Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Server RAM

Options
  • 23-01-2016 2:10pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've an old PowerVault NX200 server at home that I'm running plex off, it's starting to struggle a bit as it only has 2GB of RAM in it so I'm looking to upgrade the memory in it, can anyone advice the cheapest place to get it?

The current RAM is DDR3 Synchronous Unregistered (Unbuffered), there are 6 slots in it and the max RAM is 32768 MB

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

According to CNet and the data sheet:
    Processors Installed 1 x Intel Celeron G1101 2.26 GHz
    Number of Cores Dual-Core
    Max Supported Qty 1
    RAM Installed 2 GB - DDR3

--

Memory 2GB, 2x1GB, 1066 MHz, 2R UDIMM

I think this is what you need, but you say the current stuff is unreg while the datasheet says registered so not 100%.

Either way, this may only partially solve the issues. The big selling point of plex is that it transcodes on the fly (as your probably know). Buffer is small so memory usage is low but CPU crunching is relatively high. Its not terrible, but its slower than my tablet. Have you checked performance numbers while somebody is streaming?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ED E wrote: »
    According to CNet and the data sheet:

I think this is what you need, but you say the current stuff is unreg while the datasheet says registered so not 100%.

Either way, this may only partially solve the issues. The big selling point of plex is that it transcodes on the fly (as your probably know). Buffer is small so memory usage is low but CPU crunching is relatively high. Its not terrible, but its slower than my tablet. Have you checked performance numbers while somebody is streaming?

Plex itself isn't too bad, but if I'm remote desktop into it and moving stuff around it takes ages and locks up, I guess the main issue is I'm using it a lot for different things

Advertisement