Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mickdw wrote: »
    An idiot why?

he is wasting 2 hours to drive 25km when he has petrol engine which he can go home and plug in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    he is wasting 2 hours to drive 25km when he has petrol engine which he can go home and plug in......

Maybe he is waiting for someone and may as well plug it in while there?

MaceFace wrote: »
    Maybe he is waiting for someone and may as well plug it in while there?

i didnt call him an idiot :P

I just explained why you might think he is one which was the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

An idiot why?

He's either wasting two hours of his life to get 25km of range or he's waiting around for someone for maybe 30mins. In which case he's gone to the pain of unraveling his charge cable, plugging in, validating his card and then having to undo all again. All to save 15c of electricity

What size battery is in them?

What size battery is in them?

Less than 6kWh usable

stesaurus wrote: »
    Less than 6kWh usable

Bigger one in my laptop here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

He's either wasting two hours of his life to get 25km of range or he's waiting around for someone for maybe 30mins. In which case he's gone to the pain of unraveling his charge cable, plugging in, validating his card and then having to undo all again. All to save 15c of electricity

He's likely not saving electricity but petrol. Maybe a quids worth and in the grand scheme of things not much but a euro is a euro.

MaceFace wrote: »
    He's likely not saving electricity but petrol. Maybe a quids worth and in the grand scheme of things not much but a euro is a euro.

Probably driving the wrong car if €1 is that valuable to them ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Just wondering how long it would take a 330e to charge on standard charger? also what range

Seen a guy parked in Dunboyne train station reading the paper while charging....

Is it really worth his time
    3.3kW max so around two hours for 25-30km. He's an idiot basically

Mine takes 2 hrs. Does make it a little pointless to plug in at Tesco etc where I'm only in there 30 mins and blocking a leaf or other bev that may end up waiting.... However, the more of us that plug in and take up charging slots the more pressure that will come on the government/ESB to sort out the infrastructure resulting in more of us being brave enough to go BEV and not PHEV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

viperirl wrote: »
    For owners of the 330e do you find the extra weight of the car to be an issue in terms of handling? I bought an IS300h a while back and while I respect it for its near bulletproof reliability and comfort, the car is not quite doing it for me. I liked it during test drives and it seemed like a good decision at the time (wanted to get away from diesel) but over the course of ownership I'm having some regrets.
    2 things: 1. In tight corners/roundabouts you can feel that weight and the front tyres squirm just a little. I had a 318d before and it felt far lighter on its feet and more nimble.
    2. Coming off roundabouts when getting the power down, it just takes too long to get going and doesn't thrill. Motorway is fine though - it's 70-120 is pretty quick.

As a previous Alfa owner I understand what you mean on handling and I have to say I think the 330e is incredible. The weight distribution is 50/50 over the wheels as the battery is over the back wheels and into the boot. It's very balanced when you push it and go sliding sideways on a roundabout but always feels well planted and settled in corners. Pickup is excellent also when in sport or your not waiting on the engine to kick in. Ithink the weight is well handled and compensated for by the motor and the layout of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The is300 is front wheel drive isn't It? I'd say any 3 series feels more planted. I drove a 330e, nice car. Planning on getting one an msport in next little while, prices in UK are good and stg is beginning to devalue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rwd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Probably driving the wrong car if €1 is that valuable to them ðŸ˜

Its free so why not?

Cant blame him

Should be a 50c a min charge on those chargers to stop this behaviour and the penny pinchers in Leafs/Ioniqs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I plug my PHEV in for a charge anytime I go down town in my local town, not because I need the free €1 worth of electricity (although that's nice too) but more because it gives me free parking in any one of a number of prime parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Why is the depreciation so bad on the 330e?

Seems a class car

Fast 250bhp, 30km on electric, looks well

1 year olds in UK for 22k Inc vrt

New are over 40k

That's crazy depreciation

Don't think I have seen worse

Even a Dacia keeps its value

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807188547097?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2017&postcode=m52ty&model=3%20SERIES&page=1&make=BMW&fuel-type=Hybrid%20–%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

Are they falling faster in value than a 320d?
    I think it's a great car and start of 2019 I will be heading over to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Would you consider a 530e?

Wailin wrote: »
    Would you consider a 530e?

I'd love a 530e but I dont take loans I always buy my cars with my own money and they are too expensive. I'd hope to be picking up a sub 20k euro at start of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I asked why people considered the guy an idiot?
    He has a car that can avail of free charging and was at a train station. The obvious answer is that he is waiting for someone. So say he only gets half charge, he has given himself 15 km free while he had to wait there anyway.
    In my opinion if he sat there with his plug in hybrid, not charging, he would be an idiot.
    Also you need to consider the cost of the journey on petrol not the amount of free electricity he got.
    Probably saved himself 3 euro petrol with the half charge.

He has a car that can avail of free charging and was at a train station. The obvious answer is that he is waiting for someone. So say he only gets half charge, he has given himself 15 km free while he had to wait there anyway.
    In my opinion if he sat there with his plug in hybrid, not charging, he would be an idiot.
    Also you need to consider the cost of the journey on petrol not the amount of free electricity he got.

Half a charge would take an hour. Who waits at a train station for an hour?
    It would be a lot less than that. Then add in the hassle of the cable and card. It's not worth the €1 petrol or 15c if electricity.
    Spending upwards of 40k on a car and wasting an hour of your life to save €1 is kind of an idiot in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not wanting to start a new thread and looking at BMW e options, the X5 E comes in at ok money but for something that only has a 31km range why are the depreciating so quickly? Late 30s in the U.K. for a 2016.

It would be a lot less than that. Then add in the hassle of the cable and card. It's not worth the €1 petrol or 15c if electricity.
    Spending upwards of 40k on a car and wasting an hour of your life to save €1 is kind of an idiot in my book.
    Electric car folk are strange. Ev is best thing ever, range is never an issue. Having to plan cross country journeys by charge point location is fun, having to hang around service stations for long periods to get that critical charge on board is just a coffee brake yet some guy sitting waiting at a train station in a phev grabs some free electricity because he can and is most likely passing time anyway and suddenly he is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not wanting to start a new thread and looking at BMW e options, the X5 E comes in at ok money but for something that only has a 31km range why are the depreciating so quickly? Late 30s in the U.K. for a 2016.

Great car in theUK BIK tax wise so lots opted for by employees. That skews the number purchased vis a vis what they might purchase with their own money which is the hallmark of a second hand purchase. At one time, UK fleet purchases (where BIK can be key as there are few commercial travellers anymore) accounted for 70% of the new market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Are they falling faster in value than a 320d?
    I think it's a great car and start of 2019 I will be heading over to get one.

Think that’s the answer, sure you see 2018 320d’s for 22k Sterling, from what I see all BMW’s plummet in value. The 330e make a great import purchase

I notice that the X5e’s are a good few grand dearer than the 2.0 diesels or indeed 3.0 diesels and they aren’t 7 seater so if I was buying one in the U.K I might leave the petrol plugin behind and get the diesel. Probably better for towing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Gave a 530e with 130kms on the clock a good run today. Handling is a bit odd. Nice power though, cabin is so quiet and it's the clearest way of hearing how refined the cabin is in terms of outside noise. You don't appreciate it as much in the diesels. You can literally whisper.

Msport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

None so blind as those who WILL not see.. etc.....

Comments like this are premised solely on a cost argument.

Why would a casual observer not consider that the alleged 'idiot' actually believes in some principles around carbon neutrality, or perhaps not adding to the Lead, CO and NO/NO2 content of the local schoolyard...

Why would one not consider that the alleged 'idiot' had a great opportunity to read a great book for an hour, add to his/her already glowing sense of self-worth and contribution to the planet by obviating the purchase of the finite hydrocarbons, aaaand get something (anything!!!) for nothing from the leeching system that has him/her over a barrel every other day of the week.

For most true practitioners of PV- powered homes, EV/PHEV/Hybrid vehicles and such like, its not actually just about the money. It's often, if not usual, that waaay more is spent in € than is paid back in those terms. Rather, principled stands that are underpinned by personal spends that don't always result in early monetary pay-back is more the norm. And if you don't understand that, you don't see the sense of joy and achievement the alleged 'idiot' felt at the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

MarkN wrote: »
    Gave a 530e with 130kms on the clock a good run today. Handling is a bit odd. Nice power though, cabin is so quiet and it's the clearest way of hearing how refined the cabin is in terms of outside noise. You don't appreciate it as much in the diesels. You can literally whisper.

Why was the handling odd? Any details?

I see the F30 330e is no more. Cannot be ordered from the factory now, anyone buying a brand new one will have to take one that is already in the country or wait for the new G20 model early next year.

• Advertisement

and I believe Mercedes have "pulled the Plug" on the current hybrid range, producing no more until they get their next generation tech into the cars shortly.
    Tech is seriously fast moving in this area.
    E350e for example is a pretty new car (Ive not even seen one) and now its being improved upon almost immediately.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I see the F30 330e is no more. Cannot be ordered from the factory now, anyone buying a brand new one will have to take one that is already in the country or wait for the new G20 model early next year.

What is difference between old and new?

My mate is about to buy brand new X3 to replace a X5, I told him he was mad....any hybrid X3 coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Anyone else here own a 330e?

I’ve mine now two months. It’s actually fairly pointless as far as the electric part goes. I rarely use it if I’m honest. It’s still the best of the three series. It’s FAR superior to a 320d for sure but probably not worth the extra $$$.

When I do charge the full 30k it tends to run out in the day with the town driving I do which is fair but the thing absolutely DRINKS on the motorway.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

I’ve mine now two months. It’s actually fairly pointless as far as the electric part goes. I rarely use it if I’m honest. It’s still the best of the three series. It’s FAR superior to a 320d for sure but probably not worth the extra $$$.

When I do charge the full 30k it tends to run out in the day with the town driving I do which is fair but the thing absolutely DRINKS on the motorway.

Anyone else?

i've the mercedes c350e, just curious what your range is like on the battery, i know the battery is slightly larger on yours, but do you get the advertised range or anything near to it?

The advertised range for the merc is 31kms, but when fully charged it never says more than 25kms, i'll only get near 25 when using the battery on the moterway, otherwise its around 18/19 kms.

i've the mercedes c350e, just curious what your range is like on the battery, i know the battery is slightly larger on yours, but do you get the advertised range or anything near to it?

The advertised range for the merc is 31kms, but when fully charged it never says more than 25kms, i'll only get near 25 when using the battery on the moterway, otherwise its around 18/19 kms.

Yeah it’s similar. It says 30km range but it’s down to 25 after about a kilometer. It varies, I always leave it on auto mode so it just uses petrol until I hit a town or village then then the electric kicks in which is great. It saves it for you. There’s a few modes that allow you to “save” battery too like if I go on the motorway for 10 mins and hit save it’ll put about 10km back into the battery for town driving later. When you’ve “work” or “home” programmed into the sat nav it’s VERY clever how it uses the electric. It knows I want to use just electric for my short commute in the mornings and evenings and I can get two and from work/gym/home on just electric.

I mean it’s a clever system but 30km is kind of bad. It would be nice to have 100km in it so charging isn’t constantly on my mind. Having said that it always seems to have enough electric to get you around town even when the battery is on 1km, it kind of goes into a mode where you drive a few meters in petrol and the electric will kick back in again for a few hundred meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

30km is poor alright, only those with very short commutes could drive it comfortably without charging anxiety!

What’s it like on petrol then once the battery has run out? I assume if you don’t (or forget) to charge it, it drives fine in petrol mode?

Is there very noticeable “jerkyness” or lagging as it switches between full electric mode and engine kicking in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Anyone else?

If you don't charge it much isn't it effectively a 320i for your usage? Presumably it's only superior to a 320d if it's charged?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    30km is poor alright, only those with very short commutes could drive it comfortably without charging anxiety!

What’s it like on petrol then once the battery has run out? I assume if you don’t (or forget) to charge it, it drives fine in petrol mode?

Is there very noticeable “jerkyness” or lagging as it switches between full electric mode and engine kicking in?

To be fair it’s grand for me I’ve only about a 10k commute but the battery could still be bigger.

Running the electric and patrol together it’s unbelievable how good it is. Averages about 100mpg. When the electric is gone it’s about 6.4l per 100k.

There’s absolutely no noticeable change between the electric and petrol what so ever. It’s possibly the cars best feature. The gear changes and transition between sport mode and regular and electric is seamless.

PaulKK wrote: »
    If you don't charge it much isn't it effectively a 320i for your usage? Presumably it's only superior to a 320d if it's charged?

It’s still 100BHP more than the 320i even when the battery is completely flat. It’s still a twin turbo patrol engine under the bonnet. It eats 320d cars alive.

• Advertisement

I don't think the 330e is twin turbo, they have a twin power or scroll turbo which isn't the same thing.

Presumably there’s a minimum amount of charge always available..... electric range might be zero but there's juice there to give the max bhp ?

OSI wrote: »
    :confused: I thought it was effectively a 320i with Hybrid tacked on? The petrol engine is only ~180 on its own

Yes its the same petrol as the 320i with 184 bhp however even if never plugged in, it still will serve up 250 bhp when called for. In general it does this by keeping a battery reserve at all times and uses various efficiency tricks to charge it - from regeneration when slowing down to using the petrol engine when its running to add energy to the battery.
    In short, if you never plug it in, it will be a pretty thirsty car but it will always have electric power to add to the mix. 320i is nowhere close to as quick. 320d at similar money is surely only for high mileage user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah it's a 320i with an electric motor. 2l 4pot single turbo with about 180bhp. Then the electric motor has about 70bhp to top it up to the 250bhp. I still think early adopters are/will get stung on depreciation on these, hence I went with a diesel.

Yes its the same petrol as the 320i with 184 bhp however even if never plugged in, it still will serve up 250 bhp when called for. In general it does this by keeping a battery reserve at all times and uses various efficiency tricks to charge it - from regeneration when slowing down to using the petrol engine when its running to add energy to the battery.
    In short, if you never plug it in, it will be a pretty thirsty car but it will always have electric power to add to the mix. 320i is nowhere close to as quick. 320d at similar money is surely only for high mileage user.

It’s exactly this. There’s never a power drop off even when the battery is empty. It’s still using around 250bhp.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah it's a 320i with an electric motor. 2l 4pot single turbo with about 180bhp. Then the electric motor has about 70bhp to top it up to the 250bhp. I still think early adopters are/will get stung on depreciation on these, hence I went with a diesel.

Big time. When I look at the UK prices it’s sickening. Early adopters of everything always get stung though. Tesla next year for me, I’ll never learn though.

Doesn't the car generate/retain a certain level of charge in the battery for the electric motor with the ICE engine/regenerative braking, etc similar to how a Prius type hybrid operates?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Doesn't the car generate/retain a certain level of charge in the battery for the electric motor with the ICE engine/regenerative braking, etc similar to how a Prius type hybrid operates?

Yeah. It’s never quite dead. Always have the full 250Bhp unless the patrol is low or you’ve a soft tire or if there’s any other light on the dash... which in a bmw is MOST of the time.

It’s been back to the stealership twice in two months and going back again next week. Engine light constantly on, issues with air conditioning, other random issues. There’s also a recall on the battery issue at the moment.

• Advertisement

It’s been back to the stealership twice in two months and going back again next week. Engine light constantly on, issues with air conditioning, other random issues. There’s also a recall on the battery issue at the moment.

nightmare stuff if one had such a car outside warranty.
    I guess the moral of the story is not to have one without bmw warranty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement