Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi extender wired with ethernet

Options
  • 23-01-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have presently a old router configured as access point wired to the main router. Problem I have 2 wifi network and i have to constantly swap between them depending on which room i am in.
    Do a wifi extender use the same wifi ID? or will have still have to constantly swap?
    I understand they work by receiving on one frequency and broadcasting on the other but can I get a Wifi extender that I can hard wire to the main router? if so please give example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

My Edimax repeater just died, but to answer your question I couldn't find a way to have both the main wifi router and the Edimax repeater to act as "one"..i.e. have the same network name etc..etc... I wanted my wireless devices to just connect to the strongest signal, but had to keep manually switching between "home network" and "upstairs" - I did ask the question here a long time ago but didn't get any joy, soI think this is the reason why I'm just going to get another router, at least I will have the extra 4 gigabit ports.....although I am open to suggestions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You should be able to just use the same network name and security settings on both, then devices should switch seamlessly.

Don't use a wifi extender/repeater, it will just slow your network down.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You should be able to just use the same network name and security settings on both, then devices should switch seamlessly.

Don't use a wifi extender/repeater, it will just slow your network down.

Do you mean with another router?

Yes. Don't use your edimax in repeater mode, just use it in normal router mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On a related question...

The wifi signal is pretty crap towards the back of my apartment so I've been looking at those powerline adapters. Had a basic set in the past and they worked ok, but looking at one that would have both an Ethernet port and WiFi.

Anyone using something they can recommend? Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Yes. Don't use your edimax in repeater mode, just use it in normal router mode.

I tried that before, seem to cause conflicts when named the same? My Edimax is actually heading for the bin - but my main router is a d-link dir 655...so your telling me if I had say another dir 655 connected to the main one via ethernet and switch I could basically have the same settings including the network name in both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    On a related question...

The wifi signal is pretty crap towards the back of my apartment so I've been looking at those powerline adapters. Had a basic set in the past and they worked ok, but looking at one that would have both an Ethernet port and WiFi.

Anyone using something they can recommend? Cheers :)

I have a TP Link powerline adapter for upstairs in my house. I have my PC plugged directly into it and I can use my phone/tablet upstairs whereas I couldn't before.

kingaaa wrote: »
    I tried that before, seem to cause conflicts when named the same? My Edimax is actually heading for the bin - but my main router is a d-link dir 655...so your telling me if I had say another dir 655 connected to the main one via ethernet and switch I could basically have the same settings including the network name in both?

It should work, both devices have to be configured the same tho. This means same wifi password, same other security settings, same subnet etc. Routers do not have to be the same model, it works fine for me with an edimax+devolo combo.

It should work, both devices have to be configured the same tho. This means same wifi password, same other security settings, same subnet etc. Routers do not have to be the same model, it works fine for me with an edimax+devolo combo.

I'll give it a go....thanks.

Advertisement