Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another LUAS fine!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

OP, try walking on a Dublin Bus without validating your card when you've hit the cap, let us know how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thehollowhorn

A question here, based on something I saw on the Luas this evening.

Young fellow has his ticket inspected, and it's a 7-day unlimited use student card that doesn't cover the zone he's travelling in. When asked to produce his student leap card it transpires that is out of date as well.

The inspector says 'i noticed you have a driving license in your wallet, would you mind producing that for me please?', the young fellow asks why he would do this, the inspector says 'that way I won't have to process all your details in the system, your fine will arrive sooner and it will save time for both of us'. The young guy objects to this.

The inspector then asks the young man for his date of birth, which he gives. When the young fellow goes to sign the fine he points out that on the slip it says 'If under 18, Date of Birth'. This young man points out that he is not under 18, and that the inspector had not even asked him if he was under 18 before writing down his date of birth. The young man asks the inspector why he did this.

The inspector mumbles an attempt at a response, and then says it is so that he can process the fine faster. The young man protests this is personal information that he had no basis to request from the young man. The inspector replies by saying that, as an authorised person, he is obliged to glean any information from people traveling without valid tickets that he sees fit to. The young man asks the inspector to cite the relevant legislation. The inspector does so.

I checked the relevant bylaw, somewhat intrigued by the plight of this young man, and it seems to merely say that a customer without a valid ticket must supply the inspector with their name and address.

Has anybody been in this situation before? Do they think the young man has a good chance at a successful appeal, or at having the fine overturned on a court appearance? If I were that young man, I would accept fully he had been caught with an improper ticket, although he didn't seem a regular LUAS user and seemed rather perplexed by the whole system. I would however be quite disturbed by the inspector adducing extraneous personal information from the young man in this manner.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

A question here, based on something I saw on the Luas this evening.

Young fellow has his ticket inspected, and it's a 7-day unlimited use student card that doesn't cover the zone he's travelling in. When asked to produce his student leap card it transpires that is out of date as well.

The inspector says 'i noticed you have a driving license in your wallet, would you mind producing that for me please?', the young fellow asks why he would do this, the inspector says 'that way I won't have to process all your details in the system, your fine will arrive sooner and it will save time for both of us'. The young guy objects to this.

The inspector then asks the young man for his date of birth, which he gives. When the young fellow goes to sign the fine he points out that on the slip it says 'If under 18, Date of Birth'. This young man points out that he is not under 18, and that the inspector had not even asked him if he was under 18 before writing down his date of birth. The young man asks the inspector why he did this.

The inspector mumbles an attempt at a response, and then says it is so that he can process the fine faster. The young man protests this is personal information that he had no basis to request from the young man. The inspector replies by saying that, as an authorised person, he is obliged to glean any information from people traveling without valid tickets that he sees fit to. The young man asks the inspector to cite the relevant legislation. The inspector does so.

I checked the relevant bylaw, somewhat intrigued by the plight of this young man, and it seems to merely say that a customer without a valid ticket must supply the inspector with their name and address.

Has anybody been in this situation before? Do they think the young man has a good chance at a successful appeal, or at having the fine overturned on a court appearance? If I were that young man, I would accept fully he had been caught with an improper ticket, although he didn't seem a regular LUAS user and seemed rather perplexed by the whole system. I would however be quite disturbed by the inspector adducing extraneous personal information from the young man in this manner.
    Many thanks.

The inspector asked for a date of birth and got an answer. 'The young man' did not have to give the date of birth. No law against him asking the question, he didn't water board him for the answer.

Also, if the young man is so perplexed by the notion that he has to have a valid ticket before he uses the luas then he might need other life lessons before going out in public. Teach him things like paying for items before leaving a shops, wiping his arse after having a dump. Things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Many thanks.

absolutely none. the inspector asked him to produce a valid ticket. he could not do so. the questions the inspector asked him do not change this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The inspector says 'i noticed you have a driving license in your wallet, would you mind producing that for me please?'

This is what the bye law says
    A passenger who is on a light rail vehicle without a valid ticket shall pay the standard fare to an authorised person immediately or, at the discretion of the authorised person and where the authorised person is satisfied as to the name and address of the passenger, within a period of 14 days of having so entered the light rail vehicle, to the operator concerned.
    Section 4(5)
    Seems perfectly reasonable to want to check a driving licence over an expired student card, driving licences usually have the home address, whereas the student address can change, especially if it is out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Silly and honest mistakes such as the example given by the OP do not cost money. If you'd like to give the maths behind why you think they do, please go ahead.
    Do you think Luas employees work for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

SteM wrote: »
    The inspector asked for a date of birth and got an answer. 'The young man' did not have to give the date of birth. No law against him asking the question, he didn't water board him for the answer.

Also, if the young man is so perplexed by the notion that he has to have a valid ticket before he uses the luas then he might need other life lessons before going out in public. Teach him things like paying for items before leaving a shops, wiping his arse after having a dump. Things like that.

Indeed...I braked a wee bit heavier when I got this far....

Had I ventured a bit further,I might have enquired what the subjects the "Student" was studying ?

However I suspect the required answer goes something like this....

Absolutely !...this young man's constitutional rights have been trampled upon,and as a result,he stands a very good chance of bringing down the RPA and Transdev with a class action for cruel & unusual punishment.

To the barricades,comrades...burn the bondholders !!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement