Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.D pricing

• 23-01-2016 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Whats wrong with D.I.D these days? your priceing is just outrageous on a lot of product compared to your competitors Currys. Over the last 4 months I have been in the market for a lot of products and on each occasion I will always check prices on line and on all occasions I found D.I.D a lot more expensive than Currys. There was a time when you could count on D.I.D to come in cheaper than currys but not anymore. You will price match when mentioned but so will everyone else, if I have to do the work and check prices I expect more that just price matching. I try to give my business to Irish companys but I will not do this when your pricing is so out of sync with your competitors and then you expect the customer to bring this to your attention. You have lost so much business from me over the last few months it is unreal. Get your act together D.I.D and price your products compedatively or do you just not give a toss about your customers??? Again if I have to bring a cheaper price on exactly the same product to your attention I expect more than just a price match, Get you act together D.I.D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Whats wrong with D.I.D these days? your priceing is just outrageous on a lot of product compared to your competitors Currys. Over the last 4 months I have been in the market for a lot of products and on each occasion I will always check prices on line and on all occasions I found D.I.D a lot more expensive than Currys. There was a time when you could count on D.I.D to come in cheaper than currys but not anymore. You will price match when mentioned but so will everyone else, if I have to do the work and check prices I expect more that just price matching. I try to give my business to Irish companys but I will not do this when your pricing is so out of sync with your competitors and then you expect the customer to bring this to your attention. You have lost so much business from me over the last few months it is unreal. Get your act together D.I.D and price your products compedatively or do you just not give a toss about your customers??? Again if I have to bring a cheaper price on exactly the same product to your attention I expect more than just a price match, Get you act together D.I.D

Currys/PC world are subsidiaries of Dixon Retail, they are a huge company and have a huge online sales business (revenue £8.2 billion in 2013) They can therefore buy in much bigger bulk than DID and can afford to offer better discounts and even sell below cost to clear stock. It is simple market economics. Why are you complaining if DID will price match something you say is much cheaper elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

You have lost so much business from me over the last few months it is unreal.

If you have that much to spend as you suggest, why are you so concerned with a few euro price difference.?? Or is it a little exaggerated?

Btw - have you ever tried to bring a faulty product back to currys? Hmmmm.... Lets just say its not a great experience. And that is the understatement of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Good business sense is to get customers into your store and give them good service and good value for money and they will keep coming back. Now while D.I.D do give excellent service that is not enough in my option. Why should you have to mention that you can get a certain product much cheaper in you competitions shops and just expect them to match the price, they already know what there compeditors are charging so they should be pricing accordingly. Why should the customer have to do all the work and expect you to mention it to them so they can get the business, thats not good business sense in my option.
    Yes I have had to return a faulty product to currys and the service I received was second to none. Davo10, you argument about simple market economics does not stand up especially when they will price match. Why don't they just price accordingly and maybe they will get business and grow their business as big as there competitors, instead of hoping you don't mention anything so they can charge you the higher price. Vincepp it is the principle of the way they do business and no it is not exaggerated, check for yourself on there websites so do you just like wasting money?. This is not just 5 or 10 euros , in one case the difference between the same product was 145euro, now if you have that type of money to waste then fair play to you but I don't, you will alway get a few euro difference, that acceptable but not that much. By the Amy do your work for D.I.D

Good business sense is to get customers into your store and give them good service and good value for money and they will keep coming back. Now while D.I.D do give excellent service that is not enough in my option. Why should you have to mention that you can get a certain product much cheaper in you competitions shops and just expect them to match the price, they already know what there compeditors are charging so they should be pricing accordingly. Why should the customer have to do all the work and expect you to mention it to them so they can get the business, thats not good business sense in my option.
    Yes I have had to return a faulty product to currys and the service I received was second to none. Davo10, you argument about simple market economics does not stand up especially when they will price match. Why don't they just price accordingly and maybe they will get business and grow their business as big as there competitors, instead of hoping you don't mention anything so they can charge you the higher price. Vincepp it is the principle of the way they do business and no it is not exaggerated, check for yourself on there websites so do you just like wasting money?. This is not just 5 or 10 euros , in one case the difference between the same product was 145euro, now if you have that type of money to waste then fair play to you but I don't, you will alway get a few euro difference, that acceptable but not that much. By the Amy do your work for D.I.D

Op, do you understand the importance of economy of scale and the ability to bulk buy on retail unit price?

If Currys are able to put in an order for 20,000 55inch smart TVs with Samsung, can you understand how they would be able to negotiate a larger discount on the order price than DID who might be ordering 500? Currys can then sell to their customers at a lower price and still make more profit than DID makes even though DID charge more. IF DID discount to the same price level as Currys then they make much less profit than Currys as they would have had to pay more to Samsung for the TV. That is not good business sense, think about it a little bit, and the customer does all the work because s(he) is the customer and thanks to the interweb it has never been easier to compare prices. Nobody wants to pay €145 more than they have to but I have to understand the reasons why goods do not cost the same in every shop.

As I said if you treat your customers with respect and not treat them as fools they will come back time and time again, a small profit is better than none, thats how you build your reputation and eventually build your business. D.I.D is not that small, they over price for a lot of things and in my option with that attitude that will never grow as big as some of there Competitors. My point being if they are will to price match why don't they just match the price in the first instance, this will give customers more confidence in doing business with them, this way they will grow much quicker. Yes I do understand economy of scal but that goes out the window when you say you will price match. Do you not understand that if a customer thinks he is getting ripped off the chance of them returning are very small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

As I said if you treat your customers with respect and not treat them as fools they will come back time and time again, a small profit is better than none, thats how you build your reputation and eventually build your business. D.I.D is not that small, they over price for a lot of things and in my option with that attitude that will never grow as big as some of there Competitors. My point being if they are will to price match why don't they just match the price in the first instance, this will give customers more confidence in doing business with them, this way they will grow much quicker. Yes I do understand economy of scal but that goes out the window when you say you will price match. Do you not understand that if a customer thinks he is getting ripped off the chance of them returning are very small.

Economy of scale has NOTHING to do with a price matching policy. A small profit better than none? You realise there's a cost attached to every sale, right?

You're the worst kind of customer for a retailer trying to compete with a mammoth UK based competitor who can bring Sterling to Euro/Dollar purchasing to the game. Nobody sets up or stands a chance succeeding or even surviving by trying to keep a customer like you happy. If price is the only thing you ultimately attribute any value to, off you go to Currys/Dixons/PC World and Argos.

A price match isn't good enough for you it seems and you don't value what else comes with buying from an Irish retailer enough to pay for it, so you're really just the kind of consumer who fuels the fire you're trying to piddle on. Total waste of time trying to keep people like you happy or wanting your business in the first place.

Have you considered the possibility that if DID put their prices down to the same level as Currys, Currys would most likely drop theirs down even further?

I don't see why you are getting bent out of shape about this, Currys had sales of over eight billion pounds sterling (€11billion +) in 2013 and by any standards they are major players, DID on the other had would be minuscule players by comparison. It would seem logical that the bigger player could afford to sell at a discounted rate due to the sheer volume of sales, kinda like the way you know that your small independent grocery shop is always going to be a bit more costly than Tescos. That is an economic reality, and if you are offended by what DID are charging, just shop in Currys.

A few euro difference is acceptible but when it gos into the hundreds then that in my option is a rip off, especially when that equates to about 30percent of a mark up, do you think that is OK to do? 30 percent?
    BreadnBuddha, so I'm the worst type of customer for trying to get value for money, your having a laugh, I'm pointing out the Hugh price difference in identical products from two company's in the same business. Again if you like wasting your money that up to you, I don't especially when there is such a big difference, business is business and the number one thing to grow your business is customer satisfaction that to me is customer service, pricing, and after sales service,. As I said I do not have an issue with either company's sales or after sale service so that just leave pricing.

A few euro difference is acceptible but when it gos into the hundreds then that in my option is a rip off, especially when that equates to about 30percent of a mark up, do you think that is OK to do? 30 percent?
    BreadnBuddha, so I'm the worst type of customer for trying to get value for money, your having a laugh, I'm pointing out the Hugh price difference in identical products from two company's in the same business. Again if you like wasting your money that up to you, I don't especially when there is such a big difference, business is business and the number one thing to grow your business is customer satisfaction that to me is customer service, pricing, and after sales service,. As I said I do not have an issue with either company's sales or after sale service so that just leave pricing.

Some customers cannot be satisfied, even when goods are sold at a discounted price. I think DID will survive without you.

The point of this tread is about over pricing, not we're I buy or do not buy a product, if it was currys over pricing the same would be said. It amazes me that there are still people who accept over pricing to that extent. You just keep over paying for your products and keep telling yourself that they are only a small company sure and need the money. You think they care about you? I don't think so. It's because people like you who do not question why they are so overpriced is the reason why shops will continue doing it, and yes they have big windows so they can see people like you coming.

• Advertisement

Davo10, what discounted price are you referring too. Did you not read the tread, the identical product was 30percent more expensive how is that a discounted price. I know these shops will survive as long as there are people with an attitude of 'sure they are only a small company, they need the money'

Advertisement