Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

13k is a normal enough amount deposit for such a car. My point is re the gfv. BMW are chasing sales and seem to have no regard for returning customer when offering these large deposit, zero equity at the end deals.
    Mercedes are using much more sensible gfv, coming up with more sensible monthly for e class and by all accounts will be able to easily get customers into a new car again in 3 years.

To be fair the high GFMV does have positives too, as someone mentioned €9k/year isn't out of the way for depreciation on this class of car over the first 3 years.

Lots of them are paid for from car allowances too I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Yeh but dropping €13,000 every 3 years never mind the monthly repayments is bloody insanity.

MarkN wrote: »
    Yeh but dropping €13,000 every 3 years never mind the monthly repayments is bloody insanity.

Ya. A 5 series costs what it costs but there is no genuine reason to be offering them at 349 per month when it takes a huge wedge of cash also every 3 years to make that a reality.
    I would be all for the the high gfv if it was part of a small deposit deal - Then as carsfan said, it would basically be a lease type deal with no expectation of equity at end. People would then only buy if they knew they would have funds to put up new deposit each time.

I'm not so sure. €50k ish car depreciates by about 50% over the first 3 years. If you want to drive one from new you'll have to pay that, be it upfront, over PCP or wherever else you pull the cash from.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Ya. A 5 series costs what it costs but there is no genuine reason to be offering them at 349 per month when it takes a huge wedge of cash also every 3 years to make that a reality.

I would think they just want these particular ones out the door. It's only one dealer I think doing it.

• Advertisement

Some figures from 2014 :)

Model 520D SE
    Term of Agreement 37 Months
    First Monthly Payment €600
    35 Monthly Payments of €525
    On The Road Cash Price €47,320
    Customer Deposit €14,105.23
    Total Cost of Credit €7,860.38
    Optional Final Payment (inc €75 fee) €22,100.24
    Total Amount Repayable €55,180.38
    APR % 9.57%
    Klms per annum 15000 15000

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. €50k ish car depreciates by about 50% over the first 3 years. If you want to drive one from new you'll have to pay that, be it upfront, over PCP or wherever else you pull the cash from.

I would think they just want these particular ones out the door. It's only one dealer I think doing it.

There’s no doubt the maths are right it’s just €13,000 every 3 years, suppose it’s €4,000 a year ish and then low payments but just when you think about throwing away that money (and this is coming from someone who loves cars)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Augeo wrote: »
    Some figures from 2014 :)

Model 520D SE
    Term of Agreement 37 Months
    First Monthly Payment €600
    35 Monthly Payments of €525
    On The Road Cash Price €47,320
    Customer Deposit €14,105.23
    Total Cost of Credit €7,860.38
    Optional Final Payment (inc €75 fee) €22,100.24
    Total Amount Repayable €55,180.38
    APR % 9.57%
    Klms per annum 15000 15000

Apr almost 10%!

Figures are very similar to today’s otherwise.
    I’m betting Bmw will reduce the apr on the 5 soon to maintain sales after March especially the new Audi A6 has just been unveiled.

There’s no doubt the maths are right it’s just €13,000 every 3 years, suppose it’s €4,000 a year ish and then low payments but just when you think about throwing away that money (and this is coming from someone who loves cars)!

I think it's no harm to see a PCP deal that at a glance looks to be set up so that there's quite likely to be zero equity come the time to settle :)

I 100% see where you are coming from though..

I think when it’s outlined in stark terms like that, it crystallizes what the car costs and it isn’t pleasant but we don’t think about these costs every day.
    We would all Buy Dacia if the costs were all that counted

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    You could approach it as a glorified private lease deal Mick, expect no equity and hand it back.
    The cash price quoted is reduced even from the sterling price so I am guessing these are pre reg or basic stock cars. It is only joe Duffy I see running these ads.

I enquired about this Joe Duffy deal to out of interest to see how they are offering new cars at further discount than the 9% available everywhere else.

Its nothing short of fiction. There is not a single car now available at the reduced price. The advertised figures were based on ONE brand new heavily discounted car that they made available.

Unbelievable nonsense. The ads are still up so make of that what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

No doubt they're skirting the right side of advertising guidelines within a hair's breadth, that's ludicrous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say all they had to do was make the offer on one particular car to satisfy the advertising standards. Pure chancers.

I think that is mis selling.
    They are effectively advertising something they don’t have for a price that doesn’t exist.
    Very poor form but not surprised really.
    Did they give you any figures for cars they actually do sell?

Yes straight back pretty much ignoring my query re the advertised price and hit me with the standard figures which included the 9 percent discount.

Yes straight back pretty much ignoring my query re the advertised price and hit me with the standard figures which included the 9 percent discount.

Thinking about it,
    I thin the advertising standards authority would have an issue with that ad as the product at that price is not actually for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Did they give any indication of finanace rates they seem to be gone high with BMW again

From memory, I think 4.9 % on 3/4series and 5.9% on 5 .
    I’m sure it’s on their website.

I sent a quick message to bmw Ireland about this. They came back to say that cars are available at the reduced price but that obviously they would be without extras at that price. Fair enough.
    I don't know if they were in touch with the dealer or not but today I had a further email from dealer claiming that there were crossed wires and that cars can in fact be had from stock or factory order at the reduced price.
    So today they can get me a factory order with metallic paint for 46610!

The mind boggles. I have it all on email so no crossed wires from my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I sent a quick message to bmw Ireland about this. They came back to say that cars are available at the reduced price but that obviously they would be without extras at that price. Fair enough.
    I don't know if they were in touch with the dealer or not but today I had a further email from dealer claiming that there were crossed wires and that cars can in fact be had from stock or factory order at the reduced price.

so BMW 520d se at 47k? seems GVFM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Cyrus wrote: »
    so BMW 520d se at 47k? seems GVFM...

Looking back the thread that’s the same cash price as 2014! A lot of car for that money

Left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing.

Or maybe trying to catch people who are not too stringent on doing the maths?

looking at the BMW website, the 520d se is 49k on the road with the sterling offer so this offer is really just a further discount, I presume for a straight sale.
    introduce a trade in and I am sure they will get it back on that side as it seems to be the norm to lowball all trade ins.
    However, I don't know how they can order a car from the factory at this price as the sterling offer is supposed to be over 31st March unless the sterling prices are going to continue indefinitely and are the de facto new car prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Anyone manage to hardwire a dashcam? Are there any easier points than the fusebox in the engine bay or having to use an extra long cable from the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

stesaurus wrote: »
    Anyone manage to hardwire a dashcam? Are there any easier points than the fusebox in the engine bay or having to use an extra long cable from the boot?

Did you get any info on this in the end? Just imported a 330e in the last week. Very impressed so far... but afraid to tap the electrics to add dashcam!

Another question I had, is has anyone else imported one and managed to change cruised and speed limiter to KMs from miles. I've set KM as the unit in the setup menu and other views are showing correctly... just not the cruise.

Halfords do a fairly straightforward hard wiring kit that takes the hassle out of it.

Don’t know if the cruise can be reprogrammed by software but it can’t be done in the simple units change on the iDrive.

stesaurus wrote: »

Tap into cigarrette lighter not an option?

If the car is still under BMW warranty then I'd either byte the bullet and get a BMW dealer to hardwire a dashcam or just run it out of the 12v/cigaret lighter socket and wait until the warranty runs out before hardwiring it. Any issues with electrics later attributed to an aftermarket hardwire will void your warranty. All imo of course.

Well, I had a look today and found a 12v socked upside down under the (passanger side) glovebox next to center. Plugged into it and happy days. Wiring fits easily under trim around doors too so totally hidden and job done in 20 mins... Incl rear camera!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, Buzzfish can i ask if you bought off main dealer, and how did you find the whole process. Im looking to do the same thing in a few months. Thanks.

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi, Buzzfish can i ask if you bought off main dealer, and how did you find the whole process. Im looking to do the same thing in a few months. Thanks.

Bought from car supermarket but still has manufacturers warranty. If you look at my previous posts you'll see a very detailed post I made on the process when buying wife's car a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Did you get any info on this in the end? Just imported a 330e in the last week. Very impressed so far... but afraid to tap the electrics to add dashcam!

Another question I had, is has anyone else imported one and managed to change cruised and speed limiter to KMs from miles. I've set KM as the unit in the setup menu and other views are showing correctly... just not the cruise.

Ended up tapping into the back of the 12v socket that's under the glovebox. I could have just used the 12v adapter also but meh.
    Same issue on the cruise control for me. At some point I'll drag out the laptop and try the coding. I did a fair bit of coding in my old i3 and it's the same process.

There's 1 years free Deezer that came with the car. I activated that before realising it won't work outside the UK. Boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

With Bimmercode, you can definitely code it to add the digital speed in km/h. That’s useful if your main clocks are MPH. I was also looking for the cruise units myself too at the time and I didn’t see a setting for that. I must look again soon (Bimmercode is regularly updated with new tweaks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sorry if this has been asked previously but there seems to be a good sample size of owners on here now.

What kind of MPG / L/100km are owners getting with these?

Are they hard to insure?

They seem to be just starting to become available for 20k Sterling in the UK now.

I have a commute of 40km which is roughly evenly split with N roads, motorway and town driving. I also might have the ability to charge at work so it might be feasible to largely do the commute on mostly electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Somewhere around 50-60% of your commute using electricity from what others have said, assuming you can charge at work. If not then you're into finding best driving mode for you between battery regeneration using engine or just using petrol only/electric only for different parts of journey. But apparently car is smart enough to do this for you in most efficient way using sat nav if you tell it where you want to go before next charge.

Petrol only you are looking at lows of 30mpg to high of 40mpg on the petrol engine.

During the week you won't have enough hours in the day to charge again so you'll be driving it as a petrol or normal hybrid apart from commute.

Each plug in if it gets you 20kms is really only saving you 2 or 3 euro of petrol. It's a bit gimmicky with such a short range but I still like the idea. I would treat it as a petrol car I can sometimes drive as an electric but 250bhp petrol is not to be sniffed at. I drove one and its a nice car.
    Only thing is I drove a 5 series just after and its not a patch on the 5 inside.
    Then I sat in g30 new 5 series and it looked very dated all of a sudden.

But it does drive very well a bit number than the 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I got a loan of this car for a day (m-sport) and am well impressed. It's stunningly quick and a joy to drive compared to my E90 diesel. It feels like a much lighter car - even the 2.0L petrol has plenty of power on its own. When you put the foot down in sport it just takes off and goes and goes. My work commute is 27km there and back so just on the cusp of the total battery range, but as someone else pointed out it's best not to think of it as an electric car with small range, but a regular m-sport with some electric capabilities.

I've decided to buy one but the prices here are shocking - dealer wants €43k for a 181 msport (no specced extras) - another dealer has a 171 for €40k list price! Looking across the water I can bring in a 171 reg m-sport with lots of extras for €30k including VRT. I know where I'll be going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wonder would the recently launched 530e make more sense? A much fresher car, bigger, better finished, more refined, longer battery range (I think they claim 70 odd kms on battery only).

Probably a fair bit more money though I guess!

I had a loaner new model 520d for a couple of days last week... it was “only” an SE spec but I was very impressed with it.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wonder would the recently launched 530e make more sense? A much fresher car, bigger, better finished, more refined, longer battery range (I think they claim 70 odd kms on battery only).

Probably a fair bit more money though I guess!

I had a loaner new model 520d for a couple of days last week... it was “only” an SE spec but I was very impressed with it.

There is a bit of a price difference alright. Personally while I do like the 5, it's just a bit big for me. I think size wise the 3 series is the sweet spot for me.

It will be interesting what range the new G20 (?) model out this year will have. I hear rumors there will be two variants, one a 325e and a 330e with 230/265hp...

EDIT: As an update, I got 11km from a 50% charge on my loan 330e, so around 22km full charge. Thats with a motorway trip. It it had 20km usable range more it would be ideal for me. Still think I'll go for one.

So I finally did it.

Just put down a deposit on a 10 month old 330e M-Sport shadow edition in Estoril Blue in the UK. Demo model. Collecting it next week. Good spec and only 6k miles. After VRT and expenses I will have saved at least €8k on current dealer prices here. The UK is the way to go for these lads. Can't wait to give it a spin :)

The spec said it comes with Online Entertainment which I read to be music streaming, but I think this is UK only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Nice one. Smart way to get into such a fresh car. Throw up a few pictures when it lands. Are you going over to collect it? We bought a car last year in England and got it delivered for a few hundred quid.

Out of interest what's the vrt calculator showing it will cost. I brought a 2014 3 series over yesterday and would say your fresher car would probably be less.

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Nice one. Smart way to get into such a fresh car. Throw up a few pictures when it lands. Are you going over to collect it? We bought a car last year in England and got it delivered for a few hundred quid.

Out of interest what's the vrt calculator showing it will cost. I brought a 2014 3 series over yesterday and would say your fresher car would probably be less.

Cheers mate. VRT was showing as €2.9k for the year and mileage, which I didn't think was unreasonable. What was your 2014, would have thought it less for the year?

I'll throw some pics up for sure. I'm flying over myself and planning to get the ferry back same day (6 hour drive so who knows!).

Elessar wrote: »
    So I finally did it.

Just put down a deposit on a 10 month old 330e M-Sport shadow edition in Estoril Blue in the UK. Demo model. Collecting it next week. Good spec and only 6k miles. After VRT and expenses I will have saved at least €8k on current dealer prices here. The UK is the way to go for these lads. Can't wait to give it a spin :)

The spec said it comes with Online Entertainment which I read to be music streaming, but I think this is UK only?
    Would you mind giving a rough price landed?

Would you mind giving a rough price landed?

It comes in a shade over €30k, not including the travel expenses etc. Fairly happy with that, though I know I'll undoubtedly take the same depreciation hit in a few years :o

That's very good for a shadow edition 2017
    Dealers are taking the piss here.

Cheers mate. VRT was showing as €2.9k for the year and mileage, which I didn't think was unreasonable. What was your 2014, would have thought it less for the year?

I'll throw some pics up for sure. I'm flying over myself and planning to get the ferry back same day (6 hour drive so who knows!).

Vrt on mine was 5600. The omsp of my car would be less but the % based on the emmisions would be higher.

3k vrt on such a new car is great.

vintagevrs wrote: »

Vrt on mine was 5600. The omsp of my car would be less but the % based on the emmisions would be higher.

3k vrt on such a new car is great.
    It's the rebate which is the biggest help on the 330e. 2500 rebate on new car reducing with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

So I finally did it.

Hi, can i ask you are you buying off main dealer and what method of payment they accept. Lovely car btw.

The hybrid/EV rebate of 2.5k is included in the final VRT which is why it is on the cheap side. The UK is definitely the way to go if going hybrid or EV.

And BMW Connected Online is standard on all new BMWs for the last number of years. It's a free service for the first 3 years (usually expires at the same time as the manufacturer's warranty) but can be extended or re subscribed to afterwards for a fee. It's handy but not essential. It gives you things like internet access and remote access to your car.

You can add your vehicle by registering here: www.bmwconnecteddrive.ie or if your car is a UK car then www.bmwconnecteddrive.co.uk

For anyone buying in the north or UK, IV said a number of times before but I would really recommend revolut. When I bought the seat last year the money was in the dealers account same day doing a bank transfer from my revolut account. Same story a few weeks ago when I bought the 3 series. Also, the exchange rate is unbeatable. If you're spend a significant amount of money on a car, the exchange rate alone will save you hundreds.

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi, can i ask you are you buying off main dealer and what method of payment they accept. Lovely car btw.

Yep its from a main dealer using bank transfer. That is probably your best bet, I'm using transfermate to do the conversion. Keep an eye on the car supermarkets aswell, particularly Motorpoint.co.uk which has new 330e's in stock almost every day.
    The hybrid/EV rebate of 2.5k is included in the final VRT which is why it is on the cheap side. The UK is definitely the way to go if going hybrid or EV.

And BMW Connected Online is standard on all new BMWs for the last number of years. It's a free service for the first 3 years (usually expires at the same time as the manufacturer's warranty) but can be extended or re subscribed to afterwards for a fee. It's handy but not essential. It gives you things like internet access and remote access to your car.

You can add your vehicle by registering here: www.bmwconnecteddrive.ie or if your car is a UK car then www.bmwconnecteddrive.co.uk

Cheers for that, I was thinking aswell about the online entertainment option, which seems to be streaming music but it only seems to be available in the UK and a select other few countries. Oh well, I'm sure the pro nav has a few more bells and whistles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement