Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 330e

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

MaceFace wrote: »
    Just noticed the 330e is now in the BMW configurator.
    I don't see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its up there alright - but I don't see any way of getting to it without knowing the URL

I got the URL from BMW Ireland last week - http://bit.ly/330eConfig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Go down to the end if the model listings. It's not listed with the regular models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

fletch wrote: »
    I don't see it?

Takes a bit of finding.

Go to the configurator for all models, not just the 3 series then scroll all the way to the bottom and the electric vehicles are there to build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

If you click into 'All models' - its not there at all. You need to go to quick links, and then go to Build Now (https://www.bmw.ie/en/ssl/configurator.html#/modelRange=)

Even that page looks like its outdated - has the old 1 series on it, but does have the i Performance range (which is what the 330e is branded)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I haven't agreed whether to buy straight or do pcp but have the figures. If you buy without bmw finance, you just pay less the 7.5 k vrt relief and seai grant.The way bmw treat it for pcp is not exactly as voodoo says but close in that they take the 2.5k vrt relief off the top alright but the 5k Seai grant is included towards your deposit not off the top.
    For example if the car you buy is 45k i.e. 52.5k before grants, they treat it as a 50k car.
    If you want to put in 30 per cent towards this, you pay 10k and the seai is the other 5k which you never see. This is instead of you putting in 13.5 k of your own to make 30 percent of 45k.
    Effectively you put in less of your own money up front but are paying off a 50 grand car not a 45 grand car.
    I argued the toss over this with my sales guy but this is the way bmw treat it for pcp. The gfv is then based on the higher figure too and is about 44per cent if I recall.

I hope I have explained it ok. I had a lot of back and forth with the dealer trying to get a handle on this. I think they are being a bit smart but the bmw argument is that they price the car relative to 330i and relief is not available to everyone.

Just had a drive off one this weekend and my experience of the PCP structure was different!
    They took the full 7.5k off the price and based payment and gfv on that figure.
    So the spec I choose was about 55k, less the grants made it 48.5k which is the figure the payments and gfv was based on.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just had a drive off one this weekend and my experience of the PCP structure was different!
    They took the full 7.5k off the price and based payment and gfv on that figure.
    So the spec I choose was about 55k, less the grants made it 48.5k which is the figure the payments and gfv was based on.

What was it like to drive?

R.O.R wrote: »
    What was it like to drive?

Quite nice, handling was ok, not as sharp as I would like, but it wasn't an M Sport so that should be easily addressed.

The auto box was incredibly smooth, you wouldn't notice the petrol and electric working together. It did have a bit of a lag getting the power spooling up in normal mode.
    Sport mode helped, but I'm probably a bit spoiled from the V8 power everywhere!

When it got going it's quite rapid, great linear acceleration to 160+...so i was told. 😉

Spec wise it's very well kitted out and a very nice place to be. Overall I was very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I test drove one twice, and just got a price for my Golf against it. I am still unsure whether it is the right car for me though, and am leaning towards a 330d instead. The 330e was nice drive and good power (when the battery had charge) but I think if you drive it semi spirted at all the battery will drain before you know it. I need to shift the Golf myself though as the price they gave me was far too low. 13K lower than I paid for it less than 10 months ago ffs.

I can change into a well specced 2014/5 330d for nothing so think that might be the route to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I got pcp figures initially both ways re the grant from the dealer to see what they were but at the end the dealer said Bmw will only do it the way that the 5 k grant goes into the deposit, not off the top. They said this is Bmw Ireland policy.

Apparently the batteries keep a " hidden reserve" of at least 12 per cent so you never run out of electric power. Don't think it's a car for constant foot to the floor anyway.
    330d is a great car but they are thin on the ground and lot more expensive new.
    I traded on mine after a year and lost lot more than 13k I'm afraid. Get a facelift/Lci model as it is much better car even though doesn't look much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone drive the passat gte yet.
    Why did they not go for a 1.8T or 2.0T instead of the 1.4T or at least offer it?
    Edit. I see it's rated at 215 bhp all in but still think bmw and mercedes have it right with decent petrol engines plus electric in 330e and c350e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyone drive the passat gte yet.
    Why did they not go for a 1.8T or 2.0T instead of the 1.4T or at least offer it?
    Edit. I see it's rated at 215 bhp all in but still think bmw and mercedes have it right with decent petrol engines plus electric in 330e and c350e

Because it is just VW. An Ingolstadt creation is supposed to compete with other two Bavarian brands, not VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

grogi wrote: »
    Because it is just VW. An Ingolstadt creation is supposed to compete with other two Bavarian brands, not VW.

Ya fair enough. They would need to get the finger out on the A4 phev. New A6 should have one on release id assume.

We're people who specced it this that they needed another charger cable @600 quid?
    For fast charge apparently...

Standard cable charges in 3.5 hours and is a three pin plug while fast charge reduces this to 2 hours I think. Not bothered as happy to charge at home overnight but not surprised as Bmw like to charge for essential extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You'd need it if you got a home chargepoint or wanted to use the public slow chargers.
    Much cheaper to either buy a tethered home chargepoint, retrofit the free ESB one with a cable yourself or just buy a generic non brand cable online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I'm planning on buying a generic cable to connect to the ESB home charger. About 150 or so

I was going to apply for a free esb home charger when I get the car. Has anyone already done this? I assumed it would come with a cable?

I was going to apply for a free esb home charger when I get the car. Has anyone already done this? I assumed it would come with a cable?

It's non tethered as the cable can be different depending on the car so esb only supply the non tethered option.

Are they still giving the free charger though? Website says first 2000 free.
    If I get this I can then get a generic cable to attach to it?
    Will this make charging quicker so?

• Advertisement

Yep. Got one last week. All you need is the seai application number which you can get from your dealer after they complete the paperwork. From application to installation was 6 days.
    A generic cable should work such as this: http://www.4ev.co.uk/5-metre-16-amp-bmw-330e-ev-charging-cable-straight

Yes, no mentions of any shortages yet, they'll also probably continue beyond the 2000 imo.
    You could leave a cable attached to it but it wouldn't be locked unless charging, easily fixed though with some sort of padlock. Or if your handy you could wire it up permanently.

It would be quicker yes. Charging from 3 pin would give max of 2kw while the chargepoint would give you the 3.3kw max that the 330e offers. The battery is small so it won't take too long to charge anyway.
    The main reason to have a chargepoint would be for ease of use. I'd hate to have to rely on a non waterproof granny cable tossed through a window each night. Not very safe and a pain in the ass.

The BMW cable isn't 600 quid, here is the one in my quote.

345lc35.jpg

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The BMW cable isn't 600 quid, here is the one in my quote.

345lc35.jpg

Cheers, must double check mine, maybe it was the starter pack plus the cable that was quoted ...

What's included in a starter pack?

If the cable is only 225 then go with that one. The BMW cable I have coils and is a much better option at that price than the online ones.
    Also they really shouldn't be calling it a rapid charge cable, confusing terminology as there's nothing rapid about it.

Regards the starter pack, the salesman mentioned something and a tank of fuel. I imagine I would be asking for it to be removed. These "extras" is where they make big margin.

The default is to include everything. A paint protection product was a few hundred quid, gap insurance, service pack etc

Yeah, looking back the starter pack was 600, he says that it was a few cables.
    Guard X was 500 and service pack @450
    Think the service pack is the only one I'd keep unless I get better clarification on that starter pack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, looking back the starter pack was 600, he says that it was a few cables.
    Guard X was 500 and service pack @450
    Think the service pack is the only one I'd keep unless I get better clarification on that starter pack..

The service pack is worth it I think given how much a main dealer service costs.

Are people getting much discounts on their cars? I've read lots on bimmerforums where people in UK are getting around 20% of the RRP.

s.welstead wrote: »
    What's included in a starter pack?

If the cable is only 225 then go with that one. The BMW cable I have coils and is a much better option at that price than the online ones.
    Also they really shouldn't be calling it a rapid charge cable, confusing terminology as there's nothing rapid about it.

If official BMW, may be best to go with that as online it is €200 delivered. Know the length of the cable?
    Regarding coiled vs straight, coiled would be much better if hanging but if you want to store in the boot, then a non-coiled may be better.

Also, I guess rapid charging is taking liberties but it should be faster than the granny cable that uses a 3-pin socket. The fast charging cable should run at 16 Amps whereas the granny cable is 12 Amps. Not a huge difference, but one thing I have heard mentioned about using these with the i3's is that they may be called occasional use cables (if I remember the name correctly). There was questions over whether the granny cable could consistently handle a full load for an extended period of time. Still an open question for me...

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    The service pack is worth it I think given how much a main dealer service costs.

Are people getting much discounts on their cars? I've read lots on bimmerforums where people in UK are getting around 20% of the RRP.

I got about 5% for cash. That was the advise on what BMW typically give in Ireland.

20% off RRP seems very high considering the demand is so high that the have effectively sold out of them and dealers are not taking orders.

Edit - As above I would expect about 5% without any effort.

Starter Pack is dealer profit.

Full tank of fuel (or possibly a charged battery on a 330e?) and some BMW branded cleaning products. Used to be mats as well, but they are factory standard on 3 Series now.

If official BMW, may be best to go with that as online it is €200 delivered. Know the length of the cable?
    Regarding coiled vs straight, coiled would be much better if hanging but if you want to store in the boot, then a non-coiled may be better.

Also, I guess rapid charging is taking liberties but it should be faster than the granny cable that uses a 3-pin socket. The fast charging cable should run at 16 Amps whereas the granny cable is 12 Amps. Not a huge difference, but one thing I have heard mentioned about using these with the i3's is that they may be called occasional use cables (if I remember the name correctly). There was questions over whether the granny cable could consistently handle a full load for an extended period of time. Still an open question for me...

Coiled is far better for storing in the boot also. It drops nicely into a round bag.

I really wouldn't like to be using the granny cable regularly. Most people would likely use an extension cord to reach a socket as it's not very long. Coiled up extension running at high amps for an extended time will mean heat and possible fires with cheap extension cords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Starter Pack is dealer profit.

Full tank of fuel (or possibly a charged battery on a 330e?) and some BMW branded cleaning products. Used to be mats as well, but they are factory standard on 3 Series now.

Does your company pay for the starter pack when they're ordering or do they demand that it's included in the price?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    20% off RRP seems very high considering the demand is so high that the have effectively sold out of them and dealers are not taking orders.

Edit - As above I would expect about 5% without any effort.

Would you expect the same discount or more if going PCP?

• Advertisement

Open to correction here, but the method of payment makes little difference to the dealer. They will get paid by a suitcase of cash or via BMW finance, it's all the same to them.

However, I believe they are targeted on selling financial products, so in theory it is possible you would get a better discount if buying with PCP if they needed to meet a PCP target, but doubt it.

After I agreed the cash price with the sales rep, I was told that if I wanted to take a PCP, I could decide anytime up to delivery date. I also think that they would be amenable to discounting if they sold a PCP as it's not exacly cheap (3.9%)

Does your company pay for the starter pack when they're ordering or do they demand that it's included in the price?

Hell No!

We get 20 litres of fuel included in our discounted price and the drivers just have to do without the cleaning products.

After I agreed the cash price with the sales rep, I was told that if I wanted to take a PCP, I could decide anytime up to delivery date. I also think that they would be amenable to discounting if they sold a PCP as it's not exacly cheap (3.9%)

Yeah, the salesman was pushing PCP to me so I had a feeling that a bigger discount might be there if I enquired further..

Hell No!

We get 20 litres of fuel included in our discounted price and the drivers just have to do without the cleaning products.

Discounted price you say....

Do you take trade ins? :)

• Advertisement

I have read about the 20 percent discounts on the uk forums on regular 3 series but the one 3 series model that they are not discounting over there is the 330e as demand totally outstrips supply.

Here I think 5 per cent is as good as you will get and pcp or not is irrelevant it would appear. I am undecided although dealer is pushing it and says why spend my own money when I can invest it elsewhere? I don't know what way to go.

Re the cable is the 250 euro Bmw one enough to make it charge faster with a domestic socket or do I need a charging station as well?
    I was looking for the seai grant number but dealer said he doesn't have it as they haven't applied for the grant as they need a chassis number which they don't have yet. My car is being built this week so he will have it in a few days and then they intend to apply for grant he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have read about the 20 percent discounts on the uk forums on regular 3 series but the one 3 series model that they are not discounting over there is the 330e as demand totally outstrips supply.

The list prices in UK are in GBP, calculated with a rather conservative exchange rate. Since GBP got much stronger, they can afford to give more discounts.

Here I think 5 per cent is as good as you will get and pcp or not is irrelevant it would appear. I am undecided although dealer is pushing it and says why spend my own money when I can invest it elsewhere? I don't know what way to go.

Re the cable is the 250 euro Bmw one enough to make it charge faster with a domestic socket or do I need a charging station as well?
    I was looking for the seai grant number but dealer said he doesn't have it as they haven't applied for the grant as they need a chassis number which they don't have yet. My car is being built this week so he will have it in a few days and then they intend to apply for grant he says.

Yes you need a chargepoint. The cable doesn't have a 3 pin plug on the end of it. You'll need this cable for public charging on the street chargers also.

Why do you need the seai number? The dealer will do all that for you. You'll have to fill a form and send it back and then seai/installer will contact you directly about getting the chargepoint in.

You will need the charging station as a domestic supply only provides 12 or 13 amps whereas the 330e can pull 16 amps. You will need the wall charger as well.

I got my SEAI application number a couple of weeks back I was told it would be another two weeks before my chassis number would be available.

s.welstead wrote: »

Why do you need the seai number? The dealer will do all that for you. You'll have to fill a form and send it back and then seai/installer will contact you directly about getting the chargepoint in.

My dealer did not. I had to complete myself.

Edit: Actually, I don't think the dealer can do that as you need to provide a bunch of information such as MPRN number, property details, where the charger will be installed (distance from fuse box). Also, there is a bunch of T&Cs you need to be aware of.
    I also had to pay €75 extra as I did not have space in my fuse box for the fuse board they needed to put in.

Pretty sure the 3pin granny cable will only charge at 10a when you set the charge rate to Max within the car. Even then you'd probably want to reduce that to Reduced or Low if you plan on using an extension lead.
    Either way get the chargepoint, it's free and much handier.

Mace face
    Did you need seai grant number to apply for the charging station?
    My car is the first hybrid my dealer has sold so not sure he knows what's what.

Mace face
    Did you need seai grant number to apply for the charging station?
    My car is the first hybrid my dealer has sold so not sure he knows what's what.

You do need the grant number as you need to supply it in the application form (link) which is off the main page.

I had to tell my dealer about some of the process. For example, they had no idea what the process was for the SEAI and VRT grant. There should be a BMW genius in the group who knows it all.

If you expect your car to be built in the next few weeks, I would push for the SEAI grant number now. You will need to sign a form on that application which the dealer will send off, but iirc, they will have the application number once they start the application process, so no reason they can't supply that now.

Once you get the number, apply. I filled in the online application form on the Friday before the bank holiday weekend. I had the charge point installed the following Thursday, so it's very quick.
    From the sounds of it, there are still plenty left.

You will also get a charging card in the post which will allow you to use any of the public charging points for free (until they bring in the charging).

Can I ask - when did you order and have you been given an expected delivery date yet?

I don't think my dealer has applied for the seai grant as he said he was waiting for a chassis number to do this...
    If they mess it up I ain't paying!
    I ordered the last week in March and car is due to be built this week. Dealer tells me it should be about 3 weeks after when they will get it.

I don't think my dealer has applied for the seai grant as he said he was waiting for a chassis number to do this...
    If they mess it up I ain't paying!
    I ordered the last week in March and car is due to be built this week. Dealer tells me it should be about 3 weeks after when they will get it.

Wow. Very early order. I am guessing you placed the order before you test drove?
    I ordered early May and it was a struggle to find a car to test. Have been told it will be mid to end July.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement