due is a few hundred less than quoted - if the quote was at the end of a month and you go to vrt in the next month, you could find it has dropped a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭ajamesr

I'm thinking of trading in my Octavia VRS Diesel while Diesel still has some value. Bit concerned about the price drop that might take place in coming year or 2. I'm tempted by the 330e given the grants and discounts currently on offer.
    330e M Sport for just under 41000 seems like a really good deal. But what is the value of the car going to be considered going forward? Will depreciation be based of the 53270 price before Grant/VRT/ & Sterling discount or will it based on the 41000 price after those discounts?
    I have seen some onwers aggrieved that their car has depreciated so much (and I presume their figures are based on depreciation from the higher original price) and others are complaining that the dealers have a cheek selling traded in vehicles at a higher price than it is to purchase a new vehicle after the discounts.

So if I buy a car valued at 53000, but a grant and some discount gets me the car for 41000, isn't that car still a 53000 car?
    I mean if the grant was pulled tomorrow and the Sterling discount ends at the end of March, then that same car will now be available for the original 53000. The Grant doesnt devalue the car does it? Its just being funded from a different source.

So if I go to trade it in after 6 months, is my starting price 53000 or 41000? Is the grant and other discounts effectively wiping 12000 of the value of the car before its even left showroom? Or could I expect to get perhaps 45000 for a car that cost 53000 6 months earlier? Or will it be the case that even if I went back a week later I would not get more than the 41000?
    Do all future second hand purchasers of the car expect to benefit from the discounts that the original purchase availed of?
    In other words who is actually benefiting from the grant? Is it just the manufacture and not the purchaser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Well... don’t for a second think you are going to beat the depreciation game buying a new car. Because you won’t.
    Your car will always be valued relative to what a similar new one can be got for - minus a serious wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The 2nd hand price of the car is driven largely by new car prices. If all the grants and discounts that you recieve dissappear then that will help your 2nd hand value. By the same token if they double the grants and discounts, you'll suffer more. Dont think you're buying a 50 something k car though if anyone can buy it for low 40s.

Sure BM could say the RRP of the car is 100k but they'll contribute 50% of the cost on their big 181 sales drive. Thats a 50k car not 100k car.

Buying new will cost you regardless of what way they dress it up.

Funny I was looking at 161 330e in the UK this evening. Pro nav, sport plus pack and few other nice options.

Asking price is 22k stg and vrt is 2k euro.

Is there a vrt refund on a car like that does anyone know? Or is that only on new motors?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801303221437

There is also a brand new 3 Series model going on sale at the end of this year which will have a further impact on resale values of the current model.

And just on the point of the dealer selling second hand versions for more than it costs to buy a new one - that is not strictly true is it? I mean a new vehicle is still being sold by the dealer at more expensive price than the second hand version, it doesn't matter to the dealer how the price is being paid. They are selling the new version for 53000 or whatever it might be, but 7500 of that is being paid by the government. I mean the invoice will still have 53000 on it, not the price after the grant is paid.
    So while it makes sense for a buyer to buy new rather than second hand while they can avail of a grant, is the dealer at fault for selling the second hand vehicle for a price that is cheaper than the starting price, but just more expensive than the price after grants etc. Why is the original purchaser being punished for availing of a grant that is there to encourage people to go electric?
    Otherwise all a grant does is wipe value of the car from day one that it can never recover from even after the grant expires.

And if it is the case that these 330e's bought with the help of a grant will forever have that grant amount wiped of their value - how does that affect future 330e's sold that won't have grant aid? 5 or 6 years from now, these particular 330e's will be pretty sought after on the second hand market as they will be noticable cheaper than second hand vehicles that weren't purchased with the aid of the grant. Or will it all just even out after a few years?

Another way I was thinking about it was this: If there was no grant but I was a very shrewd buyer and had some kind of impressive negotiating skills and managed to negotiate a discount of 7500 for myself on the starting price, surely this would not affect the future resale value of my car. My car would be equal value to someone else who just paid the asking price. I would be banking the difference for my negotiating skills. My car would not be worth less because I paid less at the time of purchase.
    Or if my very rich uncle gave me 7500 towards the purchase of the car, then again this would not affect the future value when I go to trade in. So if my rich uncle happens to be the government this time around, why should that affect the future resale value?

I presume the answer will be that because it is not a one off, but an entire range of these vehicles over a substantial amount of time have received these discounts, then it will impact negatively on the market value. But in theroy I don't see why it should. Why should someone else benefit from a grant that I received for being brave enough to take the step over to a new technology - thats why the grant is there.
    I guess this might work better if you just paid the correct price for the car at the garage and government posted you out a chq for the 7500. Wouldn't that then keep the value of the car up?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Well... don’t for a second think you are going to beat the depreciation game buying a new car. Because you won’t.
    Your car will always be valued relative to what a similar new one can be got for - minus a serious wedge.

NO, not going to beat depreciation, but I would like to beat the massive drop that diesel is going to take in the near future.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement